Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2018 Pilot EX-L. Above 60 mph there seems to be an annoying level of wind noise outside the driver's window. Dealership seems to think it is due to the side mirror. Anyone experience this and have you been able to resolve the issue, maybe with new door gaskets, etc.?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve had the same issue with both the 2017 and 2016 EX-L, unfortunately it’s just the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same issue here on very windy days on the drivers door. I have read that this is an ongoing problem with many 3rd Gen Pilots/

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
Duplicate post removed. Please don’t start multiple threads.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have it, and have determined it is because the drivers window is not totally tight in the slot it slides through. If there is a strong crosswind you can really hear it. If i push out on the window, i can make it stop. I mostly don't notice it now, but i came from a qx56 that was like a library so it annoyed me for a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We noticed top corner of front windshield noise coming from both sides of car above 60 mph. More of a whistle than a buffeting sound. Also noticed the whistle started around 50 mph when going downhill. That got me thinking... when the nose of the car is lower, the front windshield gets loaded with more air, so I looked around the windshield area. The sides of the windshield have scoops that take the air and rain to the top of the car. It channels the air into a gutter, a gap of 1/4” X 1/4” in a channel that is molded into the black trim running down both sides of the roof. I started playing around with different ways to alter that gap.

Fix: purchased one foot of 3/16” ID vacuum hose (single wall hose, soft, black to match trim) at auto parts store. I cut two, one inch pieces and squeezed one piece down into the channel on each side of roof. I placed the hose nearest the windshield, down in the start of the channel. The hose closes up most of the gap. Like blocking a whistle, the noise is gone!

I tested at speeds I will not disclose but the wind noise / whistle has never been heard from since (5-6 months ago) ?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are some pics. Just cut a short piece of hose and push it down into the gap in the trim. Push a piece of hose on both sides (driver's and passenger's sides).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
This problem also exists on the 2018 Pilot Elite. It is in the shop right now at Hugh White in Columbus, OH. I was told yesterday that the driver side wind noise is also apparent in other 2018's, but that's not the answer that I want. I want the problem fixed. I have used blue painters tape along the windshield to reduce the noise and that is very effective, but that's not "the look" that I want...

Any idea if this problem is finally fixed in the 2018/2019 version?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This problem also exists on the 2018 Pilot Elite. It is in the shop right now at Hugh White in Columbus, OH. I was told yesterday that the driver side wind noise is also apparent in other 2018's, but that's not the answer that I want. I want the problem fixed. I have used blue painters tape along the windshield to reduce the noise and that is very effective, but that's not "the look" that I want...
Please let us know if the shop gives you the results you're seeking and how they exactly achieved it.

With that said; there are certain "pain points" with every car...sure some models have more of these pain points than others. I know that unlike the other trims in the Pilot; the Touring and Elite trims use "acoustic glass" on the windshield and driver/passenger windows to reduce outside noise. I own a 2018 EX-L Pilot and have not compared it to the outside noise in the Elite/Touring trims but can definitely say that the EX -L definitely lets in quite a bit of outside noise.

I just don't think certain things can be remedied by taking the car into the shop; this outside noise bit is just one of those things that's a pain point with the car. Either live with it because one tells themselves that the good stuff about the car outweigh the cons; or just sell or trade it in. I am TRULY curious if/how the shop fixes this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue after install the roof rails. Could you post or sent me photos of what and where you use the hose. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
We noticed top corner of front windshield noise coming from both sides of car above 60 mph. More of a whistle than a buffeting sound. Also noticed the whistle started around 50 mph when going downhill. That got me thinking... when the nose of the car is lower, the front windshield gets loaded with more air, so I looked around the windshield area. The sides of the windshield have scoops that take the air and rain to the top of the car. It channels the air into a gutter, a gap of 1/4” X 1/4” in a channel that is molded into the black trim running down both sides of the roof. I started playing around with different ways to alter that gap.

Fix: purchased one foot of 3/16” ID vacuum hose (single wall hose, soft, black to match trim) at auto parts store. I cut two, one inch pieces and squeezed one piece down into the channel on each side of roof. I placed the hose nearest the windshield, down in the start of the channel. The hose closes up most of the gap. Like blocking a whistle, the noise is gone!

I tested at speeds I will not disclose but the wind noise / whistle has never been heard from since (5-6 months ago) ?.

I have the same issue after install the roof rails. Could you post or sent me photos of what and where you use the hose. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree, I think it is because it doesnt sit tight in the slot up at the top. I think other posters have commented about the elite trim having the acoustic glass. I wonder if that is a thicker glass that forms a better seal at the top of the window? I wonder if they just used the same gaskets inside the door for both the elite model and lower trims, and then you were either lucky or unlucky as to whether you end up with wind noise? I too have a similar car to your qx56...I have an Armada...and it is also silent inside with no semblance of wind noise anywhere. I am about to go scorched earth over this wind noise thing and will keep you all updated on it as events unfold. Currently sitting with an "open ticket" at the service department over this. At this point, I am asking Honda for an entire new loaded driver door assembly to be replaced under warranty. I truly think that is very reasonable given the amount of time I have spent simply taking this vehicle in for the issue not to be resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Side window visors

Has anyone tried installing side window visors. I'm thinking that may alter the airflow enough to lessen or eliminate the noise, or maybe make it worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine had the wind noise before installing the rails. Adding the rails did not increase or decrease the wind noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Pilot EX. At highway speeds >45 MPH, I hear a fluctuating wind turbulence noise coming from the top corners of the windshield. The intensity increase/changes with speed and position (forward vs turns or curves in the road). Is this normal? I have owned other vehicles and never experienced this before. i am puzzled. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone tried installing side window visors. I'm thinking that may alter the airflow enough to lessen or eliminate the noise, or maybe make it worse.
Yes, I have installed it trying to resolve exact same problem. It did not work.
After 8 months of trying different things (masking tape around trim, doors etc), and multiple trips to dealers I am 60% convinced it is sound proofing glass AWD models do not have compared to touring and elite.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts