Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel like I'm missing something here. We have the factory roof rails(not cross bars) on our 19 Pilot Elite. On our old Odyssey there was a gap between the rail and the roof so I could tie straps onto it. The Pilot rails do not have this gap. So are they completely useless without buying the cross bars? Even with the cross bars there is no gap though.

Ultimately I was trying to get a soft shell cargo bag for an upcoming trip. I won't want to attach the straps to the door or through the car because it will mess with the door seal and probably damage it...at a minimum allowing water to trickle in while on a trip.

Anyone solve this problem yet or everyone buys the cross bars and puts a hard shell carrier on top?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
They did it right on the Passport. The Pilots rails suck. Only way the rails are useful is with the crossbars. Still not half as useful as the Passports.

Hmmm.. wondering if the passports rails will interchange on the pilot? The front grills are interchangeable... maybe the rails are too?

Nm.. looked at install pdf... not the same ... boo!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
This probably doesn't help you with your question, but FYI I went with the clamp-on Thule system for the following reasons:

1. Cost. Since I didn't have the roof rails on my 2108 EX, I would have had to buy the rails and THEN buy the cross bars. Honda offers cross bars that will attach to the roof without the rails for the 2019 Pilot, but I didn't try them on my 18 for two reasons -- first, nobody knew if they'd fit the 2018, and second see # 2 below.

2. Width of bars. I transport various boats on my roof rack, including canoes and occasionally a Cosine Wherry pulling boat. The latter two boats are wider than the OEM crossbars, so I'd have to fab up some sort of extension bars. I'm also not fond of the side-to-side curvature of the OEM crossbars. Honda apparently assumes we are all hip urbanites that only carry plastic kayaks, roof boxes or baskets -- nothing any wider or longer. Wrong!

3. Spread of bars fore and aft. I have a roof box but rarely use it, and for boats I prefer having cross bars spread as far apart front-to-back as possible for better support and loading/unloading.

NOTE - I've used both Yakima and Thule clamp systems on 4 different cars and never had any leaks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah the OE rails are weird but there are lots of other manufacturers using the same design unfortunately. If I were in your situation I'd skip the OE cross bars and the Thule feet with the bar width and design of your liking. With a soft cargo bag you will still need a basket as it will sag between the cross bars and contact the roof. Total cost can get close to or exceed that of a hard shell cargo box, but the soft design is way easier to store when not in use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
This probably doesn't help you with your question, but FYI I went with the clamp-on Thule system for the following reasons:

1. Cost. Since I didn't have the roof rails on my 2108 EX, I would have had to buy the rails and THEN buy the cross bars. Honda offers cross bars that will attach to the roof without the rails for the 2019 Pilot, but I didn't try them on my 18 for two reasons -- first, nobody knew if they'd fit the 2018, and second see # 2 below.

2. Width of bars. I transport various boats on my roof rack, including canoes and occasionally a Cosine Wherry pulling boat. The latter two boats are wider than the OEM crossbars, so I'd have to fab up some sort of extension bars. I'm also not fond of the side-to-side curvature of the OEM crossbars. Honda apparently assumes we are all hip urbanites that only carry plastic kayaks, roof boxes or baskets -- nothing any wider or longer. Wrong!

3. Spread of bars fore and aft. I have a roof box but rarely use it, and for boats I prefer having cross bars spread as far apart front-to-back as possible for better support and loading/unloading.

NOTE - I've used both Yakima and Thule clamp systems on 4 different cars and never had any leaks.

What model is that? Is it the universal clamping one?

Curious how much do these aftermarket racks affect your MPG in everyday driving without a boat? The wind deflector seems to be pretty big on that thing.

Lastly, do you have any pictures of that from further away with the whole car? I bought a white Pilot, but don't particularly like the color. It looks TOO much like a soccer mom car, even more so in the white color. I think adding that Thule crossbar would make it look a little bit sportier and would have some functional use as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What model is that? Is it the universal clamping one?

Curious how much do these aftermarket racks affect your MPG in everyday driving without a boat? The wind deflector seems to be pretty big on that thing.

Lastly, do you have any pictures of that from further away with the whole car? I bought a white Pilot, but don't particularly like the color. It looks TOO much like a soccer mom car, even more so in the white color. I think adding that Thule crossbar would make it look a little bit sportier and would have some functional use as well.
Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack 480r with fit kit #1811. 60" AeroBlade black bars, 54" AirScreen Fairing. You'll want to confirm that the foot pack will fit with the roof rails -- might be best to buy the feet from REI or some other brick and mortar place that will let you try them in the parking lot and return them if they don't fit.

It will sportify the looks, particularly if you add some travel stickers to the fairing.

·
Banned
70 Posts
So I feel like I'm missing something here. We have the factory roof rails(not cross bars) on our 19 Pilot Elite. On our old Odyssey there was a gap between the rail and the roof so I could tie straps onto it. The Pilot rails do not have this gap. So are they completely useless without buying the cross bars? Even with the cross bars there is no gap though.

Ultimately I was trying to get a soft shell cargo bag for an upcoming trip. I won't want to attach the straps to the door or through the car because it will mess with the door seal and probably damage it...at a minimum allowing water to trickle in while on a trip.

Anyone solve this problem yet or everyone buys the cross bars and puts a hard shell carrier on top?

Thanks for the help!

I find loading stuff on the roof to be a PITA and it cuts into my MPG. If you have a trailer hitch something like is a much better option IMO. I picked mine up for $40 on sale - SO much cheaper then all the roof rack options/carriers out there and it works better!

Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Seems everyone has moved on. From roof rails that made tying down so easy.
The issue seems to be few people used them for what they could do. They became ornamental and design changed. Everyone seemingly moved over to the same "rail" system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Our Golf Sportwagen has the traditional type rails. I get they add some tie down points but for me it just isn't necessary. I lived with my Rabbit for 10 years with only cross bars...primarily used for bike carriers but we did tons of random hauling with it. Never once did I feel I extra attachment points were needed. Individual results may vary, but the new designs are just fine since you need cross bars to do any proper hauling of items on the roof. Bonus on the new design is it makes cleaning/detailing the roof much easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts