Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 hrv with 91k I’m the orginal
Owner.
Looking at a 2018 Pilot Exl and my trade.

I’m looking at $24,700 out the door for the Pilot with my trade in.

Is this good or no. Houston Tx location

·
Registered
813 Posts
How much are they giving you for your trade in? I think it’s a good price as long as there’s no issues. Also is it the normal EX-L or does it have any of the extra features (such as Honda sensing, RES, or navigation)?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I have a 2016 hrv with 91k I’m the orginal
Owner.
Looking at a 2018 Pilot Exl and my trade.

I’m looking at $24,700 out the door for the Pilot with my trade in.

Is this good or no. Houston Tx location
What's the milage on the 2018 Pilot?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it’s just a exl, there giving me 9k for my trade in I owe $5600,

my hrv is worth 10-10500 private party I’m pretty sure

·
Registered
813 Posts
Anything I should make sure to check when checking the pilot out? Becides the obvious
Motor mounts are an issue, but I’m not too sure if it’s an issue on the 2018’s. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but there is a way that you can check how to do it.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
To check front and back engine mounts, with your left foot on the brake firmly (do not release), begin raising the rpms with your right foot. If you hear knock knock knock..., then you have a bad engine mount. The same test can be done in reverse.
Another thing I'd check is the transmission. When on the highway, activate the cruise control. Watch the rpm gauge for any erratic behavior. If it's fluctuating, it's slipping. I'd also take a white cloth and check the quality of the transmission fluid. Is it bright red? If it's black, walk away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To check front and back engine mounts, with your left foot on the brake firmly (do not release), begin raising the rpms with your right foot. If you hear knock knock knock..., then you have a bad engine mount. The same test can be done in reverse.
Another thing I'd check is the transmission. When on the highway, activate the cruise control. Watch the rpm gauge for any erratic behavior. If it's fluctuating, it's slipping. I'd also take a white cloth and check the quality of the transmission fluid. Is it bright red? If it's black, walk away.
I tested all that and it was great like new

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
Congrats! Any car with less than 100,000 miles I buy without a pre purchase inspection. As long as they've gotten frequent oil changes, there's not much else that could be bad within that mileage. If I were super nit picky I could talk myself out of every car I've ever looked at. With only 52,000 miles the Pilot is just broken in. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Any car with less than 100,000 miles I buy without a pre purchase inspection. As long as they've gotten frequent oil changes, there's not much else that could be bad within that mileage.
Regardless of the vehicle's age?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
Regardless of the vehicle's age?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't feel the need to pay a mechanic to tell me that the motor mounts are bad or some of the suspension parts are worn out. None of that (of course there are exceptions) make the car undriveable. Old fluids (coolant, brake, transmission) aren't ideal but I can change that myself. I choose to do timing belt based on mileage alone--This is a decision I've made based on research and my personal risk tolerance.

I guess buying a used car is all about risk tolerance and I tend towards being willing to take more risk.It certainly isn't for everyone, but I haven't been burned yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts