Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were driving around locally (mid north central florida, Marion county) looking at outdoor Xmas decor, lights. And it seemed to wife and I both that the headlights on our pilot could stand to have better headlights. ?. I went by Autozone and they.checked the battery and charging and both were in spec.
Are we imaging things or does the care just generally have dim lights? Maybe we should be looking at after-market options!
TIA

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
You could be like many and be able to look up the but of a bumble bee 3 miles ahead of you, while it blinds the oncoming traffic or people looking in the mirror when it's on Low beams.

IMHO- The OEM headlights on our 08, and out 15 are fine. YMMV

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are both seniors, 60s and 70s, and I know vision gets dim and we have less night sensitivity. But wonder if Honda might have reduced lamp brightness.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
We were driving around locally (mid north central florida, Marion county) looking at outdoor Xmas decor, lights. And it seemed to wife and I both that the headlights on our pilot could stand to have better headlights. ?.
Are we imaging things or does the care just generally have dim lights? Maybe we should be looking at after-market options!
If you have anything other than an Elite trim level Pilot, the IIHS rates the headlight performance as "poor".
2018 Honda Pilot 4-door SUV

You might want to have your lights checked to make sure that they are aimed properly.

For good headlight performance, look at vehicles (and trim levels) that have received a "top safety pick plus from the IIHS.
2020 IIHS Top Safety Picks
Perhaps you could arrange a nighttime test drive of one of those vehicles to see if the headlight performance offers any improvement compared to your Pilot.

Changing to LED type bulbs might give you more light output.

Also, look at youtube test drive videos by Chad Haire. He takes the vehicles out at night and shines the headlights on a wall to give some sense of their performance. Some are obviously better than others.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
"Automatic high beams will also spread from the Elite to standard on all trims. Low-beam headlights will switch to standard LEDs on all trims, an expansion from the LEDs found only on the Elite trim in 2018. The Elite will also receive LED high beams"

What year and trim? Maybe it's a bulb thing too. different trims in some years had different bulbs too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2018 Pilot, front wheel drive, no navigation. LX (?).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the Pilot by an Autozone expecting to buy a new battery and/or a reman alternator. Nope. Everything checked out by the Numbers. Hmm.
Yesterday on the road about 7 PM my wife remarked on how dim and yellow the Honda's lights were compared to a Camry next to us.
It's possible the Camry had after market lights but I guess I'm going shopping for drop-in and better.
So what's available for the Pilot?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Although not a fan of LEDs for the many years it has taken them to catch up, as well as for the oftentimes amateur, poorly aimed installation, I've just recently decided the time has come to try some out, thanks to some prodding along from this forum. The jury is still out on whether I can get my Canadian spec DRLs back with a little add-on that's in transit to me as we speak, but in terms of brightness (and aim and cutoff) I've been significantly impressed by these.

Tip of the hat to @PLT383 for a handy... tip.

Need to replace headlights, want to go LED

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Although not a fan of LEDs for the many years it has taken them to catch up, as well as for the oftentimes amateur, poorly aimed installation, I've just recently decided the time has come to try some out, thanks to some prodding along from this forum. The jury is still out on whether I can get my Canadian spec DRLs back with a little add-on that's in transit to me as we speak, but in terms of brightness (and aim and cutoff) I've been significantly impressed by these.

Tip of the hat to @PLT383 for a handy... tip. View attachment 145095

Need to replace headlights, want to go LED
I realize this is a fine time to tell you this, but make sure you mount the peripheral boxes to metal, be it body sheet metal, radiator brace, or whatever.

Also, keep an eye on the fans as they will eventually a) clog up with dust, dirt, belt grinding grime, and other usual under hood oil crap, and b) that one or both haven't slowed down or run intermittently or stopped. I don't know if Fahren uses ball or sleeve bearing fans, but either way I've haven't run across any plastic fans that last "forever" which is pretty much how many hours most leds are advertised to last.

Two discriminators for my choosing the BeamTechs even though competitors offered more lumens and longer life, were no fans and no ballasts. The 8000 lumens is more than enough and I and the Pilot won't live long enough to outlast a 50k hour bulb since I don't drive at night much. The DRLs running at a lower voltage should outlast the planet.

Hopefully the resistor/capacitor thingies will get you back your DRLs. Let us know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts