Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to double check all my towing specs on a 2018 Pilot, AWD EX-L w/Honda Sensing. The data I can find is the following. Curb Weight = 4288 (from the Honda Website for this vehicle), GVWR = 5842 (from the Owners Manual), Cargo Capacity = 1340 (from the yellow sticker inside the drivers door). If I simply subtract Curb Weight from GVWR I get 5842-4288 = 1554 which I would think would be the Cargo Capacity. This is 214 lbs higher than what is specified on the yellow sticker (1340). From what I understand the Curb Weight is supposed to include all of the fluids and a full tank of gas. Even an empty tank of gas does not account for the 214 lb difference since the vehicle holds 19.5 gallons @6.2 lbs/gal = 120.9 lbs of fuel.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong here? The bottom line is I am not sure if I should use the 1340 lb cargo capacity that is on the sticker or the GVWR-Curb Weight which would allow 214 lbs more of cargo. Since 214 lbs is about 16% more cargo this is not a trivial difference. TIA

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Was the tow hitch an addition?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tow hitch was added by the dealer after the vehicle was received from the factory. I thought about the possibility that the dealer would change the cargo capacity on the yellow sticker after installing the tow hitch, but the same cargo capacity is listed in the manual I believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can only seem to find through 2009 on this site. I found the GVWR in my manual. Do you think that might be incorrect?

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
Did you read the entire article? "It's important to understand that a vehicle's GVWR is not a measurement of how much a vehicle actually weighs."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you read the entire article? "It's important to understand that a vehicle's GVWR is not a measurement of how much a vehicle actually weighs."

I read through it and understand what GVWR is. I know I cannot exceed that for the total weight of the vehicle and cargo. Since I do not have the ability to weight the total vehicle with all the cargo, I am trying to weigh all my cargo that will be int the vehicle. My problem is that I get 2 different cargo capacities depending on what numbers I use. 1340 on the sticker, but 1554 if I subtract the specified Curb Weight from the specified GVWR. Not sure why they are not the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
They are not the same because the GVWR is a ratio, not an exact physical weight of the vehicle. The GVW and the GVWR are not the same thing. I would be surprised if you live somewhere that does not have a public scale of some kind. In and around a city or large town you will find one that truckers use. In rural areas the local co-op. Not a good time right now to go to the co-op, its harvest season here. Type in Public Scales and where you live and I will bet that you will find one. It may cost a couple of bucks or so but you can get your weight since you know the curb weight.

Honda gives you good information for towing including cargo capacity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are not the same because the GVWR is a ratio, not an exact physical weight of the vehicle. The GVW and the GVWR are not the same thing. I would be surprised if you live somewhere that does not have a public scale of some kind. In and around a city or large town you will find one that truckers use. In rural areas the local co-op. Not a good time right now to go to the co-op, its harvest season here. Type in Public Scales and where you live and I will bet that you will find one. It may cost a couple of bucks or so but you can get your weight since you know the curb weight.

Honda gives you good information for towing including cargo capacity.
View attachment 137636 View attachment 137637 View attachment 137638 View attachment 137639 View attachment 137640 View attachment 137641 View attachment 137642 View attachment 137643 View attachment 137644 View attachment 137645
Per Honda GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight RATING, not RATIO. It is the maximum amount the vehicle and all the cargo combined are allowed to weigh

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
You are overthinking the whole process.

"Curb weight also known as “kerb weight” in British English is defined as the total weight of a vehicle including all factory-installed equipment, all essential consumables for operation like coolant oil, motor oil, air conditioning refrigerant, transmission oil, a 90% full fuel tank and not including any passengers or cargo. This is the actual weight of a vehicle assigned by its manufacturer.

If you read more from other car magazines, you can see that the above definition may differ a little bit from the definitions of others. Yes, it is true. According government regulatory agencies like European Union, besides all things mentioned above, curb weight also contains the weight of a 75-kg (165 Ib) driver in order to follow European Directive 95/48/EC. Many organizations often define curb weight with other variables and fixed levels of engine oil and fuel to equalize the value for the comparison of different vehicles."

The most important thing to know if you are towing is the stated GVWR: It's in the manual along with the basic calculations used for passengers and cargo. It also explains to adjust passenger and cargo weights based on your situation.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Please post the sticker from your B pillar that shows the payload for your car.

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
Which is only 20# more than Honda's estimate weights of 150#'s per person and 15#'s cargo per person. A little leeway for those who might weight more than 150#'s or may pack more than 15#'s of cargo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts