Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions regarding the fluid change in the 6 speed. Does anyone have a step by step document that shows the steps needed. Is there a required torque on the drain bolt. I changed the transmission fluid in my 2016 accord so I have some experience on changing the fluid. I am mainly looking for I formation on shiting gears and cycling it thru the system as well as if there are any other bolts to check the level other than dipstick.

Thank you

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a few questions regarding the fluid change in the 6 speed. Does anyone have a step by step document that shows the steps needed. Is there a required torque on the drain bolt. I changed the transmission fluid in my 2016 accord so I have some experience on changing the fluid. I am mainly looking for I formation on shiting gears and cycling it thru the system as well as if there are any other bolts to check the level other than dipstick.

Thank you
Brake the drain bolt loose, unscrew, drain, wipe the magnet off, put it all back, measure amount if fluid drained, pull the dipstick out, stick the long neck funnel in, fill with the same amount of fluid, go around your day.

One advice: leave the car flat and drain it cold (after sitting overnight) so you won’t have to mess with the level (amount drained equals amount filled). Torque is 32 pounds i believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
One advice: leave the car flat and drain it cold (after sitting overnight) so you won’t have to mess with the level (amount drained equals amount filled). Torque is 32 pounds i believe
I like to do that on vehicles that don't have a drain plug and require a pan drop. On vehicles that have a drain bolt (like our Pilot and Traverse) I like to drain them at operating temp to ensure as much material is suspended in the fluid as possible. I let it sit for a couple hours draining so the fluid gets to room temperature for any measurements.

Also, I prefer to go by the numbers provided by a factory service manual or other regarding drain and fill quantity. I use the amount drained as a check but I've seen many instances on forums of the factory over or underfilling a transmission.One of those "more you know" kind of things that helps drive the decision for how much to put in. I usually start about .5 quarts lower than I think the level should be and add as needed until I am satisfied.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is there any way to empty the whole transmission in one go, instead of draining and filling three times to swap out most of the old transmission fluid?
It seems a big waste of good fluid to drain and fill three times :(.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Is there any way to empty the whole transmission in one go, instead of draining and filling three times to swap out most of the old transmission fluid?
It seems a big waste of good fluid to drain and fill three times :(.
Read my post, post #3.

Correction: Turns our that was a DIFFERENT transmission fluid thread...

You can remove the supply and return lines from the transmission fluid cooler, hook up a rubber hose to each and put the return (suction) in a tub filled with 3-5 quarts more than the transmission capacity and the supply in an empty tub. Start the vehicle and let it exchange fluid until you are getting new fluid out of the supply line. Put everything back together, check the level and top off/suck out fluid as needed to get the level correct.

There are plenty of videos online showing this procedure, it can be a little bit of a pain the first time you do it but it's really not that difficult. The only additional item is you still want to drop the pan (on appropriate vehicles) so you can clean the magnet (ours is on the drain plug, so you still need to remove it) and replace the filter when it is serviceable (again, not on Pilots).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Read my post, post #3.

Correction: Turns our that was a DIFFERENT transmission fluid thread...

You can remove the supply and return lines from the transmission fluid cooler, hook up a rubber hose to each and put the return (suction) in a tub filled with 3-5 quarts more than the transmission capacity and the supply in an empty tub. Start the vehicle and let it exchange fluid until you are getting new fluid out of the supply line. Put everything back together, check the level and top off/suck out fluid as needed to get the level correct.

There are plenty of videos online showing this procedure, it can be a little bit of a pain the first time you do it but it's really not that difficult. The only additional item is you still want to drop the pan (on appropriate vehicles) so you can clean the magnet (ours is on the drain plug, so you still need to remove it) and replace the filter when it is serviceable (again, not on Pilots).
Is there a fluid cooler on the 3rd generation Plot with the 6 speed? I was under the impression that it's an option to have a cooler mounted if you want to toe more weight, but that it's not included from the factory.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Is there a fluid cooler on the 3rd generation Plot with the 6 speed? I was under the impression that it's an option to have a cooler mounted if you want to toe more weight, but that it's not included from the factory.
I believe it is optional. But to install the cooler there must be ports on the transmission that could be used for what I describe, you just may need a little more exotic rig than a rubber hose.

Reactions: Steffo

·
Registered
2019 EX AWD
65 Posts
In step 8. ATF-Refill 3.3 US qt is added and COLD (no warming up, going thru the gears etc.) atf is checked using dipstick with HOT stamped between A an B points. I do not get it.

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
In step 8. ATF-Refill 3.3 US qt is added and COLD (no warming up, going thru the gears etc.) atf is checked using dipstick with HOT stamped between A an B points. I do not get it.
After refilling ATF, drive until the engine is warmed to operating temperature. Turn off vehicle, pop the hood, and check level quickly for the most accurate reading, before all the fluid drains out of the transmission back into the pan. Add fluid as needed. Be mindful that the EGR pipe will let you know it's there, lol. I use my right hand. The top radiator hose is a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here you go!

As I scrolled through the procedure for ATF change;
Step 4. Air intake - Remove,........................(I think I know what they're thinking but is it necessary?)
Step 5. Air Cleaner - Remove,.....................(Why? and is it necessary?)
Step 6. Intake Air Duct Remove- Disconnect Breather Pipe,....................(Jeeze, why? and what if you do not remove it?)

And from watching YouTube video outlining the ATF change procedure video producers say, after the ATF change you drain the new fluid a least once if the fluid is not new looking/"Pink." I do understand what this is necessary but I would like some feedback from Piloteers who have done the procedure.

Thank you,

·
Registered
121 Posts
As I scrolled through the procedure for ATF change;
Step 4. Air intake - Remove,........................(I think I know what they're thinking but is it necessary?)
Step 5. Air Cleaner - Remove,.....................(Why? and is it necessary?)
Step 6. Intake Air Duct Remove- Disconnect Breather Pipe,....................(Jeeze, why? and what if you do not remove it?)

And from watching YouTube video outlining the ATF change procedure video producers say, after the ATF change you drain the new fluid a least once if the fluid is not new looking/"Pink." I do understand what this is necessary but I would like some feedback from Piloteers who have done the procedure.

Thank you,
You don’t need to remove anything if you refill through the dip stick tube. The manual reflects refilling through the fill bolt on the top of the transmission. Just drain it and refill with same amount that comes out. The transmission holds about 9 quarts, but only about 3.5 quarts come out when you drain it. If the fluid is looking very dirty and it’s been a while since it’s been changed, then after you fill it, drive the car, use all the gears, then do a second drain. Typically, it takes three drain and fills to change it all out.

if you do a drain and fill every 15k miles, starting at 30, that’s all you really need to do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just as was said above. Just drain,clean the crap off of your drain plug, and refill thru the dipstick with a long skinny funnel or "funny pipe" which is what I use. I did mine today. Refilled with Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
650 Posts
Not to throw a wrench into the discussion but no one has mentioned the transmission filter.
Honda Part No.:25430-PLR-003

Has anyone changed the filter along with the transmission fluid service?

Thanks
Yup and swapped it out for a Magnefine instead. Same filter is used on many Honda vehicles. My old '04 CRV had that, it wasn't changed before being handed to my son. It started leaking because it rusted through 13-14 years and 230k into it's life. My daughters '08 209k CRV has the same filter also, I replaced that with a Magnefine. Factory one was changed couple times, I had to buy a new mount as it was rusting off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Okay, here's one for you fellas:
I changed the ATF on my 2017 EX-L. It went smooth as silk,....

I measured the exact amount of ATF that came out from all three drains. 4 quarts 8 ounces. (of course not accounting for the residue left in the drain pan.)

I put precisely 4 quarts 8 ounces back. I got the motor pretty warm and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. The vehicle of level and I waited about 10-15 minutes to check the level.

Admittedly it is fairly challenging to know the level for sure I do believe that the level is high. In my defense I do think that Honda could do a better job on placement and design, specifically the curvature of the tube that the level check stick sits in ensuring that a more accurate reading is given.

Perhaps I let it sit too long after getting it hot enough that the fan started?

On one hand I am positive that I put in the precise amount that I took out. (I figured that the reason that I get slightly more out than others is because I jacked the vehicle up and places jack stands under the front jack stand reinforcements?)

I'm due to take another 1200 miles trip this coming Saturday. Obviously I don't want to damage the transmission,...

Thoughts?

Thanks fellas,

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
Your likely overfilled 1 to 1.3 quarts. I'd remove at least 1 quart.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts