Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got B 1 6 maint minder on Pilot 18. Driving it mostly in the city, no heavy loads, no trailer. Didn't even max 15k yet but to change rear differential fluid sounds like hoax from Honda, please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Think of it as kind of a break in fluid change. The first fluid change is within the first 15k miles and then change every 30k (I think?) or so after.

Everything will be fine if you choose to forgo this service, but it couldn't hurt to do it to maximize the life of your vehicle. If you can afford a Pilot you can afford a rear differential service (or DIY it).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yep. 30k after the initial 15K if you qualify under normal driving conditions. If you do a lot of offroading or towing, they suggest sooner. My fluid looked brand new at 15K, while doing mostly highway and some city.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
I got B 1 6 maint minder on Pilot 18. Driving it mostly in the city, no heavy loads, no trailer. Didn't even max 15k yet but to change rear differential fluid sounds like hoax from Honda, please share your thoughts.
The engine has an oil filter, the transmission has a transmission fluid filter, the rear differential has no filter. As the new gears mesh they will shed tiny particles of metal until they have mated. The 15 K rear differential fluid chance is there so the particles are removed one the gears have mated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
In order to understand why Honda is telling you to change the rear diff fluid, you first need to understand the design of the rear diff system. Read the sections "Controls and Parameters" and "System Layout" from the link below. It applies to both the 6-spd and 9-spd trans.

In short, the clutches in the rear diff are almost always slipping - hence the need to regularly change the fluid. Still think it's a hoax?

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
250 Posts
I think I changed mine around 12k miles. Will change again at 40k miles and every 30k from then on.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Before there was a maintenance minder, the rear differential fluid change schedule under normal use was at 15K, 30K and then every 30K thereafter.
However, under severe use conditions - which might include mostly city driving - the rear differential fluid change schedule was at 7.5K, 15K and then every 15K thereafter.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
Its an easy DIY.

It took me longer to go to honda and buy the fluid then to drain and fill.

Here is a thread with pictures and more detail if you want to DIY.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Before there was a maintenance minder, the rear differential fluid change schedule under normal use was at 15K, 30K and then every 30K thereafter.
This forum is fortunate to have a scholarly scribe who can quote the Old Testament from memory.

Or to indulge in another metaphor, when your GPS does dark out at sea, it's good to have someone on board who still knows how to navigate by sextant.

IOW, no hoax, OP.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
This forum is fortunate to have a scholarly scribe who can quote the Old Testament from memory. View attachment 145050

Or to indulge in another metaphor, when your GPS does dark out at sea, it's good to have someone on board who still knows how to navigate by sextant.

IOW, no hoax, OP.
What the OP doesn't know is that with a three-year-old Pilot, based on time alone, the rear differential fluid should already have been changed at least twice and up to four times given severe use.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
please share your thoughts.
you'll get more than just thoughts here! thanks for asking and hope you choose to take care of your Honda for many years to come, unless you don't care to and just plan on trading it back in or are on a lease.
fluid changes are the least expensive way of making sure components don't fail in the future

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
This forum is fortunate to have a scholarly scribe who can quote the Old Testament from memory. View attachment 145050

IOW, no hoax, OP.

Honey, I told you this doesn't work on clouds ... you can play with this later tonight after you change the oil in the bilge pump. Until then I have to spread holy words of wisdom to the wandering tribes of the land of Piloteers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What the OP doesn't know is that with a three-year-old Pilot, based on time alone, the rear differential fluid should already have been changed at least twice and up to four times given severe use.
Time is not a factor in rear differential fluid replacement like it is for engine oil and brake fluid.

I don't think the OP has anything to worry about... :)

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I could tell you what's not a hoax, but it would be political- and that's frowned upon here- and that's good.
You have your answer.
Welcome to the site, and Happy Motoring!

Reactions: undivide

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Honda would disagree with your opinion.
I read that post as sarcasm.
He included this and this post from a Ridge site

I don't think the OP has anything to worry about... :)

www.ridgelineownersclub.com

·
Registered
306 Posts
Look at an owner's manual from before the MM was introduced.
Why would I refer to the maintenance instructions in an owner's manual that wasn't written for the vehicle I'm maintaining?

If the rear differential required fluid changes based on time, don't you think Honda would put that in either the owner's manual or service information?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.