Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the upgrade to go to the touring trim vs the EX-L? price difference would be 35k for EX-L and roughly around 39k for Touring. We had an 2010 EX-L before which we were happy with. Just wanted to know if the upgrades are worth the extra possible 4-5k

Nav is not a big deal for me as there is carplay in EX-L Roof rails would be nice

·
Registered
172 Posts
It really depends on whether or not the Touring has the additional features that you need or at least want, and if those particular ones are worth the extra money to you.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Or if you think they'll make a difference down the road. Trading in once less expensive than twice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought an EX-L and couldn’t be happier, especially after reading all the reports of issues with the transmission and auto shut off in the higher levels. The EX-L is incredibly smooth riding and a joy to drive. Nav is also not a big deal for me because CarPlay is so easy to use. Were there features on the higher levels that are appealing? Of course, but the extra cost and potential issues more than offset those. (My opinion of course)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The touring offers these upgrades:

Adds to or upgrades EX-L features
    • 9-speed automatic transmission with idle-stop
    • Blu-ray™ Rear Entertainment System (RES)
    • Hands-free access power tailgate
    • Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™
    • 590-watt premium audio system with 10 speakers
    • Roof rails
    • 20-inch alloy wheels

We went EX-L AWD for the best bang for the buck. The touring really didn't offer anything we wanted except for the front parking sensors. Plus I dislike the lack of transmission shifter... I like to rest my hand on the shifter so the buttons are not comfortable for me. Basically a deal-breaker if I'm not comfortable.

My wife wanted to get a pilot with the rear entertainment system. I thought it was a waste of money and said if we buy a Pilot will go ahead and add a tablet to our T-Mobile plan. And that's what we did... Added a Galaxy Tab S4 for $350 (was 50% off). Problem solved, and a tablet works anywhere.

Honestly, I have no idea why they even sell navigation systems anymore. Android auto and apple carplay solves the whole navigation problem.

But there is another way to look at it. If some of the features are cool then look at it this way. For every thousand dollars that you borrow, depending on the interest rate, you'll probably add $14 per month to your payment. That 52 bucks a month extra for 5 year loan. If you want to go touring.

Is it worth fifty bucks a month extra for 5 years? Only you can answer :)

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
250 Posts
I’d go with the EX-L for the 6 speed transmission. It’s buttery smooth! Too many people complain about that 9 speed for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
We asked ourselves the same question, but mainly because we liked the idea of bucket seats in the second row. We also liked the Touring wheels a little better, but in the end, we decided these things weren't worth the extra money. I also had concerns about the reliability of the 9-speed and idle shutoff. We've never regretted getting the EX-L.

You just have to ask yourself how much you value the extras. You mentioned roof rails - those can be added fairly easily to the EX-L, so don't let that influence your decision.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We had a 17 ex-l fwd. We were never satisfied with it. We upgraded to the 19 touring awd and has everything we could want.

In 17 exl didnt have memory seats... we found out as we were literally leaving the dealership with our new car.

The 19, we like the 4g connectivity, 20" wheels, rear entertainment, and especially for little kids the window screens built in to the rear doors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
We had a 17 ex-l fwd. We were never satisfied with it. We upgraded to the 19 touring awd and has everything we could want.

In 17 exl didnt have memory seats... we found out as we were literally leaving the dealership with our new car.

The 19, we like the 4g connectivity, 20" wheels, rear entertainment, and especially for little kids the window screens built in to the rear doors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The EX-L now has memory seats, along with the rear passenger window screens.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I mostly bought my '19 Touring AWD for the sound system, quietness of the sound insulated front windows and 9-speed tranny. I test drove 6-speed and I did not like how the first gear switches. It seems like it stays in the first gear for too long and the switches were not very smooth. It could be that I was switching from BMW's 8 speed, which was amazing to say the least. I was impressed with 9-speed tranny's performance and it seemed closer to BMW's in smoothness. I have 6800 miles on the car and I still like it even after learning about a few minor quirks (Honda still have a little way to go to get their 9-speed to perfect). The first quirk was the lack of coasting (BMW has excellent coasting were it disengages engine from the drive train, but even compared to Ford Edge, the Pilot seems to stay in it's higher gear and the coasting seems to be non-existent). The second quirk is the tuning on the engine braking when going downhill. When rolling downhill, the transmission does not seem to pick the right gear, especially when using brakes and coming to a complete stop. the gears 2 and 1 seem to have no engine breaking. The car goes from having engine braking to just using brakes, so you feel the car speeding up in the last two gears. You learn to keep the brake pedal firm to counter this, which is no big deal once you figure out how the car behaves. These quirks are super minor and become unnoticeable after a few thousand miles.

I like quiet cars on the highway. I think Touring meets that requirement with its sound-insulated front windows. Driving in the front is quieter than in the back.

The upgraded stereo sound seems really nice. As good as my Harman Kardon in 2014 Outback. Lots of room to adjust the sound quality. Overall, I am very happy.

I have learned to enjoy other features as well. Navigation seems to work just fine, it's quicker than most i used before. I particularly like the power tailgate. I like using proximity sensors given that this is a larger car. now that I am used to dimensions it is less of an need though (I mostly park outside, not in the tight parking spaces in a parking garage). I have yet to use DVD system, but with a new kid in the family, it is just a matter of time.

One of the negative things is the 20 inch wheels and tire combo. I like the looks, don't get me wrong. I think the suspension could have been made quieter though. Particularly on small bumps and road imperfections. Keeping air pressure down helps (1-2 psi below recommended). I did not notice this issue during the test drive but with time it became noticeable. I will probably end up switching to 18 or even 17 inch wheel/tire combo that will give me a look i ant and the smoother ride the car should have had from the start. Perhaps going one size up in 20 inch tires will help (Still researching this issue)?

Is it worth the upgrade to go to the touring trim vs the EX-L? price difference would be 35k for EX-L and roughly around 39k for Touring. We had an 2010 EX-L before which we were happy with. Just wanted to know if the upgrades are worth the extra possible 4-5k

Nav is not a big deal for me as there is carplay in EX-L Roof rails would be nice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts