Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter on our 2018 Pilot Touring ~13.5 miles failed. We had just taken a 5hr drive luckily it did not fail at any of the many rest stops, as it was cold and snowing pretty hard most of the drive. Parked the car at a hotel over night (single digit temps over night) and car wouldn't start the next day. Honda care took care of it, towed the car to a local dealer, fixed the part in a 2 days and returned it back to our hotel, thank you Honda for the good service! I was wondering if this is a known issue or if anyone else has had a starter fail so prematurely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Sometimes you get unlucky with a component failing before its average life expectancy. The opposite holds true with sometimes getting lucky and a part lasting well beyond its years. I’m glad to hear yours failed during the warranty period and Honda took care of you.

With that said I am skeptical of vehicles with auto stop/start features (I believe your upper level trim Pilot has this function). I am not sure if you consistently disable that feature, but personally I would find a way to permanently disable it since the on/off cycling will place additional stress on the starter, battery, etc. All this in the name of saving 1mpg. In my opinion that fuel savings isn’t worth the potential premature degradation of those components, especially when if you’re on the hook for the repair costs after the warranty expires.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes you get unlucky with a component failing before its average life expectancy. The opposite holds true with sometimes getting lucky and a part lasting well beyond its years. I’m glad to hear yours failed during the warranty period and Honda took care of you.

With that said I am skeptical of vehicles with auto stop/start features (I believe your upper level trim Pilot has this function). I am not sure if you consistently disable that feature, but personally I would find a way to permanently disable it since the on/off cycling will place additional stress on the starter, battery, etc. All this in the name of saving 1mpg. In my opinion that fuel savings isn’t worth the potential premature degradation of those components, especially when if you’re on the hook for the repair costs after the warranty expires.
Thanks Road2Cycle. That makes a lot of sense. I am going to disable the start/stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts