Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2019 EXL CONTINUAL AC Repair

695 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  sequoiasoon
Hi....I'm new here, so if I am in the wrong forum I would appreciate a shove in the right direction. I purchased my new to me pilot in March. It has been in the shop more that I have actually had possession of the car. The evaporator has been flushed and compressor replaced, then the compressor was replaced again, after that the evaporator, heater core and heater box were replaced. Now the compressor is being replaced again as well as the relay being replaced. Can anyone speak on what may be happening and what the service techs might be missing? I have come to love my pilot in the short time I have had it and would like to be a reliable car that I enjoy driving. At this point I am playing the loaner car merry go round.

Thank you in advance
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
Sorry to hear that things are not getting off to a great start with your newly acquired Pilot. I am not sure what the initial problem was they were trying to solve, but I will take a guess. My guess is that the compressor had a catastrophic failure. If that is what happened it will blow particles from the compressor into the system. This basically contaminates the system with small debris particles. If that is what happened, you have to flush the system (a flush machine is best), change the receiver/dryer element ( a filter of sorts), and they recommend changing the expansion valve (if can get easily clogged).

The condenser usually catches most of the debris and I usually just replace that to hedge my bets.

If, it was a catastrophic failure those can be a real mess if you are not diligent about getting the system clean before installing a new compressor. I have seen it happen before and it was similar to what you are describing. Multiple compressor failures.

If they are familiar with AC system repair I am sure they know about system contamination. But, that is what it sounds like to me.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the 1st repair occured the 3rd party warranty company would not approve the replacement of the evaporator. The 2nd repair they said the fact that the evaporator was not replaced caused the compressor to fail....they replaced it. Then they said the compressor was faulty and replaced it. The repair before this current issue was a complete replacement of the evaporator, heater box and heater coil. Now I am waiting on a backordered compressor. I also asked them to replace the relay. Can the service techs plug into the computer and let the computer give them the diagnostic code?
Also, what all within the system would you say the contamination could affect?

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Your in a loop of not correctly fixing it. When a compressor has catastrophic failure it contaminates the entire system with metal particles. Once the first repair failed, the second repair should have been to replace the compressor, condenser, evap, expansion valve, and lines. As long as there is metal in the system, your going to continue to have problems.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I had the paperwork in front of me to tell you what was replaced. It is currently in the shop for the 4th repair. Do you have any advice as to what should be said to the service team? I have met with my service writer and the service manager we were hoping the 3rd repair would fix it it, but no. They have even called American Honda because they were stumped. We are thinking about seeing if we can meet with the GM of the dealership, Sales Manager and Service Mgr to see if something can be done to just replace the car all together with essentially the same car!

· Registered
1,124 Posts
The service team should know this already, but are at the mercy of the warranty company, because they are the ones paying the bill. The real question is what's failing in your veh. If the compressor is internally failing every time, the only way to fix it correctly is to replace everything refrigerant touches. Anything not replaced will continue to circulate metal particles through the system and continue to keep you in repair/fail loop. If they remove the lines fron the compressor and swab them with a qtip they should be clean. They should have clear oil (possible green if dye was added to the system), if the qtip shows any dark particles or sludge, the system is contaminated.
I would talk to the service manager and see if they actually know what's going, regardless of what the warranty company is willing to pay for. Many times the customer calling the warranty company and raising hell will get them to approve the full claim. If you bought the warranty from the dealer you purchased the veh from, lean on them to make it right.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny thing....We cancelled the 3rd party warranty and now have a "Honda Warranty" through the dealership. Supposedly the best tech the dealership has is the one who has continually worked on my car! I will mention what you have said and see where it takes us. Just so incredibly frustrating!!!!

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,291 Posts
As Slvr7 said and if Honda dealer is doing it they know but it's all about the $$ that are covered. Maybe see what they cover and then what the rest would cost you if something you are interested in.

I had an '04 CRV in the family fleet that was known for what they call black death, basically self destructing compressors and contaminated lines. Dealer wanted crazy $$ because it's a lot of labor and parts and the all the lines that need to be changed. Rock impact put a hole in condenser and compressor failed. Those 2 parts were replaced by my father-in-law's shop. 2-3 months later compressor failed again because of the uncleared contamination.

I did the job myself which was not easy at all. Full kit with evaporator, expansion valve, compressor condenser was available so I got that. I knew if I didn't do something with the lines it would happen again. I removed them and used a lot of time and cleaner to get the stuff out. I used basically a rifle "bore snake" using reinforced paper towels and weed trimmer line from both directions until no more grey or metallic specks. The evap and expansion valve required cutting part of dash under glove box but was in the factory TSB instructions. I did the job outside in my driveway in January with layers and a hat. Son was taking it to school and with A/C for defrost on long trips to keep windows clear it's a safety issue IMO. A/C worked perfectly for the next 1.5 years, then the tranny went. With almost 270k on 15+ year old car with other issues, away it went. I think junk yard might have put a tranny in it and sold it. A/c was working perfectly ice cold all the way to junk yard.

Maybe Slvr7 or others have more information. My old Sequoia had TSB's for the compressor failures and full line replacements. The Sequoia had the rear heat and A/C (like the Pilot). The fix included replacing all the lines and 2nd evaporator in the REAR of the vehicle also. If you didn't and only replaced front section, repeated failure would happen from all the contamination in back. Only one compressor, junk makes it there at some point.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE.....
This past weekend we went to the Honda dealership that was "repairing" my 2019 ex-l. After asking about whether or not they had flushed the entire system since none of my repair paperwork mentioned it and them assuring us it had been done we just had this kind of feeling that it really had not been done and we honestly were sick and tired of the constant merry go round. Long store short...after hours of negotiating and even into the next day I am now the owner of a 2021 pilot special edition! Here's hoping it stays on the road and not in the shop! Thanks everyone for all of your advice. You played a roll in our family discussions and ultimate decision to "trade" up!

Sincerely,
Braydenbabysmom

Attachments

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Probably good.

Now consider if you purchased and keeping long term, HondaCare through Hyannis Honda. Multiple threads if you search. Best prices on factory coverage.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably good.

Now consider if you purchased and keeping long term, HondaCare through Hyannis Honda. Multiple threads if you search. Best prices on factory coverage.
When we were doing our "negotiation" they essentially cancelled our previous Honda warranty and then gave me better coverage for longer period of time and more miles at no charge. I truly hope and pray this one is able to stay on the road. As I usually do I will keep up with all the scheduled maintenance as well, which I know will extend the life of my pilot!

Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
1,291 Posts
When we were doing our "negotiation" they essentially cancelled our previous Honda warranty and then gave me better coverage for longer period of time and more miles at no charge. I truly hope and pray this one is able to stay on the road. As I usually do I will keep up with all the scheduled maintenance as well, which I know will extend the life of my pilot!

Thanks for the advice!
Is it HondaCare or a different company? What was the original? Hopefully you never need it. I'm not a huge extended warranty fan but with all the computers and other issues I got one for the Pilot and previous Sequoia. Factory only though as the aftermarkets friends had were more money and coverage issues at the dealer.

Nice color also!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts