Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just got my 2018 Pilot with 21,500 miles inspected today and the dealership said that the AWD system needs to be serviced and the Rear Differential needs to be changed. How was I supposed to know that the Rear Diff. oil needed to be changed?

Also, what type of oil is needed for this Rear Diff. and where would you recommend to purchase this oil?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
64 Posts
You’ll get the code on the pop up dash that tells you what maintenance needs to be done. As far as oil goes I just grab the one at Honda oem fluid. Really easy to DIY.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts

The MM maintenance minder will tell you when it should be done once it is done and reset. The types of fluids are listed above in the specifications. The dealer's part department will have what you need. However if you check around you can usually find it cheaper at other places.

Go to the Honda Owners site and download the Owners Manual. It's free and quite useful.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Curious what "service" the AWD system requires? Unless they just mean changing fluids?

The transfer case and the rear differential along with the transmission fluids all have a Maintenance Minder code that will come up when they need changing.

The rear differential code (6) usually comes up somewhere between 14000-18000 miles for the first time under normal driving.

The rear differential fluid change is a pretty simple procedure, not much more difficult than doing an oil change. There are posts on here if you feel like doing it yourself. Here is just one example of what an owner posted on doing it himself.

Rear Differential Fluid Change DIY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I currently have 21,500 miles on the car and I never got a maintenance minder telling me the Rear Differential fluid needed to be changed... Should I change it anyway?

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
I currently have 21,500 miles on the car and I never got a maintenance minder telling me the Rear Differential fluid needed to be changed... Should I change it anyway?
So, you've never yet seen a '6' code appear, along with either the 'A1' or 'B1' code, when the oil life went down to 15% or less?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, you've never yet seen a '6' code appear, along with either the 'A1' or 'B1' code, when the oil life went down to 15% or less?
No. I currently have the A1 code that shows the oil life is down to it's 15%. That's it...

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
This is what Honda says for the 2018 Pilot...

Generally you should get a Letter Code then the number code 6 for differential. Are you perhaps off schedule in some way? If not or your not sure I would ask the service tech to explain it to you and refer them to this.

You can go the Honda Owners site to see the service schedule codes. Just enter your vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never got the maintenance minder #6. Based on the information from Honda that you provided, it only shows mileage intervals for towing and mountain driving. It doesn't show any mileage recommendations for normal driving.

I'll take a picture of my dash screen later today to show you what it currently displays...

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
I would ask them to explain it then. On my 2020 Passport the first rear diff change is at 15,000 miles. Apparently Honda does an early first change and then every 30K to 40K after that.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
I wish they had a maintenance schedule that was broken down in miles...
Thats the thing, mileage is great, if you are driving the way the ever omnipotent THEY figure is average driving, where as the MM is based on algorithm that analyzes the vehicle performance, you driving habits as well as time. All highway miles, fewer oil changes etc. All stop and go traffic lots of oil changes etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
4-diff fluid changes in 90k miles? This is a needy rear diff! I just bought a 2016 with 37k miles. What are the chances anyone changed the diff fluid once, let alone twice? Can't tell from the Carfax if it had been done or not.

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
4-diff fluid changes in 90k miles? This is a needy rear diff! I just bought a 2016 with 37k miles. What are the chances anyone changed the diff fluid once, let alone twice? Can't tell from the Carfax if it had been done or not.
Have you run the vin through the Honda Owners site to see what their service records show?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not quite. First one at 15000, then every 30000 miles after that. So you would have it at 15k, 45k ,75k, and 105k. Doesn't sound too needy in all reality to me.

With 37000 miles on your used 2016, it would have only come up once under normal driving conditions at 15000 miles. Shouldn't come up again until around 45000 miles per the maintenance minder and what other owners have reported.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
522 Posts
Fluid changes are much cheaper than the mechanical parts. If you learn to do them yourself it's not hard and much cheaper. If you have to go the dealer each time it will get costly. Check the other thread with tranny cooler/fluid and decide if you want to wait to change the tranny fluid on yours.

Your rear differential has electronics to utilize the clutch packs for torque vectoring and other adjusted lock up scenario's. It's part of a $40k investment, treat it (and the other lubricated parts) with some TLC.

2 qts of Dual Pump Fluid is $31 shipped on Amazon, not sure what your dealer charges.
$8 for the Quart Pump that will last a long time and can be used for your front differential also.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Before there was a Maintenance Minder, the mileage-based schedule for rear differential fluid changes based on "normal" use was at 15K, 30K and at every 30K thereafter - so the fourth change would be due at 90K.
For use mainly under "severe" conditions - in extreme temperatures, for short trips and/or towing - the schedule was 7.5K, 15K and at every 15K thereafter - so the seventh change would be due at 90K.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I was in the same boat purchasing a used 2016 so I just changed all the fluids to be sure as no codes were showing. Didn't show on Carfax either and when I tried the VIN on Honda Owners, it was not valid as it is a Canadian Model.
When I drained it, the fluid looked really clean so it may have been done prior. Couldn't say the same for the transmission fluid though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IS973800 - The maintenance guide linked above shows 15k, 30k, THEN every 30k. I agree that 15k then every 30k would make more sense, but I was just going by the table posted in the thread:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts