Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since month #1 (September), I've had an intermittent rubbing noise coming from the left front of the car. Sometimes it's a quiet hushing that is definitely related to rotation of the wheels.

You can never hear it at rest, hardly at high speed, but from 10-40mph, it varies from shushing to whining.
Seems like it's been worse in the cold than not, but really hard to get a good recording of, to be honest.
Had it looked at twice at the dealer - who didn't hear it either time.

Finally got a younger service advisor (not picking on anyone - but my husband doesn't hear it, my kids do - age matters for hearing) who did hear it! He had it in today and diagnosed a bad transmission bearing.

So - I'm relieved - because they know what it is. But now I'm kinda freaking out - how bad is this? I'm picking it up, he said they are working with Honda tech to get whatever is needed to fix it.

Should I be worried? Or glad we know what's wrong and it will be better?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good news is that it should be 100% covered by warranty, and I'd guess the dealer will also provide a courtesy vehicle.

With the car being that new, I wonder if they will just swap out the transmission as opposed to disassembling it, figuring out which bearing is bad, and then replacing it. But who knows. I think you will be fine either way. Just make sure that once you get it back, you take it back in if you find any little thing wrong.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
As Glen said, 100% covered by warranty so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. By the sounds of things these dealers are pretty good at replacing transmissions in the Pilot and Ridgeline. All you can do is hope it was a one off occurrence and move on with life.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good news is that it should be 100% covered by warranty, and I'd guess the dealer will also provide a courtesy vehicle.

With the car being that new, I wonder if they will just swap out the transmission as opposed to disassembling it, figuring out which bearing is bad, and then replacing it. But who knows. I think you will be fine either way. Just make sure that once you get it back, you take it back in if you find any little thing wrong.

Good luck.
Honda does not provide a courtesy vehicle for warranty repairs. It would be a perk that an individual dealership provides, or it would be included with the Honda Care warranty which does provide for a courtesy vehicle for any warranty work regardless if it is factory warranty or extended warranty work.

Replacing a transmission because of a bad bearing? Highly doubt that would even be an option.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I would ask how they came to that conclusion.
I'm suspicious of a bad rear or front engine mount or both. This can cause constant noise when in motion.
I DIY replaced both front and rear engine mounts on my 2017 (no waranty). My rear engine mount was collapsed. It was 1/2 shorter than the new mount. I believe this caused a misalignment of the drive shaft causing vibration noise (could be described as rubbing) more prevalent when accelerating or deceleration (my personal opinion, I'm not an expert). Regardless, All my noises are now gone after. The acoustical sound quality inside the car are now at a level that I never thought was possible in this vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts