Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just throwing this out there but has anyone actually had the problem fixed? I have had mine to the dealer three times now, nothing has been fixed. I have read a decent amount of posts about this problem but I dont think i have come across any that say they actually had the problem fixed. I am giving this dealership one more try to repair my 2020 pilot then I was going to try a different dealer and if that didnt work then i will probably start the lemon law proceedings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There have been a few members who have reported successful repairs. Usually after multiple dealer visits and having Honda direct the dealer’s tech for the repair. I would call Honda’s customer care number and explain your situation. What has the dealer tried so far? Also what trim level is your Pilot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is a 2020 touring model, the first trip to the dealer they stated some bound up and stressed wiring in the harness for the infotainment system and rerouted the harness. that fix lasted about a week. the next trip they replaced the harness for the infotainment and that fix lasted about 1000 miles. The third trip was the same as the first, bound up wiring and that fix lasted about 200 miles. The thing that kills me is they drive the car after the supposed repair only a few miles. Last time it was 30 miles which my commute to work is 42 miles one way. I am waiting for their master tech to call me today to discuss a plan because i explained to them i am not going to drop this vehicle off and have someone jiggle some wires, drive the car and say its good again.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The NHTSA posts TSBs and Honda’s communications with their dealers at this link:
I would suggest reading the mfg communications on this problem to familiarize yourself with Honda’s perspective on this problem. While on the NHTSA site you can log a complaint. If the backup camera is inoperative when the failure occurs, specifically mention that in your complaint In the first sentence. Backup cameras are required on all new vehicles. The 10th gen Accord had a recall generated for a SW issue with backup camera.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I just got mine back after the fifth time at the dealer. They had a Honda engineer come in who found the amplifier was defective and the MOST bus connector for the amplifier was bad. Both were replaced. Previously, the DVD player, infotainment unit, and the dash cluster were replaced. Before that, they worked on (but did not replace) the harness.

It's only been two days, but so far so good. This of course means nothing because I had the problem disappear for a month in between dealer repair visits.

Reactions: RyanMan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m just now having these issues 2020 pilot touring. Just wondering has anyone tried the lemon law in their state and was successful?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard of people filing lemon law claims but I don't know if anyone has had any success. I think most people who got their vehicles bought back it was through the dealership they purchased the vehicle from. Mine is fixed. They replaced all the wiring, infotainment system, amplifier everything. They pretty much had to completely strip my car down the bare metal and rewire the entire thing. It's been about 1000 miles and so far no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with the infotainment system on my 2020 pilot touring. I harased the dealership for 3 weeks.Called corporate 5 times ,took it to another dealership and wrote terrible reviews on the dealerships website and threaten them with lemon law..They finally fixed it when a corporate FTS came out..took 4 hrs.Only been a few days but so far so good.Sqeaky wheel gets the grease

·
Registered
306 Posts
it is a 2020 touring model, the first trip to the dealer they stated some bound up and stressed wiring in the harness for the infotainment system and rerouted the harness. that fix lasted about a week. the next trip they replaced the harness for the infotainment and that fix lasted about 1000 miles. The third trip was the same as the first, bound up wiring and that fix lasted about 200 miles. The thing that kills me is they drive the car after the supposed repair only a few miles. Last time it was 30 miles which my commute to work is 42 miles one way. I am waiting for their master tech to call me today to discuss a plan because i explained to them i am not going to drop this vehicle off and have someone jiggle some wires, drive the car and say its good again.
Somebody has to pay the technician to drive the vehicle. For warranty repairs, Honda pays the dealer only for diagnosis, parts, and repair. They do not pay the dealer for someone to drive around in the vehicle after the repair is completed. The dealer's primary financial interest is customer-pay maintenance and repairs followed by warranty-pay repairs. For customer-pay repairs, they can charge whatever they want. For warranty-pay repairs, they're limited to a fixed amount so they tend to spend the absolute minimum amount of time it takes before moving on to the next job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got mine back last week after the third visit. I already had the wires rerouted in the blue ray player and the rear control unit twice. This time, they said they used a brand new procedure from Honda Canada that they are testing. It's not on Tech line yet. They tape the MOST cable To the rear control unit to get rid of slack there. I have had no issues since. My symptoms were cracking Bluetooth calls, lost connection messages followed by black nav screen. Was failing 3-4 times a day before last visit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It went out again... But this time it was because if different connections. Could tell by the error codes. They now taped all of the MOST wires at the connectors. Here is what I have gathered. Shorted at RES or AMP, NAV screen shuts down. Short at Blue Ray, crackling sound during calls at first. Then shut down of NAV and Dashboard along with other random crackling sounds. I'm still convinced that it is this because it kept resetting any time I took a sharp turn or hit a bump. It reset 20 times in a 2 h drive. No problems since the last tape job.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The infotainment systems and MOST bus networks in the Odyssey, Pilot, Passport, and RDX are causing Honda (and owners) some grief.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a 2021 Pilot EX-L but this thread on the infotainment issues concerns me. Most posts reference the Touring package. Is this an issue with all Pilots or just the Touring and higher? Has there been any progress from Honda with a fix? Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Theres already a tsb for it, so it shouldn't be a problem once they are serviced. Just check with the dealer to make sure any tsb's have been taken care of. It might not apply to the 21's because it's probably a normal install.
People complain on here because they dont search and see theres been a fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My service advisor told me the fix is only about 1-2 months old. My guess is that new cars for sale right now do not have the fix which involves new connectors and cables. They may have the software updates but not the hardware fixes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Theres already a tsb for it, so it shouldn't be a problem once they are serviced. Just check with the dealer to make sure any tsb's have been taken care of. It might not apply to the 21's because it's probably a normal install.
People complain on here because they dont search and see theres been a fix.
just in case anyone happens upon this thread looking for advice please ignore this person's post. I took my car to the dealer 75% more time than I had it myself and had Honda techs work with local Honda dealership. All temporary fixes. People are complaining here because there is no known remedy. Everything is temporary. This is how long after this post? This is happening to me right now and Honda has no idea how to fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
just in case anyone happens upon this thread looking for advice please ignore this person's post. I took my car to the dealer 75% more time than I had it myself and had Honda techs work with local Honda dealership. All temporary fixes. People are complaining here because there is no known remedy. Everything is temporary. This is how long after this post? This is happening to me right now and Honda has no idea how to fix it.
Which symptoms are you having? There are a number of issues, with some slightly different causes. The screen resetting is fixable, but it requires work at multiple points. There still is a bluetooth cracking issue that Jonda knows about, but not yet fixable. It's not cool that they knowingly sold vehicles this way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Screen resetting and the crackle and pops and weird static on calls. Also random loss of back speakers but I think that's something they messed up on with last fix. I've had updates, most cords replaced, bus cord replaced, most extenders replaced, and two other times that they just relieved tension supposedly. Every fix works for a little and then problem comes back, just a bit different. Dealer is going to buy back. I'm going to be out some $ I don't have and be worse off then where I started.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts