Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions regarding the fluid change in the 6 speed. Does anyone have a step by step document that shows the steps needed. Is there a required torque on the drain bolt. I changed the transmission fluid in my 2016 accord so I have some experience on changing the fluid. I am mainly looking for I formation on shiting gears and cycling it thru the system as well as if there are any other bolts to check the level other than dipstick.

Thank you

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a few questions regarding the fluid change in the 6 speed. Does anyone have a step by step document that shows the steps needed. Is there a required torque on the drain bolt. I changed the transmission fluid in my 2016 accord so I have some experience on changing the fluid. I am mainly looking for I formation on shiting gears and cycling it thru the system as well as if there are any other bolts to check the level other than dipstick.

Thank you
Brake the drain bolt loose, unscrew, drain, wipe the magnet off, put it all back, measure amount if fluid drained, pull the dipstick out, stick the long neck funnel in, fill with the same amount of fluid, go around your day.

One advice: leave the car flat and drain it cold (after sitting overnight) so you won’t have to mess with the level (amount drained equals amount filled). Torque is 32 pounds i believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
One advice: leave the car flat and drain it cold (after sitting overnight) so you won’t have to mess with the level (amount drained equals amount filled). Torque is 32 pounds i believe
I like to do that on vehicles that don't have a drain plug and require a pan drop. On vehicles that have a drain bolt (like our Pilot and Traverse) I like to drain them at operating temp to ensure as much material is suspended in the fluid as possible. I let it sit for a couple hours draining so the fluid gets to room temperature for any measurements.

Also, I prefer to go by the numbers provided by a factory service manual or other regarding drain and fill quantity. I use the amount drained as a check but I've seen many instances on forums of the factory over or underfilling a transmission.One of those "more you know" kind of things that helps drive the decision for how much to put in. I usually start about .5 quarts lower than I think the level should be and add as needed until I am satisfied.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is there any way to empty the whole transmission in one go, instead of draining and filling three times to swap out most of the old transmission fluid?
It seems a big waste of good fluid to drain and fill three times :(.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Is there any way to empty the whole transmission in one go, instead of draining and filling three times to swap out most of the old transmission fluid?
It seems a big waste of good fluid to drain and fill three times :(.
Read my post, post #3.

Correction: Turns our that was a DIFFERENT transmission fluid thread...

You can remove the supply and return lines from the transmission fluid cooler, hook up a rubber hose to each and put the return (suction) in a tub filled with 3-5 quarts more than the transmission capacity and the supply in an empty tub. Start the vehicle and let it exchange fluid until you are getting new fluid out of the supply line. Put everything back together, check the level and top off/suck out fluid as needed to get the level correct.

There are plenty of videos online showing this procedure, it can be a little bit of a pain the first time you do it but it's really not that difficult. The only additional item is you still want to drop the pan (on appropriate vehicles) so you can clean the magnet (ours is on the drain plug, so you still need to remove it) and replace the filter when it is serviceable (again, not on Pilots).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Read my post, post #3.

Correction: Turns our that was a DIFFERENT transmission fluid thread...

You can remove the supply and return lines from the transmission fluid cooler, hook up a rubber hose to each and put the return (suction) in a tub filled with 3-5 quarts more than the transmission capacity and the supply in an empty tub. Start the vehicle and let it exchange fluid until you are getting new fluid out of the supply line. Put everything back together, check the level and top off/suck out fluid as needed to get the level correct.

There are plenty of videos online showing this procedure, it can be a little bit of a pain the first time you do it but it's really not that difficult. The only additional item is you still want to drop the pan (on appropriate vehicles) so you can clean the magnet (ours is on the drain plug, so you still need to remove it) and replace the filter when it is serviceable (again, not on Pilots).
Is there a fluid cooler on the 3rd generation Plot with the 6 speed? I was under the impression that it's an option to have a cooler mounted if you want to toe more weight, but that it's not included from the factory.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Is there a fluid cooler on the 3rd generation Plot with the 6 speed? I was under the impression that it's an option to have a cooler mounted if you want to toe more weight, but that it's not included from the factory.
I believe it is optional. But to install the cooler there must be ports on the transmission that could be used for what I describe, you just may need a little more exotic rig than a rubber hose.

Reactions: Steffo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts