Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EXL Navi.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. Just trying to troubleshoot a small issue. 2018 Pilot EX-L Navi (Canada). 33,000kms. This last few weeks, now and again, when we press either the lift gates button on the drivers door or button above the license plate to open the lift gate, something weird happens, it opens about an inch, makes a beep that it’s going to do something else and closes again. It only pops out an inch or two, then closes. When it’s done this I have then tried the button at the back and it’s repeated this error a couple more times before opening correctly. Then it works ok all week. Then will do it again a few days later. It’s dry weather. Never done it when wet, yet. 20c temps.
Of course I check all around the door and inside the opening for obstructions.
I see the sensors down each side of the lift gate. I can touch those and they always stop the closing. Seem ok during testing.
Are there any other sensors anywhere that could be acting up?

There’s no indication on the dash about lift gate problems.
It does not have the hands free kick sensor for opening on our model.

And a second unrelated thing, I think, more of an observation, we get a few cups of water run out of the sides of the raised lift gate after rains. Has done as long as we remember. It comes out of the sides of the lift gate, out of a gap, from below the lift gate rear glass, where the glass’s bottom outer seal is set along the outer door. The lift gate does not get water inside itself. It’s just in that curved gap below the glass, where the seal follows the outer door. You can see when the lift gate’s raised, water coming out of that space about half way along the sides, where the bottom of the glass starts. It does not look like anything’s missing. I just worry about freezing and expanding on the glass in that space. Although it hasn’t caused an issue yet. Or corrosion. I have read of others comments about similar complaints as I was looking on here about the lift gate issues. Some mention a similar small amount of water. Others had lift gets full of water inside!
Is this small amount from the bottom of the glass normal for everyone? Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
When you hold the button at the back until you hear 2 beeps, the gate should unlock and be in manual mode and you should be able to open it with a slight lift. If it is really difficult to open from this position, you may have issues with the struts.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EXL Navi.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes it opens manually ok.
If it acts up more we will take it in to the dealer to check the struts. It’s not something you can recreate on demand though.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
With out seeing a video of what you are describing, I would be concerned about water running out of the lift gate area after a rain. Even a little water penetration could cause damage to the inside of the lift gate, as well as the mechanical and electrical components.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If opening manually it likely is not the issue, but confirming you have been cleaning the struts and inspected the hinges tonnage sure they remain properly attached, aligned, are not corroded and remain unimpeded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts