Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Screen resetting and the crackle and pops and weird static on calls. Also random loss of back speakers but I think that's something they messed up on with last fix. I've had updates, most cords replaced, bus cord replaced, most extenders replaced, and two other times that they just relieved tension supposedly. Every fix works for a little and then problem comes back, just a bit different. Dealer is going to buy back. I'm going to be out some $ I don't have and be worse off then where I started.
That’s very frustrating. What is the model year, trim level, purchase date and miles on the vehicle? Is this a new car purchase? Have you researched the Lemon Laws in your state? Have you tried another dealer?
Don’t know how much $ this going to cost you but my state allows the manufacturer to charge a max of 15% for use of the vehicle when a buy back occurs. Most Pilots don’t have this issue and most that do have been successfully fixed with the TSB. This problem can be resolved if properly diagnosed and repaired. Know your rights under the consumer protection laws of your state before you agree to a buy back that is going to cost you money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s very frustrating. What is the model year, trim level, purchase date and miles on the vehicle? Is this a new car purchase? Have you researched the Lemon Laws in your state? Have you tried another dealer?
Don’t know how much $ this going to cost you but my state allows the manufacturer to charge a max of 15% for use of the vehicle when a buy back occurs. Most Pilots don’t have this issue and most that do have been successfully fixed with the TSB. This problem can be resolved if properly diagnosed and repaired. Know your rights under the consumer protection laws of your state before you agree to a buy back that is going to cost you money.
I have a 2020 Honda Pilot Touring that is having all of the exact problems everyone else seems to be having. My infotainment system crackles, then resets, then completely blacks out. It just went out again last night. Ive already had the vehicle into the local dealer 4 times and they keep "replacing" connectors and testing, but it eventually go black again. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
47 Posts
just throwing this out there but has anyone actually had the problem fixed? I have had mine to the dealer three times now, nothing has been fixed. I have read a decent amount of posts about this problem but I dont think i have come across any that say they actually had the problem fixed. I am giving this dealership one more try to repair my 2020 pilot then I was going to try a different dealer and if that didnt work then i will probably start the lemon law proceedings.
I liked my 2020 Touring but have now (last week) just traded it in. The KIA dealerships all offered me a price for trade in that was just $3500 less than I paid for the Pilot last year, and after putting 18,500 miles on it since I purchased it, I considered it an acceptable trade off, in either depreciation or otherwise. So this will be my last post, and I hope it helps.

Since I purchased the pilot in May 2020, I had once fill month without any of the crackling, popping, or other issues experienced by some Piloteers. In July, that all changed and I had taken the vehicle in 8 times since July 2020 till April 2021. Two out of the 8 times, I never even made it out past 5 miles from the dealership before the screen either went dark, or a popping sound returned.

In the first visit, they RE-secured the wiring harness and performed the software updates. second through 4th visits they replaced the instrument cluster wiring, and RE-secured the wiring harnesses. Then on the 5th time, the replaced the amplifier under Honda America’s tech support recommendation. Honda America was directly involved from that point on. When that failed to resolve the issue (screen still was going dark) and MOST network was still being lost, HA authorized the dealership to replace the turner on the 7th visit. Not sure what they did in the 6th visit but they had the vehicle torn apart from front to back. I took the car back again on the 8th visit and got it back after they did some more work and drove it 75 miles with no problems. 3 days later, I experienced one screen blank, popping of the speakers, and disconnecting of Apple Car Play after a few minutes of connectivity. New symptoms to add to Most Network connectivity loss and speaker pops.

I was done as there appeared to be end in sight. Especially when I called Honda America for direct support and they opened up a case number for me to discuss buy backs and upgrade to a 2021 which appears to have the problem fixed. After waiting 2 weeks with no additional response from Honda, I called KIA and they were more than happy to talk to me. I now no longer have a Pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
All that equates to a noteworthy Distracting Driving scenario IMO.

We're not allow to mess with electronics etc which constitute distracted drive laws in Ontario Cell, GPS and stereo needlessly. It would be hard to ignore and not attempt to resolve a connection and/or playing issue while driving. This appears to be the sort of thing I'd seen pointed out in vehicle reviews as an ongoing issue. It doesn't appear that 2019 got it figured out either although a different unit/system built in with problems I see posted here.

I have been scanning different years and have not found the best year build. At least not year. I am not making a vehicle decision until next year now. Maybe a permanent fix will appear in time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2020 Pilot Elite with about 10k miles on it. No problems until 2 weeks ago, when the radio started showing a "check tuner" message intermittently. It seems to sometimes be related to driving over bumps, but not always. It has also evolved to the whole infotainment screen going dark. No backup camera sucks!!! Also started seeing the MOST network message this weekend. No real pops to speak of, yet. We just moved from Delaware to Florida, so it went to the local dealer today, they say they need to order parts, which should be in on Wednesday. Hoping for the best, but not holding my breath!

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a 2020 Pilot Elite with about 10k miles on it. No problems until 2 weeks ago, when the radio started showing a "check tuner" message intermittently. It seems to sometimes be related to driving over bumps, but not always. It has also evolved to the whole infotainment screen going dark. No backup camera sucks!!! Also started seeing the MOST network message this weekend. No real pops to speak of, yet. We just moved from Delaware to Florida, so it went to the local dealer today, they say they need to order parts, which should be in on Wednesday. Hoping for the best, but not holding my breath!
Good luck, I'd like to know what they do to resolve that. A radio is a simple electronic device and with decades of hundreds of versions. I have not heard of this sort of thing in any platform ever. Its detrimental to Honda for this to be occurring so long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good luck! I'm turning mine in to dealer today. 5 fixes with no long-term success

·
Registered
13 Posts
I liked my 2020 Touring but have now (last week) just traded it in. The KIA dealerships all offered me a price for trade in that was just $3500 less than I paid for the Pilot last year, and after putting 18,500 miles on it since I purchased it, I considered it an acceptable trade off, in either depreciation or otherwise. So this will be my last post, and I hope it helps.

Since I purchased the pilot in May 2020, I had once fill month without any of the crackling, popping, or other issues experienced by some Piloteers. In July, that all changed and I had taken the vehicle in 8 times since July 2020 till April 2021. Two out of the 8 times, I never even made it out past 5 miles from the dealership before the screen either went dark, or a popping sound returned.

In the first visit, they RE-secured the wiring harness and performed the software updates. second through 4th visits they replaced the instrument cluster wiring, and RE-secured the wiring harnesses. Then on the 5th time, the replaced the amplifier under Honda America’s tech support recommendation. Honda America was directly involved from that point on. When that failed to resolve the issue (screen still was going dark) and MOST network was still being lost, HA authorized the dealership to replace the turner on the 7th visit. Not sure what they did in the 6th visit but they had the vehicle torn apart from front to back. I took the car back again on the 8th visit and got it back after they did some more work and drove it 75 miles with no problems. 3 days later, I experienced one screen blank, popping of the speakers, and disconnecting of Apple Car Play after a few minutes of connectivity. New symptoms to add to Most Network connectivity loss and speaker pops.

I was done as there appeared to be end in sight. Especially when I called Honda America for direct support and they opened up a case number for me to discuss buy backs and upgrade to a 2021 which appears to have the problem fixed. After waiting 2 weeks with no additional response from Honda, I called KIA and they were more than happy to talk to me. I now no longer have a Pilot.

I'm also looking at a Kia at this point. Honda said 4 more weeks for them to START communicating. What did you get and why did you not go with Hyundai? Prices are skyrocketing here and I was so gung ho to get a Pilot. I'm lost

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I dug deep and am now getting to turn it in at no cost. Sad part is that's the only vehicle I wanted and prices have gone up so much. I have seen now that 2020 models have same issue so I'm worried 2021s due to but it just hasn't cropped up yet. I've always been loyal to Honda but need a working vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm also looking at a Kia at this point. Honda said 4 more weeks for them to START communicating. What did you get and why did you not go with Hyundai? Prices are skyrocketing here and I was so gung ho to get a Pilot. I'm lost
I went with the Telluride because the Palisade has nicer trims and interior options but at a higher price. I also liked the looks of the Telluride better. I’d have had to pay more than 2 grand more for similar features. I got the EX with premium package but wish I could have afforded the SX. All the same engine though so it’s hard to go wrong there. Towing is 1500 lbs more capacity than the Pilot.

Wish they could have fixed the Pilot though, as I really liked it. However, I was not willing to wait another Summer without a reliable vehicle, with no guarantees of a fix or even communication from Honda America after a month now.

Hope everyone has better luck than I did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's what I was looking at for pretty much the same reasons. Totally agree with you. I can't understand Honda at this point. So frustrating. I'm worried for people who are just starting to see issues and are getting the run around. No one is being up front with them. Bad on Honda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's what I was looking at for pretty much the same reasons. Totally agree with you. I can't understand Honda at this point. So frustrating. I'm worried for people who are just starting to see issues and are getting the run around. No one is being up front with them. Bad on Honda.
6/18/2021
I have had my 9K 2020 Elite Pilot in 3 times already to Re-Do or attempt to repair wiring
harnesses, pin connectors and adapters. It appears the real root cause is likely a faulty
wiring harness that has too many ohms of resistance that causes domino effect of system
failures. Driving down the road ALL electronics go black.....radio turns off, NAVI stops working
and also dropped my calls when linked to car phone feature.

Now it is the 4th time that all my systems have failed....HONDA Dealer advise me they now have
4 different connectors that they are working with to resolve the issue....with no guarantees.

Honda is in the midst of a Class Action Law Suit on this one, here in Arizona it qualifies for Lemon
Law Protection according to my conversation with Attorney General yesterday.

Honda Customer Service advised me it may take 2 to 6 months to process my request for BUY BACK.
I have been a Honda customer for 41 years. I worked at Honda Dealer for 11 years...first time I ask
Honda to help me they basically are blowing me off. Getting ready to divorce Honda and switch to Hyundai.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good luck! I'm turning mine in to dealer today. 5 fixes with no long-term success

6/18/2021
I have had my 9K 2020 Elite Pilot in 3 times already to Re-Do or attempt to repair wiring
harnesses, pin connectors and adapters. It appears the real root cause is likely a faulty
wiring harness that has too many ohms of resistance that causes domino effect of system
failures. Driving down the road ALL electronics go black.....radio turns off, NAVI stops working

Now it is the 4th time that all my systems have failed....HONDA Dealer advise me they now have
4 different connectors that they are working with to resolve the issue....with no guarantees.

Honda is in the midst of a Class Action Law Suit on this one, here in Arizona it qualifies for Lemon

Honda Customer Service advised me it may take 2 to 6 months to process my request for BUY BACK.
I have been a Honda customer for 41 years. I worked at Honda Dealer for 11 years...first time I ask
Honda to help me they basically are blowing me off. Getting ready to divorce Honda and switch to Hyundai.

·
Registered
13 Posts
6/18/2021

can't rely on your reputation and then completely blow your reputation with zero regard for your loyal customers without repercussions. Husband is getting a new car and so is kid off to college. What was going to be a three Honda family again is now a never Honda family. Keep pushing and get a car you can be satisfied with.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts