Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
2018 Honda Pilot vibrations continue ! Argghhh ! - Problem FIXED !

disregard it was a nail in the tire.

FYI Willpilot....
You may have edited your original post, but that doesn't delete anyone's post that quoted yours....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Seems to be really strange. With my 2016 I never felt any vibrations at any speed and did not have any idea when VCM was on or off. What I went by when installing the red resister was the coolant temp which I read off of my scanner. I run a temp of 162 or 163 with the red resister, so figure my VCM will not come on. I started with the brown but temp was always over 167 so that is why I went to the red. Maybe you have something else going on.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry for your issues. I don't notice anything like that in my 2016 with over 63,000 km. Never noticed VCM in action from day one, good or bad, it's always smooth like a baby...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can definitely feel it on my 2018 from the very beginning as well, but it's more at low speed. it almost feels like hard transmission shifting, (or could be that).
Wanted to try the VCM-disabler, but seeing the feedback, I am now hesitated.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I can definitely feel it on my 2018 from the very beginning as well, but it's more at low speed. it almost feels like hard transmission shifting, (or could be that).
I believe (or hope) what you experienced is the transmission behaviour, not the VCM. I have noticed that at certain low speed situations too, very mild clunk, or unsmooth shiftings, most likely when I slowed down to almot a complete stop but then noticed the car in front started moving, I started accelerating, at this point, it happened.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Don't waste your money. I tried both VCMuzzler and S-VCM controller and they both do nothing. It's gotten worse I think. I plan to have it checked by 2 master Honda mechanics next week at 2 different locations to see what they come up with.

Just curious has anybody else gotten an answer to this loud humming, vibration issue? Is it's not the VCM what in the world can it be? I dying to know what's the actual problem. Wondering if this is exclusive to 2018 EX-L models ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't waste your money. I tried both VCMuzzler and S-VCM controller and they both do nothing. It's gotten worse I think. I plan to have it checked by 2 master Honda mechanics next week at 2 different locations to see what they come up with.

Just curious has anybody else gotten an answer to this loud humming, vibration issue? Is it's not the VCM what in the world can it be? I dying to know what's the actual problem. Wondering if this is exclusive to 2018 EX-L models ?

Both VCM disable products work fine. You may have something else other than VCM causing the problem.

Might have the dealer check for TSB 17-014 'Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch." Applies to the 2016 + 2017, maybe includes your 2018?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Both VCM disable products work fine. You may have something else other than VCM causing the problem.

Might have the dealer check for TSB 17-014 'Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch." Applies to the 2016 + 2017, maybe includes your 2018?

Thanks a lot for the heads up; I think I'll bring this PDF file along just in case. The sound is getting louder too.

Guess Hondas' aren' built like they used to ? :|

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vibrations from tires out of balance usually appear around 55 mph so if this is when you are experiencing the issue then you may want to get the tires checked out. I have not noticed any vibrations in my 2017.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vibrations from tires out of balance usually appear around 55 mph so if this is when you are experiencing the issue then you may want to get the tires checked out. I have not noticed any vibrations in my 2017.
I'm almost positive it's not the tires; I've had unbalanced tire/s on different vehicles so know what that feels llke . Purchased brand new with 0 miles so know the history of this vehicle and never had any issues with the tires and/or rims.

Mt Man speculations sounds at this point more like what may be happening. Sound/vibration/humming is coming from the front/center/tranny area of the Pilot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm almost positive it's not the tires; I've had unbalanced tire/s on different vehicles so know what that feels llke . Purchased brand new with 0 miles so know the history of this vehicle and never had any issues with the tires and/or rims.

Mt Man speculations sounds at this point more like what may be happening. Sound/vibration/humming is coming from the front/center/tranny area of the Pilot.
Weight could have fallen off? Drive shaft bent? I had a tire go bad once, drove me mad and I didn't believe service advisor when he said that was the problem. New tires fixed it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weight could have fallen off? Drive shaft bent? I had a tire go bad once, drove me mad and I didn't believe service advisor when he said that was the problem. New tires fixed it.
Fairly new Tires that have only 14k miles on them?

I have Honda tech/service appointments scheduled for this week and next so we shall see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unless what you're hearing and feeling has absolutely nothing to do with VCM.
Leaning towards that not being the issue at this point. As I'd mentioned previously, tried to different devices to resolve the VCM issue but did absolutely nothing. I also accelerated when the vibration started and it did not go away as I've heard should happen once you've accelerated.

I'm kicking myself for not coming on here (I should know better) before making the purchase. I've owned several Honda's before and I've never experienced this kind of problem with any of them especially brand new. Didn't think I'd be at a service station not even 6 months after buying a new car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Leaning towards that not being the issue at this point. As I'd mentioned previously, tried to different devices to resolve the VCM issue but did absolutely nothing. I also accelerated when the vibration started and it did not go away as I've heard should happen once you've accelerated.
From what you described (accelerated when the vibration started and it did not go away), it's not VCM. My micro vibrations went away as soon as I pressed gas pedal.

Also, from your video, your VCMMuzzler didn't work as temp needle is in the place as no VCMuzzler. My needle is much lower (I use VCM Tuner and it fixed my EXL AWD Pilot's micro-vibrations when cruising).

Hope your dealer finds the cause soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what you described (accelerated when the vibration started and it did not go away), it's not VCM. My micro vibrations went away as soon as I pressed gas pedal.
Yes I agree, it isn't the VCM.

If they, Honda can fix the issue or tell me "there's nothing wrong, the car is running wonderfully", I'm going to get rid of the car. I'll pick up another SUV but plan to do some homework before pulling the trigger.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts