Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to edmunds, in my area (NYC suburtbs), the 2019 ex "true cost" is 28k and ex-l is $36k. I verified the ex-l with a few dealers, but have yet to verify the ex cost. I was wondering if you guys had seen the same thing? And why the difference? I know they are supposed to be about 3k apart, not 6k. What gives, do they have too much left over inventory for ex? Or are ex-l just overpriced in my area?
I'm definitely going to have to get ex if it's that much of a difference. Only difference is leather seats, moonroof, 2nd row sunshades and powered tail gate correct? I don't need any of that, specially for 6k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm picking up an EX-L next week for $34,549 + TTL in Wisconsin. Those are the main differences, but I need leather with kids. Seats are much easier to clean and maintain. One dealer's site says these are the upgrades that come with EX-L over EX:

Adds to or upgrades EX features
  • 8 Passenger
  • Leather-trimmed interior
  • One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
  • Front passenger’s seat with 4-way power adjustment
  • Two-position memory for driver’s seat and side mirrors
  • Integrated 2nd-row sunshades
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel
  • Automatic-dimming rearview mirror
  • Acoustic windshield
  • Power tailgate
  • Two 2nd-row USB ports (high-speed charging only)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm picking up an EX-L next week for $34,549 + TTL in Wisconsin. Those are the main differences, but I need leather with kids. Seats are much easier to clean and maintain. One dealer's site says these are the upgrades that come with EX-L over EX:

Adds to or upgrades EX features
  • 8 Passenger
  • Leather-trimmed interior
  • One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
  • Front passenger’s seat with 4-way power adjustment
  • Two-position memory for driver’s seat and side mirrors
  • Integrated 2nd-row sunshades
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel
  • Automatic-dimming rearview mirror
  • Acoustic windshield
  • Power tailgate
  • Two 2nd-row USB ports (high-speed charging only)
Good point about the kids. I might just have to look into a seat protector. The ex is 8 passenger too AFAIK. $34.5k seems more reasonable, maybe ex-l is just in higher demand/lower quantity here.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
The EX is also 8 passenger and you can go to College Hills Honda website and get Honda’s polyurethane seat cover for whichever seats you want for $190. I have a 1 year and old bought one of those for my CRV and plan to buy one for my 2018 Pilot EX. A lot cheaper than buying an EXL if you don’t care to buy leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
379 Posts
I think leather is worth it. More comfy and easier to clean. Spills won't absorb and make the seats smell forever lol. Looks better too. They don't stain. You could get seat covers but I always felt that looks low rent. But that's me. I'd go EX-L. I traded my 2017 for 2019 recently and like it a lot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good point about the kids. I might just have to look into a seat protector. The ex is 8 passenger too AFAIK. $34.5k seems more reasonable, maybe ex-l is just in higher demand/lower quantity here.
It's a little odd that there's such a price difference given that it's not that much in MSRP. The added features are probably worth a few thousand, which is the usual difference, but going beyond that certainly makes it more questionable.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
It's a little odd that there's such a price difference given that it's not that much in MSRP. The added features are probably worth a few thousand, which is the usual difference, but going beyond that certainly makes it more questionable.
Heated and leather seats are probably the biggest reasons for me. Power moon roof. power controls for front seats. EXLs cost more but they hold on their value more and are also easier to sell used than ex’s.

I used just just get ex Honda’s, but got tired of cloth and no heated seats. The 2016 EXL only had heated seats at that trim level level. Leather just cleans up and holds up better over 8-10 years.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Heated and leather seats are probably the biggest reasons for me. Power moon roof. power controls for front seats. EXLs cost more but they hold on their value more and are also easier to sell used than ex’s.

I used just just get ex Honda’s, but got tired of cloth and no heated seats. The 2016 EXL only had heated seats at that trim level level. Leather just cleans up and holds up better over 8-10 years.

They certainly cost more, but even in terms of MSRP that difference is about 2-3 thousand or so, not something in the order of 5-6.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Where is your source showing that EXLs hold on their value more and are easier to sell than EXs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts