Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 513 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please use this thread to discuss pricing on model year 2018 Pilots ONLY!

How to report your price:

Trim level
AWD or FWD
Sensing or Navigation or Rear Entertainment options

MSRP inc delivery
Price Paid before extras
Dealer fitted extras
Tax
Title and other fees
Total

Dealer name, city, state.
Additionally, please share if you traded in a car or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
What timing! We started shopping for a 2017 EX-L with Honda Sensing just last week. We had asked about info on the 2018 model year, and no one had details.

As of yesterday, Dec 4th, the lowest price we got for a 2017 EX-L with sensing was $36,456 from Route 22 Honda, in Madison, NJ.

We will now need to renegotiate or do this all over again for the 2018.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this a good deal

I've been getting this price in the SoCal area. Is this a good deal?

Trim level
2017 EX-L FWD with Honda Sensing

MSRP inc delivery- $38,735
Price Quoted before extras- $33,500

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been getting this price in the SoCal area. Is this a good deal?

Trim level
2017 EX-L FWD with Honda Sensing

MSRP inc delivery- $38,735
Price Quoted before extras- $33,500

Thanks
I paid a little less for a 2017. Check out my post in the 2017 Prices Paid thread (Post #1720).

I think Honda extended the 0.90% APR for up to 60 months until 02/28/2018.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Made a deal with McDavid Frisco Honda over the phone. I bought my 2015 Accord there and they are mostly honest...they aren't always up front about dealer options until you show up. They are near Dallas. WE HAVE NOT CLOSED THIS DEAL YET, but I have paper work that looks legit and am working with an assistant manager. I'm waiting on car to come in and I have assurances they will not slap their usual $1,800 package of dealer options on this car. However, there is still some risk and I will update this post as things progress.

2018 EX-L with Honda Sense
FWD
Sensing Option

MSRP inc delivery: $38,735
Price Paid before extras: $35,200
Dealer fitted extras: $0
Tax: $2,200
Title and other fees: $180 Doc Fee + $266.91 (non-tax items).
Total: $37,846.91

Dealer listed the discount from MSRP as $3535

·
Registered
14 Posts
2018 EX-L AWD w/HS

Sale price 36,400 (destination included, NO dealer add-on's)
OTD price 39,400 (all taxes & fees)

deal done today

·
Registered
7 Posts
2018 EX-L AWD w/HS

Sale price 36,400 (destination included, NO dealer add-on's)

OTD price 39,400 (all taxes & fees)

deal done today

What part of the country? I’m in the Midwest and looking at an EX-L. Don’t care if it’s a 2017 or 2018. If anyone has advice I’ll listen. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
What part of the country? I’m in the Midwest and looking at an EX-L. Don’t care if it’s a 2017 or 2018. If anyone has advice I’ll listen. Thanks!

Chicago burbs, Valley Honda. I didn't price out EX-L's (fwd I presume), only EX-L AWD with Sensing. Only 2 Pilots left in this trim in the entire tri-state area that are '17's. I saw a lot more EX-L fwd still left though... I would expect at least 10% off MSRP on the '17's, that seemed to be the average on the prices I was quoted. On the '18 I ended up buying, I got more than 10% off MSRP (36,400 on 40,630) so 12%-15% off MSRP on the '17's seem doable.

My strategy was to email as many dealers as I could through their website to get an E-price. Most will just ask you to come in for a test drive, or if they give you a price it might not include destination charges or any dealer add-on's. In your email make sure you include the phrase "I need a price WITH destination charges and NO dealer add-on's". If they ask you to come in for a test drive tell them you already test drove one in the trim you wanted and you have an offer that is 10% off MSRP in the trim you want. I never respond to their initial emails, let them come to you... after several days most will give you an exact OTD price with all taxes and fees included. In my case, I was looking for a '17, Valley Honda was on the high side and I never responded or called them back. After my initial deal with another dealer fell though on a '17, this was about a week after, I got an email from Valley with detailed quote with all fees and taxes included for an '18 in the trim I wanted... it was by far the best quote I got for an '18. $36,400 for '18 EX-L AWD w/ HS, MSRP is 46,300... I have the email with detailed charges and OTD price on my phone and all correspondeces so I know they won't be pulling any shenagigans at the last minute (do emails rather than voice calls so you have a written indisputable record of negotiations, I never answered any voice calls from dealers, only emails or texts).

I put in my deposit and my car arrives next week, my 5th new Honda. Never bought from Valley before, but they have fantastic reviews and transaction was fast and smooth. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Honda_Guy! I have actually gotten quotes from Valley before and they were the lowest I got. My thought is that since you got such a good deal on the ‘18, I should be able to do even better on the ‘17 since it’s technically a year older! I just hate the negotiation process. I’ll take your advice on the emailing. I definitely need AWD (WI), sensing is nice but i can go without. So will do some looking. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put in my deposit and my car arrives next week, my 5th new Honda. Never bought from Valley before, but they have fantastic reviews and transaction was fast and smooth. Good luck.
I am hoping this works out for you, but please be prepared for the worst. I have been in your same situation twice now in the last 2 years...deposit on vehicle, everything in writing, etc. then when I showed up to the dealer, I found dealer options on the car and the price was higher. Dealers have learned to combat internet/email/text shopping by giving a low price, then inflating it. I am heading 3 hours to a dealer in Dallas in a few weeks and I'm so worried I likely will buy a $55 SW Airlines flight home just in case.

I just walked out of a deal in Austin where they tried to sneak another $395 into the car for "fabric/body protection" AFTER I STARTING SIGNING PAPERWORK. Sales people have gotten more brazen. Here is my suggestion:
- Know what you will do if there are dealer add-ons NOW before the emotion of the moment takes over. Walk away, negotiate the cost of add-ons, etc. Are there items you would keep?
- Use you phone calculator to double check the numbers. You've been diligent, don't let your guard down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am hoping this works out for you, but please be prepared for the worst. I have been in your same situation twice now in the last 2 years...deposit on vehicle, everything in writing, etc. then when I showed up to the dealer, I found dealer options on the car and the price was higher. Dealers have learned to combat internet/email/text shopping by giving a low price, then inflating it. I am heading 3 hours to a dealer in Dallas in a few weeks and I'm so worried I likely will buy a $55 SW Airlines flight home just in case.

I just walked out of a deal in Austin where they tried to sneak another $395 into the car for "fabric/body protection" AFTER I STARTING SIGNING PAPERWORK. Sales people have gotten more brazen. Here is my suggestion:
- Know what you will do if there are dealer add-ons NOW before the emotion of the moment takes over. Walk away, negotiate the cost of add-ons, etc. Are there items you would keep?
- Use you phone calculator to double check the numbers. You've been diligent, don't let your guard down.
I get where you're coming from, I won't hesitate to walk in a heartbeat if they tried so much as to add air fresheners and add 10 bucks over the OTD price I have in hand. Luckily, I've never had a bad experience like yours... I've bought all my previous Hondas from different dealers and not a single one, Odyssey, Civic, Accord, CR-V, has rust proofing, roof racks, floor mats, whatever you name it.... they all came with exactly the trim & options I wanted, and nothing more. When I picked up my Accord it had pin striping... it was an inventory car which already had it, not added afterwards... the sales guy didn't even mention it, only said something like I was getting 100 dollar pin striping for free, I laughed at him and said yeah right, I can pick those up for 5 bucks at the parts store and do it myself in 5 minutes.

I think the key is to let them know you have been shopping around and you have another deal on offer (in my case I actually have several more for this Pilot, and I walked from the previous deal when the sales guy did some funky thing with the sales price & "rebate")... this is a Honda, not a Ferrari or a Bentley... there are plenty of Honda dealers around, and honest ones at that.

Another factor in your favor is social media, especially Yelp. I checked out every single dealer I contacted on Yelp, the ones that had the best reviews ALWAYS replied to every single bad/negative review... a single bad review can cost a dealer literally 100's of thousands in lost sales, I don't think any reputable dealer would risk that trying to wriggle several hundred dollars extra from a done deal... but then again I'm sure there are others that are still stupid enough to do so. The higher the review, more likely they would not want to risk a bad one... the one I purchased from had the highest on any in my area.

So far I've visited just one dealer... the one I had the original deal with that fell through. I did everything online through texts & emails, if at signing next week if they give me any funny business, I'm whipping out my phone and calling the next dealer I have an offer with right in front of them. If they added fabric protection or rust proofing it better be on them because I ain't paying or playing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get where you're coming from, I won't hesitate to walk in a heartbeat if they tried so much as to add air fresheners and add 10 bucks over the OTD price I have in hand. Luckily, I've never had a bad experience like yours... I've bought all my previous Hondas from different dealers and not a single one, Odyssey, Civic, Accord, CR-V, has rust proofing, roof racks, floor mats, whatever you name it.... they all came with exactly the trim & options I wanted, and nothing more. When I picked up my Accord it had pin striping... it was an inventory car which already had it, not added afterwards... the sales guy didn't even mention it, only said something like I was getting 100 dollar pin striping for free, I laughed at him and said yeah right, I can pick those up for 5 bucks at the parts store and do it myself in 5 minutes.

I think the key is to let them know you have been shopping around and you have another deal on offer (in my case I actually have several more for this Pilot, and I walked from the previous deal when the sales guy did some funky thing with the sales price & "rebate")... this is a Honda, not a Ferrari or a Bentley... there are plenty of Honda dealers around, and honest ones at that.

Another factor in your favor is social media, especially Yelp. I checked out every single dealer I contacted on Yelp, the ones that had the best reviews ALWAYS replied to every single bad/negative review... a single bad review can cost a dealer literally 100's of thousands in lost sales, I don't think any reputable dealer would risk that trying to wriggle several hundred dollars extra from a done deal... but then again I'm sure there are others that are still stupid enough to do so. The higher the review, more likely they would not want to risk a bad one... the one I purchased from had the highest on any in my area.

So far I've visited just one dealer... the one I had the original deal with that fell through. I did everything online through texts & emails, if at signing next week if they give me any funny business, I'm whipping out my phone and calling the next dealer I have an offer with right in front of them. If they added fabric protection or rust proofing it better be on them because I ain't paying or playing.
Jeez, Honda_Guy... I wish you could come with me to the dealership!!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda_guy,

Is this in Naperville area? Can u give name of the salesman u worked with & if possible email quote... thanks. Looking to buy same exact trim n option. The lowest I have got so far is 37257 destination included from Honda Joliet

·
Registered
6 Posts
I completely agree. I think the #1 negotiation technique is to always be working with multiple dealers and have a backup. When the dealer pulled the $395 game, he actually did me a favor. I already had a lower price lined up in Dallas ($550 cheaper, when he added the $395 it became almost $1K cheaper in Dallas). I was willing to pay more in Austin for the convenience and because the sales guy was very helpful. My wife had a hard time deciding on the Pilot vs. VW Atlas, etc. so we were in the dealership multiple times doing A/B comparisons.

It's nice to find a fellow grinder. I am a little twisted in that I like the game...trying to find the lowest price. I am in sales and have become more compassionate and am trying to get a little more centered. I think it's reasonable to pay a little more for a vehicle if they are honest and the sales guy has done his job, but then my ego likes the challenge of getting the lowest price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trim level. EX-L
AWD

MSRP $39,480
Price Paid $36,000
Dealer fitted extras- Had running boards, crossbars and rails swapped from trade.
Tax $1,040
Title and other fees $125
Total
$37,165

received $23,000 trade on my 16 pilot ex with 43k miles.

Carbone Honda, Yorkville, NY

Total financed $31,000 at 1.9 for 5 years.

had 2 years paid on 16 ex...to upgrade with $100 to an ex-l 18 cost us $5 more a month.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Made a deal with McDavid Frisco Honda over the phone. I bought my 2015 Accord there and they are mostly honest...they aren't always up front about dealer options until you show up. They are near Dallas. WE HAVE NOT CLOSED THIS DEAL YET, but I have paper work that looks legit and am working with an assistant manager. I'm waiting on car to come in and I have assurances they will not slap their usual $1,800 package of dealer options on this car. However, there is still some risk and I will update this post as things progress.

2018 EX-L with Honda Sense
FWD
Sensing Option

MSRP inc delivery: $38,735
Price Paid before extras: $35,200
Dealer fitted extras: $0
Tax: $2,200
Title and other fees: $180 Doc Fee + $266.91 (non-tax items).
Total: $37,846.91

Dealer listed the discount from MSRP as $3535
Foos who is your AM there? I am dealing with them and the few 2017 Pilots on the lot and they were not getting below 8% with me and I see you here with 9.1% off of MSRP... Nicely done and good luck closing the deal. I don't see how they don't add on their options but if they told you otherwise I am sure they will be honest.

1 - 20 of 513 Posts