Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EX AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How critical are these 2 new recalls? Have you received notification already? I am starting loosing faith in HONDA.

2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:20V-439
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:T89
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance
RECALL DATE:07/28/2020
RECALL STATUS:Recall INCOMPLETE
SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling 2018-2020 model year Odyssey, 2019-2020 model year Passport, and 2019-2021 model year Pilot vehicles. Many in-cabin system interfaces are linked to a central network, including the instrument panel, display audio, and rearview camera display. Due to inappropriate software programming, increased data traffic on the central network may exceed the computing threshold of the instrument panel control module. Once exceeded, the instrument panel cannot display certain information required by FMVSS 101; Controls and Displays, such as the engine oil pressure, speedometer, and gear selector position until the next ignition cycle. An overloaded instrument panel control module also prevents the rearview camera image from displaying, which does not comply with the requirements of FMVSS No. 111; Rear Visibility.
SAFETY RISK:
Vehicle operation without a functional instrument panel or rearview camera display increases the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Please call any authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. Your dealer will reprogram the instrument panel control module for free. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.
2019-20 Multimodel Front Control Box OTA Update Noncompliance
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:20V-440
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:Y7Y
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:2019-20 Multimodel Front Control Box OTA Update Noncompliance
SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling 2019-2020 model year Odyssey, 2019-2020 model year Passport, and 2019-2021 model year Pilot vehicles. Many in-cabin system interfaces are linked to a central network, including the instrument panel, display audio, and rearview camera display. Due to inappropriate software programming, several errors in the central network may occur that either delay or prevent the rearview camera image from displaying.
SAFETY RISK:
A delayed or inoperative rearview camera display does not comply with requirements of FMVSS No. 111, and can reduce the driver's view of what is behind the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Registered owners of all affected vehicles will be mailed instructions on how to download and install the software programming updates for free. Registered owners may also visit an authorized Honda dealer, and the dealer will update the software programming for free. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You could go without having those recalls taken care of IF your Pilot doesn’t have any issues with the infotainment. I Got both recalls taken care of at my dealer in about 2 hours or so. My dealer was pretty busy that day tho. I sorta agree with you statement that you’re losing faith in Honda. This statement probably can apply to every car brand tho (except Hyundai and Kia apparently). I personally think that the Pilot can easily go to 100k miles with zero issues if you take care of it. Maybe even 200k if you’re really careful.

·
Registered
2019 EX AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought brand new 2019 ex-awd from the dealership approximately 130 miles from my home (they had color, model I wanted and they gave me good quote over the phone).The very next day I noticed minor paint wrinkle on the rear bumper and I had to go to dealership I bought car from to fix it. I put over 1200 miles on 2 cars to have it fixed (there were some other issues they did not fix the first time). 1200 miles on my cars and 15 hours of wasted driving time (mine and my wife)! That is not how you treat your customers. Now I have to deal with 2 recalls, hopefully they will fix it locally. . I just sold my 2 Nissans, Sentra with 265,000 miles and Quest with 295,000. Quest needed new engine mounts and ac hose. Sentra 0 issues. My son still drives my 2003 Ford Taurus I gave him with 165,000 miles. Needed new ac compressor and door actuator, nothing else. I drive 2011 Nissan Rogue with 89,000 miles and I have had 0 issues so far. For a car to last 100k or 200k is nothing assuring.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Recalls are a part of life with EVERY automotive manufacturer.

2003 Ford Taurus:

Ford has recalled certain 2002-2003 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles because their windshields do not comply with safety standards. Due to improper mounting, the windshield may exhibit increased wind noise, water leakage, squeaks, and rattles and could experience a loss of retention, which would reduce occupant protection in the event of a crash. Dealers will replace the windshield.

Ford has recalled certain 2000-2004 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles for possible malfunctioning of the brake light switch, which may cause brake lights to stick on, or not come on at all. Also, the driver may not be able to shift out of "Park" and the battery could discharge. Dealers will replace the brake light switch and the wiring connector mounted to it.

Ford has recalled certain 2003 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles because the air filter material could smolder and burn, which could lead to an underhood fire. Dealers will replace the air filter.

Nissan Sentra: Pick a year, any year.

2011 Nissan Rogue:

Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain model year 2008-2013 Nissan Rogue vehicles manufactured March 7, 2007, to November 26, 2013, and 2014 Nissan Rogue Select vehicles manufactured September 23, 2013, to July 2, 2014. The affected vehicles may experience an electrical short in the harness connector due to a mixture of snow/water and salt seeping through the carpet on the driver side floor near the harness connector.

Nissan Is Recalling Certain Model Year 2011 Rogue Vehicles Manufactured From August 17, 2010, Through October 30, 2010. The Circuit Board May Not Have Been Installed In The Correct Position On Certain Electric Power Steering (Eps) Assist Control Units. This May Cause Additional Stress On The Solder Of The Terminal To The Circuit Board Resulting In The Solder Cracking And Separating Completely From The Circuit Board.

Consequence
As The Circuit Board Fails, The Power Steering Assist Feature Will Stop Functioning, Increasing The Force Needed To Steer The Vehicle And Increasing The Risk Of A Crash.

Recalls do put a crimp in everyday life but as Jose Whales said, "Dying ain't much of a livin'."

·
Registered
2019 EX AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recalls are a part of life with EVERY automotive manufacturer.

2003 Ford Taurus:

Ford has recalled certain 2002-2003 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles because their windshields do not comply with safety standards. Due to improper mounting, the windshield may exhibit increased wind noise, water leakage, squeaks, and rattles and could experience a loss of retention, which would reduce occupant protection in the event of a crash. Dealers will replace the windshield.

Ford has recalled certain 2000-2004 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles for possible malfunctioning of the brake light switch, which may cause brake lights to stick on, or not come on at all. Also, the driver may not be able to shift out of "Park" and the battery could discharge. Dealers will replace the brake light switch and the wiring connector mounted to it.

Ford has recalled certain 2003 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles because the air filter material could smolder and burn, which could lead to an underhood fire. Dealers will replace the air filter.

Nissan Sentra: Pick a year, any year.

2011 Nissan Rogue:

Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain model year 2008-2013 Nissan Rogue vehicles manufactured March 7, 2007, to November 26, 2013, and 2014 Nissan Rogue Select vehicles manufactured September 23, 2013, to July 2, 2014. The affected vehicles may experience an electrical short in the harness connector due to a mixture of snow/water and salt seeping through the carpet on the driver side floor near the harness connector.

Nissan Is Recalling Certain Model Year 2011 Rogue Vehicles Manufactured From August 17, 2010, Through October 30, 2010. The Circuit Board May Not Have Been Installed In The Correct Position On Certain Electric Power Steering (Eps) Assist Control Units. This May Cause Additional Stress On The Solder Of The Terminal To The Circuit Board Resulting In The Solder Cracking And Separating Completely From The Circuit Board.

Consequence
As The Circuit Board Fails, The Power Steering Assist Feature Will Stop Functioning, Increasing The Force Needed To Steer The Vehicle And Increasing The Risk Of A Crash.

Recalls do put a crimp in everyday life but as Jose Whales said, "Dying ain't much of a livin'."
2003 Ford Taurus: 1 recall affected my Vin No. :brake switch in 17 years
1989 Nissan Sentra: 1 recall affected my Vin No.: belt buckle in 20 years
2000 Nissan Quest: 1 recall affected my Vin No.: belt buckle in 20 years
2019 Honda Pilot: All 4 recalls affected my Vin No: timing belt, B-Pillar, gauge control module and front control box OTA reprogramming ...........in 1 year of owning the vehicle. Wonder how many more are coming.

·
Registered
303 Posts
2003 Ford Taurus: 1 recall affected my Vin No. :brake switch in 17 years
1989 Nissan Sentra: 1 recall affected my Vin No.: belt buckle in 20 years
2000 Nissan Quest: 1 recall affected my Vin No.: belt buckle in 20 years
2019 Honda Pilot: All 4 recalls affected my Vin No: timing belt, B-Pillar, gauge control module and front control box OTA reprogramming ...........in 1 year of owning the vehicle. Wonder how many more are coming.
Apples and oranges. The newest car you mention there before the Pilot is 17 years old. Cars didn't have nearly the sophistication 17 years ago as they do now, and software was very simple (if applicable at all). Recalls were physical repairs or part replacements, as you indicate above. Now, every time there's a required software update it must be done through recall if it can be tied to safety, which is obviously going to increase the number of recalls.

To the point: If Microsoft was forced to issue a recall every time a critical Windows update is issued, they would be in the hundreds at this point. Software is complex, and is improved over time to address issues. I would rather they update the system and improve it over time, even if that means having to have it updated when I bring the vehicle in for service. It's been my experience that most updates can be handled with a decent wifi connection from my garage, anyway.

·
Registered
2019 EX AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just came back from dealership after "software update" (last 2 recalls). None of the safety features worked on my drive back home (e.g., front collision mitigation warning, blind spot warning etc.). When I tried to set up thru the buttons on steering wheel when I got home everythiing was "Locked" (e.g., settings, maintenance, apps etc.). The only available reset was for trip odometer. There was nothing wrong before I took car to dealership. This is totally ridiculous.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just came back from dealership after "software update" (last 2 recalls). None of the safety features worked on my drive back home (e.g., front collision mitigation warning, blind spot warning etc.). When I tried to set up thru the buttons on steering wheel when I got home everythiing was "Locked" (e.g., settings, maintenance, apps etc.). The only available reset was for trip odometer. There was nothing wrong before I took car to dealership. This is totally ridiculous.
It sounds like you need a new dealership. My Pilot was fine after the recall, which was performed the day I bought it (before I took delivery).

They'll likely need to do it again. Tell them to drive the vehicle and make sure everything works when they're done this time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has any body had this 2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance done at Paragon Honda in NY. I have an appointment but I'm not sure if I want it done. I only remember losing the display once and restarting resets the system so I'm thinking of leaving it alone because I sort of don't want a tech doing what looks to be a pretty sensitive procedure. TIA

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought brand new 2019 ex-awd from the dealership approximately 130 miles from my home (they had color, model I wanted and they gave me good quote over the phone).The very next day I noticed minor paint wrinkle on the rear bumper and I had to go to dealership I bought car from to fix it. I put over 1200 miles on 2 cars to have it fixed (there were some other issues they did not fix the first time). 1200 miles on my cars and 15 hours of wasted driving time (mine and my wife)! That is not how you treat your customers. Now I have to deal with 2 recalls, hopefully they will fix it locally. . I just sold my 2 Nissans, Sentra with 265,000 miles and Quest with 295,000. Quest needed new engine mounts and ac hose. Sentra 0 issues. My son still drives my 2003 Ford Taurus I gave him with 165,000 miles. Needed new ac compressor and door actuator, nothing else. I drive 2011 Nissan Rogue with 89,000 miles and I have had 0 issues so far. For a car to last 100k or 200k is nothing assuring.
Sorry you are having trouble, but perhaps you might have been better paying a little more and buying local. I bought both my pilots at the dealership just a few miles away, could have gotten a better deal elsewhere haggling a few more hours, but convenience is worth something to me. i do get free car washes and oil changes for life. Our 2016 and 2019 pilots have been trouble free except for the 16 throwing the 4030 code. We got the injectors replaced free under warranty.

the internet is overwhelmingly loaded with negative issues and the vast majority of pilot (and Honda) owners are very happy.

you local dealer will address any issues you have, why not just go there for recalls Instead of driving 130 miles.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Has any body had this 2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance done at Paragon Honda in NY. I have an appointment but I'm not sure if I want it done. I only remember losing the display once and restarting resets the system so I'm thinking of leaving it alone because I sort of don't want a tech doing what looks to be a pretty sensitive procedure. TIA
Yeah, pretty much everyone should've had it done by now. If you aren't going to let Honda make recall repairs to your vehicle, it's going to be a frustrating road ahead.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How critical are these 2 new recalls? Have you received notification already? I am starting loosing faith in HONDA.

2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:20V-439
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:T89
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance
SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling 2018-2020 model year Odyssey, 2019-2020 model year Passport, and 2019-2021 model year Pilot vehicles. Many in-cabin system interfaces are linked to a central network, including the instrument panel, display audio, and rearview camera display. Due to inappropriate software programming, increased data traffic on the central network may exceed the computing threshold of the instrument panel control module. Once exceeded, the instrument panel cannot display certain information required by FMVSS 101; Controls and Displays, such as the engine oil pressure, speedometer, and gear selector position until the next ignition cycle. An overloaded instrument panel control module also prevents the rearview camera image from displaying, which does not comply with the requirements of FMVSS No. 111; Rear Visibility.
SAFETY RISK:
Vehicle operation without a functional instrument panel or rearview camera display increases the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Please call any authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. Your dealer will reprogram the instrument panel control module for free. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.
2019-20 Multimodel Front Control Box OTA Update Noncompliance
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:20V-440
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:Y7Y
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:2019-20 Multimodel Front Control Box OTA Update Noncompliance
SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling 2019-2020 model year Odyssey, 2019-2020 model year Passport, and 2019-2021 model year Pilot vehicles. Many in-cabin system interfaces are linked to a central network, including the instrument panel, display audio, and rearview camera display. Due to inappropriate software programming, several errors in the central network may occur that either delay or prevent the rearview camera image from displaying.
SAFETY RISK:
A delayed or inoperative rearview camera display does not comply with requirements of FMVSS No. 111, and can reduce the driver's view of what is behind the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Registered owners of all affected vehicles will be mailed instructions on how to download and install the software programming updates for free. Registered owners may also visit an authorized Honda dealer, and the dealer will update the software programming for free. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.
Thanks foe the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts