Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen / read many posts and now I'm a little confused on what I need.
Tentatively negotiated a deal on late Saturday for a new 2018 Pilot Elite AWD and hoping to close and pick it up today.
My primary reason for upgrading to this setup is to tow approx 3700lbs, so I wanted the 5,000lb towing package and I will purchase a brake controller seperately. I do not want an aftermarket hitch, as I want the concealed OEM receiver (not the hang-down after-market) and I don't want to void my Honda warranty.
Researching looks like I NEED:
> Hitch / receiver
> 7-pin harness
> ATF Cooler

Salesman / Dealer provided a cost breakdown for Dealer Accessories and is telling me that the "hitch" does not include the harness (made no mention of the ATF cooler). Salesman is telling me Hitch is ~ $1,200 + ~$330 for the harness. (Again, ATF Cooler not identified or mentioned).

I've seen posts here quoting $800 and sent that to the dealer, he said No Way, price is $1,532.
I explained this is a Deal Breaker.

My understanding is I need all 3 of the items I listed and should expect to pay about $800 if they match another dealer price. Am I incorrect? Any assistance / corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good News!
Initially the Sales guy replied and said this is the way they've always done it in the past and that management agreed to meet me @ $1000. I said No Deal then. He came back 15 minutes later and agreed to my $800 price.
Now I just need them to put it in writing and make sure I'm getting everything I need.

So, just to confirm.
> Hitch / receiver
> 7-pin harness
> ATF Cooler

is that it? (Is there a special body panel/cover for the rear bumper??)

Do I need a special harness for the Brake Controller? (assuming this is not part of the wiring harness they will be installing)
(I think this harness plugs in under the dash, correct?)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The harness is under the dash. you may need an adapter to connect it up. When you buy the controller, they should know what (if any) adapter is needed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
OEM hitch on internet is $270. Takes a mechanic a max of 1 hour to install. I would hate to pay my dealer more than $500 for the hitch install including cost of hitch itself. I think the trans cooler is $150 online FYI. install is a little more involved than the hitch though. I installed my hitch myself in about 45 min. I am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OEM hitch on internet is $270. Takes a mechanic a max of 1 hour to install. I would hate to pay my dealer more than $500 for the hitch install including cost of hitch itself. I think the trans cooler is $150 online FYI. install is a little more involved than the hitch though. I installed my hitch myself in about 45 min. I am not a mechanic.
Could you please share some pictures of the post install hitch? Where did you buy the OEM hitch? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts