Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am considering Speaker Upgrade from the factory ones for 2019 EXL. My other car is a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL with Premium Sound System(Rockford Fosgate), and I can tell the difference in terms of Speaker Sound Quality.

My wife does not want me to upgrade the speakers as she thinks that our Pilot's sound quality is good enough, however, I would like to hear from the people in the forum who have upgraded speakers from the factory ones, and if the upgrade was worth it or not.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,296 Posts
I have not upgraded my speakers so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

I find the speakers in my 2020 Passport Touring quite adequate for the purpose and location. I have never been to the symphony or a concert where they have played road noises as part of the listening experience, with the exception of a few compositions by P.D.Q. Bach. A vehicle is a less than ideal environment for seriously listening to music.

Like I said, this is just my take. In a vehicle I am just looking to be entertained for the duration of the drive. But then my first vehicle came equipped with an AM radio only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have decided to upgrade with below items after extensive research. I ordered them from Amazon Japan. (Amazon Japan does ship to US)

1. Pioneer UD-K614 inner baffle.

2. Kenwood KFC-XS174S component speaker.

A bit expensive, but I wanted to improve sound quality significantly, hence I chose these products.

I will post again once they are installed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Please post pictures. I would also like to upgrade the speakers on my 2017.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I put focals in my doors and it made a huge difference. My wife even noticed and she doesnt notice anything. Definately a worthy upgrade. Crutchfield had a buy a pair get a pair half off. Crutchfield includes the harnesses and instructions. You will need to trim plastic around the interior door panels. I used a dremel. A sharp knife safely used would work also

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put focals in my doors and it made a huge difference. My wife even noticed and she doesnt notice anything. Definately a worthy upgrade. Crutchfield had a buy a pair get a pair half off. Crutchfield includes the harnesses and instructions. You will need to trim plastic around the interior door panels. I used a dremel. A sharp knife safely used would work also
Thank you. I did not know that you have to do some modification to the trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o.k. I installed them today. Many thanks for all of the previous posts which made a much smoother process.

1). The sound quality is amazing. I installed a front door speaker and tweeter with minor sound deadening around the door speakers.

2). I did scratch the corner of the blind spot housing on the bottom while putting back the door panel. :(

3). I did not have to cut the plastic on the door panel around the speaker cover.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
20210507_183711.jpg
20210508_140839.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just installed pioneer coaxial speakers TS-C1730 on the rear doors today.

I also used kenwood SKX-202S for the inner baffle.

It was much easier than front doors as you don't need to detach door knob and you can simply turn trim by 90 degree and rest the trim on the chair as shown below.

As for speakers, they are not as drastic improvement as front speakers, but the sound became more realistic.

It is amazing that amazon Japan managed to deliver these speakers within 4 days from Japan.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Black Edition
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Black Edition and I am not impressed with the sound system. Audio from Bluetooth is horrible but sounds much better played from My Honda Data HDD.

My previous car was a 2007 Acura TL Type-S and the sound system was impressive.

Does the EX-L have the same speakers in the Black Edition?

Thanks for the post, I may go the same route as you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts