Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had this car few months now got it brand new and I’m averaging around 15 mpg. I live in Chicago most of my driving is on the streets no highway. Is this normal. When I do take long trips on the highway I can average about 28mpg. Also with oil changes they told me every 6-7k at dealer I currently have 6600 miles and have changed it twice already. Got it changed at 5% is this normal?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
MPG, doing mainly city driving, will be pretty low. 15 mpg is not out of the realm of reason. City driving is also harsher on the engine, so it isn’t surprising if your Pilot’s oil change interval is shorter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright. I didn’t think was anything wrong had asked Honda and they said it was fine. Damn city driving. Need to move to middle of nowhere. Where I can get good mpg.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My wife drives mostly around town and is easily above 20mpg with the 9-speed. When I filled her car up yesterday she was at 23.2mpg. She rarely goes on the highway.

As for oil changes....there's an oil life monitor...just follow it. This car is not hard on oil.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I could easily see my pilot having MPG like that if i did hit a lot of stop lights and didn't focus on driving economically. I think what you are describing sounds like normal behavior for the pilot. If you're interested in learning to drive more economically, the best way to think about wasting fuel is that every time you hit the brakes you wasted energy. In stop and go traffic, I accelerate slowly, not because its much more efficient than accelerating quickly (a common myth) but because then I have more time to anticipate the next lights or traffic patterns and avoid having to use the brakes as much or at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have had this car few months now got it brand new and I’m averaging around 15 mpg. I live in Chicago most of my driving is on the streets no highway. Is this normal. When I do take long trips on the highway I can average about 28mpg. Also with oil changes they told me every 6-7k at dealer I currently have 6600 miles and have changed it twice already. Got it changed at 5% is this normal?
City driving, our 2017 AWD Pilot averages 18mpg. However, we live on a hill and which is fairly steep and long hill and I have seen the average drop as I drive up it. The only time I turn Eco mode off is when driving up that hill. I never turn off the Auto Stop/Start....never. During the school year, I'll see 15-17mpg. Stop and go traffic, even with the Auto Stop is brutal on mpg.

On the freeway, my wife got 29 mpg on a 130 mile trip with the AAC set to 70, and that's going over a mountain pass. Loaded with a cargo carrier and bikes on the back, we can get about 25 mpg on the freeway with Eco..and that's going over a pass at 3k ft elevation and another pass at 2.6k elevation.

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
The worst MPG you see on any car is typically in the summer, AC Blasting at max to cool down an overheated sunbaked car, on short drives, in stop and go city drive etc. 15 is probably on the money for that type of driving. The highway numbers that people report on the third gen Pilot are fantastic.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My wife drives mostly around town and is easily above 20mpg with the 9-speed. When I filled her car up yesterday she was at 23.2mpg. She rarely goes on the highway.
My wife's Pilot computer will often show 23 on the dash, but it's always lower than that in actuality.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with other posts. I see 18 or lower in the city and 28 on the hwy. I also noticed that my oil turn super dark quickly. I did my first oil change at 3000 miles with the oil life at 80%. I could not stand the color of the oil and the shifts were getting to be very rubbery. Can someone please explain to me the blackness?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with other posts. I see 18 or lower in the city and 28 on the hwy. I also noticed that my oil turn super dark quickly. I did my first oil change at 3000 miles with the oil life at 80%. I could not stand the color of the oil and the shifts were getting to be very rubbery. Can someone please explain to me the blackness?
Color of the oil tells you absolutely nothing. They are all made with different base oils, viscosity index improvers, have different add packs, etc, etc, etc. Many oils start off different colors with varying degrees of clarity and oils will turn black at different times. It does not mean the oil is bad and it does not need to be changed based on color. Follow the MM.

Not following you on the link between changing engine oil and transmission shifts??? Two completely different systems using two completely different oils.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Color of the oil tells you absolutely nothing. They are all made with different base oils, viscosity index improvers, have different add packs, etc, etc, etc. Many oils start off different colors with varying degrees of clarity and oils will turn black at different times. It does not mean the oil is bad and it does not need to be changed based on color. Follow the MM.

Not following you on the link between changing engine oil and transmission shifts??? Two completely different systems using two completely different oils.
Completely agree.

If you happen to see shimmer/glitter in the oil, there is a problem: metal shavings.

The biggest help is the "oil filter" for us now, because our oil 0w-20 is synthetic; at least it should be, ask your dealership.

I use Royal Purple 0w-20 along with K&N oil filters and my stable of vehicles run great.

My '89 4Runner is going strong at 375k miles, as well as my '09 Civic at 195k still drives like a racecar hanging with STi's on the freeways/interstates leading/drafting at 115mph on I-5 from Bay to LA.

Take care of your vehicles as you take care of your health.

2019 Touring AWD MSM
2016 Touring AWD MSM (traded-in)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am going strictly by the seat of my pants here:). I know that is it time to change oil because the quality f shifts changes as i get closer to the oil change. When the oil is ready to be changed, the shifts tend to hang in there a bit longer and are not as crisp when the oil is new. I observed this in all of my vehicles, even in 2013 Outback with CVT. It's just a subtle way the shifts change that tells me that it is almost time to change the oil.

I did my first oil change at 3000 but will most likely will stick with the recommended interval unless I can't stand the way the car shifts. The dealership offers free lifetime oil changes but obviously they will not change before the indicator goes off. Depending on how many miles that is, I might do one in between on my own.

Thanks for explaining the oil color. My previous vehicles did not have it that black:) i will be curious to see how the next oil will change color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts