Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 2019 RX 350 a few months ago and gave the 2018 Pilot Touring to the wife. I was driving today thinking about how different these two cars are in spite of the fact both of them have a 3.5L V-6 with 6+ gears and AWD. My impressions:

2019 RX 350 - Much quieter than the Pilot but the RX also sounds like a sewing machine when you rev it. There’s no really change in tone and no real character to the engine. I do not know how it produces 295hp because it also feels much slower. Gas mileage is also poorer. The 8-speed is terrible. Too quick to upshift and simultaneously too quick to downshift. In the non-F-sport version the transmission will NOT hold a gear in manual mode - put it in 4th gear and floor it and it will downshift every time. The transmission has the opposite problem of the ZF 9-speed - it drives beautifully under light/moderate throttle but does not handle full throttle downshifts or up shifts very well. The AWD system is also not nearly as good as Honda’s. I can easily get the front wheels to slip even under partial throttle before the rear wheels kick in and the traction control system is constantly intervening.

2018 Pilot Touring - The V-Tec kicking in and the overall sound is much more mechanical/present. The 9-speed for all it’s faults performs much better under moderate to full throttle but somehow flounders under light throttle in the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. I like the driving character of the Pilot engine/transmission much better if you ignore the hard light throttle shift harshness. The AWD in the Pilot is superior. In dry conditions I have tons of grip and the torque vectoring is noticeable. All that said my rear differential is currently leaking so....

To be honest....I think overall both Honda and Lexus could do better as both drivetrains suffer from design and implementation issues that I just didn’t think we’d be dealing with in 2018/2019. The Honda is more engaging to drive but there’s something about the quiet of the Lexus I enjoy too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing. I have a 2016 EXL and I really like it. I do miss not having blind spot , Nav, and a few other techs.

I drove a 2019 RX 450 h and it seemed really nice. Probably going to do this in early January since the word is Lexus will do a mid refresh in 2020.

Have you driven the Lexus on any long trips yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife has a 2019 RX350L. The L version adds 4.4 inches to the length of a regular RX350 to fit a small 3rd row.

That car drives like a tank. The doors are heavy and feel more like a Mercedes. It’s almost the same length while narrower than the Pilot but has a lot less space inside.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We took a look at Lexus before trading our 2016 Pilot in for a Volvo XC90. Pilot had 80,000 trouble free miles on it, but I could tell something was happening with the drivetrain as there was a district whine starting to be heard from the rear. It served us well, but we were ready for something new.

Wasn’t really feeling the Lexus overall in terms of style, tech, and switch/buttons, etc. just felt like a more expensive Toyota which is really is. I know reliability is top notch though.

With all the issues you mentioned any reason you went ahead and bought it. Did you cross shop others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts