Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Have you had a 6 speed transmission problem? If so was it repaired? If so how?

• I have had a problem

• Yes it was repaired

• Reprogramming the TCM

• Fluid change or multiple fluid drain and fill

• Replaced components (Sensors, solenoids, valve body, TCM etc.)

• Transmission was replaced

• Yes it was repaired by some other method

• No the problem was not repaired

• Drained DW-1 fluid, switched to another brand solved the problem

• Drained DW-1 fluid, switched to another brand, DID NOT solve the problem

Results are only viewable after voting.
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Back up and running, as promised.

No obvious exterior evidence or defects on the old transmission. The TC doesn't look burnt or overheated, maybe somebody who knows more might see it differently. The only thing that I saw was some minor corrosion on the trans case mating surface . maybe dissimilar metal? aluminum case steel bolts and dowels. I've seen more crud on some peoples glove boxes.

Obviously didn't get a look inside anything.

I'll never know why, this low mileage transmission failed.
old trans tc.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
With the Gen 2 Ridgeline that also has the 6-spd Auto, there has been only two or three documented failures with the transmission and one involved while towing a trailer.
Make that four. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is it plausable that the VCM had anything to do with your failure? The erratic behavior of the drivetrain caused by VCM may have caused the gear to constantly engauge a disengage, wearing it out.
S-VCM has made my Pilot a different vehicle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
It is plausible, but we are the second owners and I never noticed any shifting irregularities, my wife said she didnt notice anything either.

The issue that caused me to pull the plug and replace the transmission was several instances of the trans not going in to 5th gear at all. Literally,3-5secs of free revving then letting the engine idle while the car decelerated followed by pressing on the accelerator to bring the rpm back up and not having 5th gear at all. Then all of a sudden, klunk, it went into gear.

It did that a couple times intermittently as well as the shift flair, during the short period after replacing the secondary valve body. If it would have shown some improvement, I would've pulled the plug on the transmission swap and driven it a while longer to see what happened.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts