Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the ATF need to be replaced when installing a Transmission Cooler on the 9 Speed Transmission? Planning on getting one installed and don’t want to replace the fluid before I get it as I do not want to waste the fluid. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Does the ATF need to be replaced when installing a Transmission Cooler on the 9 Speed Transmission? Planning on getting one installed and don’t want to replace the fluid before I get it as I do not want to waste the fluid. Thanks in advance.
No, but you will definitely have to add to it to account for the cooler. It’s I believe in the area of 1 qt., or something like that.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
The official Honda accessory includes enough ATF to be added to compensate for the cooler and extended lines.
True, I’m pretty handy with my car, but I’d definitely think ‘bout having the dealer installing it...esp with out 9 speeds. Sure more $$, but insurance against potential tranny issues later...or atleast it would be on them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don’t even tow anything, but I wanted to give the ZF9 the benefit of having a transmission fluid cooler so I got the official 5,000lb tow package installed by the dealer. Most of the time it’s just one of us driving the Pilot alone, so that transmission should hold up pretty well compared to Pilots that regularly carry 7 or 8 people while towing.

True, I’m pretty handy with my car, but I’d definitely think ‘bout having the dealer installing it...esp with out 9 speeds. Sure more $$, but insurance against potential tranny issues later...or atleast it would be on them.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
I don’t even tow anything, but I wanted to give the ZF9 the benefit of having a transmission fluid cooler so I got the official 5,000lb tow package installed by the dealer. Most of the time it’s just one of us driving the Pilot alone, so that transmission should hold up pretty well compared to Pilots that regularly carry 7 or 8 people while towing.
Oh yea definitely agreed! Define of those items I wish Honda would just install at the factory. Cooler tranny fluid = longer life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts