Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a safety recall in the mail. Seems like it’s meant to solve the “instrument panel won’t turn off“ issue, or the “instrument panel blacked out while driving” issue. Seems like the issue most commonly occurs when people are using CarPlay. I’ve had the “wont turn off” issue happen several times and I’ve used the usb keyboard Ctrl+Alt+Dlt trick to reset it successfully every time. I use CarPlay very sparingly now.

NHSTA says: American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling 2018-2020 model year Odyssey, 2019-2020 model year Passport, and 2019-2021 model year Pilot vehicles. Many in-cabin system interfaces are linked to a central network, including the instrument panel, display audio, and rearview camera display. Due to inappropriate software programming, increased data traffic on the central network may exceed the computing threshold of the instrument panel control module. Once exceeded, the instrument panel cannot display certain information required by FMVSS 101; Controls and Displays, such as the engine oil pressure, speedometer, and gear selector position until the next ignition cycle. An overloaded instrument panel control module also prevents the rearview camera image from displaying, which does not comply with the requirements of FMVSS No. 111; Rear Visibility.

The recall says the dealer will “reprogram the instrument panel control module”. Looking for anyone who has had their pilot reprogrammed. Notice any difference in functionality? Did they have to take the instrument panel out to do the work? Is it possible that an OTA fix is coming that will accomplish the same reprogramming?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I got the recall taken of a little more than a month ago, and I haven't noticed any new features. They had to take out the gauge cluster for the update, but they put it back and it looks the same. There's just some small scratches but they aren't a big deal to me as they are pretty hard to see. There is an OTA update for the main infotainment screen, and along with bug fixes they add some features for navigation. I think if they could've done an OTA update for the gauge cluster, then they would've done it so I doubt they'll release one in the future. I think you should schedule an appointment with your dealer as soon as possible to get this taken care of. I would've had that recall taken care of as soon as possible if I had that issue. Surprised that you left the car like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2019 Pilot EX-L. I had it done a few days ago at Honda dealer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They told me I would have to leave the car for at least a day because it would take "all day" (maybe two days) to do the work because they have to "tear the dashboard apart" (service advisor), so I could not wait while it was done (despite living 20 miles away). When I got the car back, the work sheet said it took 45 minutes to do the work. I have never had any issue with the display (including using car play), and did not notice any differences after the fix. Noted that nobody at the dealership wearing a mask.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My 2019 Pilot EX-L. I had it done a few days ago at Honda dealer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They told me I would have to leave the car for at least a day because it would take "all day" (maybe two days) to do the work because they have to "tear the dashboard apart" (service advisor), so I could not wait while it was done (despite living 20 miles away). When I got the car back, the work sheet said it took 45 minutes to do the work. I have never had any issue with the display (including using car play), and did not notice any differences after the fix. Noted that nobody at the dealership wearing a mask.
A whole day? Your dealer seems really sketchy then. Mine was taken care of in a couple hours, and all they do when they "tear the dashboard apart" is just take out the gauge cluster. Not much of the "dashboard" is coming out. The fact that nobody was wearing masks would make me never want to show up to that dealer ever again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A whole day? Your dealer seems really sketchy then. Mine was taken care of in a couple hours, and all they do when they "tear the dashboard apart" is just take out the gauge cluster. Not much of the "dashboard" is coming out. The fact that nobody was wearing masks would make me never want to show up to that dealer ever again.
Indeed. I contacted Kuehl Honda in Cedar Rapids to complain about the lack of masks and got brushed off with the excuse that masks were available for those who wanted them. I emailed another Honda dealer near me (Billion Honda in Iowa City) to ask about their mask policy and got no reply. Strange that they have no concern about the safety of their customers or their employees.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Took our 2019 Pilot to the dealer for the “reprogram the instrument panel control module" recall (we have had no panel issues to date) today.
Took the dealer 45 minutes from start to finish.
I asked the service advisor if they in fact have to take the display out of the dash, to get to the computer? He said follow me!
He walked me to the back and showed me a large blue metal suitcase looking container on a desk. Inside were lots of electronics and a 10" x 8" opening.
The service advisor said the computer module is removed from the dash once the display is removed. The module is then connected into opening of the machine and is reprogrammed. He said it's not the eaisest fix, but it's what Honda came up with and has fixed the issues.... so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts