Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I may be soon joining your band, but wanted to run it past this crew and get your seasoned opinion.

I'm looking to get a new car with a growing family and a Pilot is high on my list. I've narrowed it down to a used 2018 Elite with under 15k miles for 37K out the door.

My draws to the elite were: AWD, Cpt Chairs, Leather Interior.

Question to you guys, is this a good price, and do you think I can get the above 3 requirements in a new pilot for slightly more? My understanding is that to get the 3 requirements I need to go with a Touring Trim (45k MSRP) at minimum.

I don't mind paying a little bit more for the warranty the new rig would come with but I have a limit of how much more I'd want to pay....maybe 40k tops out the door. Is that feasible or should I lock in that Elite now and end this madness?

·
Registered
402 Posts
You're correct in that you'd have to get a Touring trim to get 2nd row captain's chairs. 37K does seem high to me though, especially since it's going to be (I assume) out of warranty. If you're thinking "Hondas are super reliable so it's worth it to pay a bit more to get the good brand, even if there is no warranty" then I'm sorry to say that the current crop of Hondas have let the brand down when it comes to reliability. The Pilot isn't awful, but in my opinion it's not worth the "Honda premium" cost that the brand commanded 10 years ago.

If you're open to other brands then I would definitely consider then, since a lot of other unibody SUVs don't restrict 2nd row captains chairs to their highest trim levels (Pallisade, Telluride, Durango, etc.). If AWD, captains chairs, and leather are your top priorities then I think you can do better than a 3-year old vehicle for $37k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, it is out of warranty.

I did the Telluride and Pallisade route and I really liked them, but they're charging $5k on top of the MSRP with zero wiggle room. I'd be looking at mid 40k MSRP + taxes + 5k markup , so easily a $10k difference.

I'm very open to other brands, having a tough time hitting my 3 requirements...at only 12k miles I'm thinking this is about as near new I can find a car that has already had a good chunk of depreciation hit it.

Appreciate the feedback, this has been a long journey and I think I might be throwing the towel in and going with the brand I currently drive, Honda. Really bummed to hear the brand hasn't lived up to their bulletproof rep of old.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
I'm looking to get a new car with a growing family and a Pilot is high on my list. I've narrowed it down to a used 2018 Elite with under 15k miles for 37K out the door.
My draws to the elite were: AWD, Cpt Chairs, Leather Interior.
Question to you guys, is this a good price, and do you think I can get the above 3 requirements in a new pilot for slightly more? My understanding is that to get the 3 requirements I need to go with a Touring Trim (45k MSRP) at minimum.
I don't mind paying a little bit more for the warranty the new rig would come with but I have a limit of how much more I'd want to pay....maybe 40k tops out the door. Is that feasible or should I lock in that Elite now and end this madness?
Have you looked for a new leftover 2020 Touring Pilot - even if you have to travel some distance to buy it?
That would give you a new vehicle warranty and probably greater negotiability on the price than a 2021 model.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should be able to get a 2021 touring awd for around 38,000 depending on where you live. I would chose to get a new vehicle at least it comes with a 3/36k warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts

No idea your zip code but cargurus will give you an idea of whether it's a decent deal or not.

In my quick search, you can find a 2019 for that price. '19 has software and hardware upgrades in the transmission.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot Elite
10 Posts
I just picked up a 2018 Honda Pilot elite AWD with the captains chairs. 23k miles I negotiated from 38 to 33k before trade in. I bought mine CPO with still the balance of the factory warranty. No regrets here.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I wouldn't pay 38k for a used vehicle. But I might not be the right guy to ask. :p

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
I wouldn't pay 38k for a used vehicle. But I might not be the right guy to ask. :p
Ditto.
Unless of course, it's a midlife crisis kind of thing. And the Pilot is not a midlife crisis worthy unless you're converting it into the bangbus....

Excuse me while I go look at Nissan NV200s.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Ditto.
Excuse me while I go look at Nissan NV200s.
🤦‍♂️
I do not recommend NV200. 1 pot hole cost me $2000 in damage. Fixed and sold to cut our losses.
Now the NV3500 is the full size. Very well built.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is all great feedback, and let me layout my thinking and for some of you who have not shopped this segment in the past year it may help shed some light on what the market is like if you have: AWD/Leather/Cpt Chairs:

Buying New vs. Used: The gap in price I would have expected to be larger, and for the Kia/Hyundai models after factoring in the 5k soak dealers add - actually becomes a real. A mid level Kia/Hyundai is about 45k or more OTD. A $10k bump which is tough to swallow, especially if most of it is dealer add in I can't get out of.

Miles & Warranty: 100% wanted to get a warranty in a used purchase and when I ran into this 2018 w/15k on the motor I started to go down the path of "how unreliable can a modern car be after so few miles". Do I want to pay 2-5k for a warranty and a newer model with small improvements? If so, I can just buy aftermarket.

Old New Model: Grabbing a 2020 Touring new with Cpt chairs I think is a totally viable alternative. I'm exploring that now, it's really difficult to find one with the Cpt. chairs - but I'm still on the hunt.

General Feedback: If you have these 3 features in your Pilot, you picked the 3 that the market is most in demand of and depreciates the least. Couple that with low miles and you've preserved a lot of your cars value. Congrats!

My biggest takeaway from this group (aside from your thoughtful and appreciated responses THANK YOU) is the level of happiness with your Pilot is moderate. I was expecting a bit more folks to be pumped on the car similar to what I was feeling in the Telluride and Pallisade groups (those guys LOVE their car). This to me is the biggest red flag above all the areas above. I'm not saying you guys are down on your Pilot....just the level of joy is much paler compared to the two segments I looked at to learn more.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
This is all great feedback, and let me layout my thinking and for some of you who have not shopped this segment in the past year it may help shed some light on what the market is like if you have: AWD/Leather/Cpt Chairs:

Buying New vs. Used: The gap in price I would have expected to be larger, and for the Kia/Hyundai models after factoring in the 5k soak dealers add - actually becomes a real. A mid level Kia/Hyundai is about 45k or more OTD. A $10k bump which is tough to swallow, especially if most of it is dealer add in I can't get out of.

Miles & Warranty: 100% wanted to get a warranty in a used purchase and when I ran into this 2018 w/15k on the motor I started to go down the path of "how unreliable can a modern car be after so few miles". Do I want to pay 2-5k for a warranty and a newer model with small improvements? If so, I can just buy aftermarket.

Old New Model: Grabbing a 2020 Touring new with Cpt chairs I think is a totally viable alternative. I'm exploring that now, it's really difficult to find one with the Cpt. chairs - but I'm still on the hunt.

General Feedback: If you have these 3 features in your Pilot, you picked the 3 that the market is most in demand of and depreciates the least. Couple that with low miles and you've preserved a lot of your cars value. Congrats!

My biggest takeaway from this group (aside from your thoughtful and appreciated responses THANK YOU) is the level of happiness with your Pilot is moderate. I was expecting a bit more folks to be pumped on the car similar to what I was feeling in the Telluride and Pallisade groups (those guys LOVE their car). This to me is the biggest red flag above all the areas above. I'm not saying you guys are down on your Pilot....just the level of joy is much paler compared to the two segments I looked at to learn more.

Thanks!
We have had some problems with our 3rd generation Pilots. This is the reason I'd want a Honda care warranty if I were making the more than 30k investment. It does seem the problems on the 2020 2021s have been much less than previous years. The forum will likely have more folks with a few troubles than not. Really, if you own a trouble free Pilot, most could care less about expressing their love for the vehicle on a forum somewhere. Not trying to sell you, but you might look at how many Honda Pilots are on the road.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts

Thanks!
Give the Telluride and Palisades groups time. Eventually the Kia and Hyundai quality (or lack of) will shine through.

I've posted this before but if you keep those for 2-3 years you probably won't notice but if you plan to keep it mid-long term you'll notice stuff break / fade that shouldn't.... trim pieces, anything plastic and the paint.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Why not just go with a new Elite? They are discounting those pretty heavily + you're likely to get a better interest rate going new, plus full warranty, plus all the maintenance stuff will be new too - so no brake jobs, tires, whatever for a long time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I follow a forum which is basically car managers, finance people, and salesman where you can ask a question about car sales and related questions. For the past year the USED car market has been on an upward climb regarding higher prices. That is due in part to a shortage of used vehicles because of the current health issues, less people trading in because many are driving less miles due to working at home, and some new vehicle shortages because of production slow downs or even shut downs for a while. It is true that there are times you are better off purchasing new instead of used now because of the used car market prices.

The Telluride and Palisades are one of the models which are being under produced at the moment, and actually have been for over a year already. Dealers are getting very few in, and the demand has been high enough on the units they do get that those 4 and 5 thousand above MSRP are real at many locations.

If at all possible look into the new instead of used. Great deals are being had on new Pilots (check out the price paid topic on this board) and there are finance incentives also, depending on what part of the country you are in. A new Honda Care warranty good for 120000 miles, 96 months, and $0.00 deductible can be purchased on line from some dealers for under $1500.00. Unless you live in Florida where that is prohibited by state law. You may also be able to purchase the Honda Care for a used model depending on the miles, years in service, etc. Check with Hyannis, College Hills, or Saccucci for some price quotes and information regarding new and used vehicles. These are the main dealers usually mentioned for best online prices. I purchased mine from Hyannis but the others were within $100.00 at the time.

What's funny is that at the time I purchased my 2019 Pilot Touring new, finding one with bench seats was difficult. The captain chairs were prevalent and the bench seat option not on many dealers lots at the time. The dealership I purchased from had to dealer trade with a dealer who had one in stock.

Been somewhat pleased with the Pilot (only our second ever Honda product since a 2012 Acura MDX) but I don't think I would get another Pilot if I ever had to replace this one. Not at all pleased with the Honda quality regarding the poor navigation unit and voice commands (worst I have ever had in over 10 different vehicles), a 9 speed transmission which has performed pretty well but isn't DIY friendly to do a drain and fill on because of expensive special fluid needed and if done properly requires special procedures because of no dipstick to check the fluid level, (but can be done without using them) lack of a factory installed towing system which earlier generation models had available, and some other features and options lacking which are found on other makes. The adaptive cruise control is great if you are on the highway alone, but doesn't work below I believe 40 or 45 mph?

I don't blame you for not wanting to pay the premium on the Telluride and Palisades. If you don't need the extra room check into a Toyota Highlander Limited or above. There is even a hybrid model which I would have seriously considered if it was available when I bought the Pilot. We had a 2017 Highlander Limited (talk about difficulty finding a bench seat!!!) on a lease but at the time it didn't have Car Play or Retained accessory power, which were kind of a want on the replacement vehicle. They may now be available on the new Highlander but I'm not sure. Their top of the line Highlander Platinum does have the panoramic moonroof I believe instead of just the front moonroof the Limited have.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
2020 Hyundai Palisade Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2020 Kia Telluride Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
A new Honda Care warranty good for 120000 miles, 96 months, and $0.00 deductible can be purchased on line from some dealers for under $1500.00. Unless you live in Florida where that is prohibited by state law. You may also be able to purchase the Honda Care for a used model depending on the miles, years in service, etc. Check with Hyannis, College Hills, or Saccucci for some price quotes and information regarding new and used vehicles.
Great post but 1 error.

It's not against the law in Florida, that's dealer BS.
Many of us provided an address in another state and then "moved".
Search this forum for extended warranty in Florida for more details.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Great post but 1 error.

It's not against the law in Florida, that's dealer BS.
Many of us provided an address in another state and then "moved".
Search this forum for extended warranty in Florida for more details.
Well if it isn't a Florida law that the warranty can't be sold at different prices, why would you have had to provide an address in another state and then "move"? Perhaps I wasn't clear that you can buy a warranty in Florida at the regulated price only, but NOT a discounted one on line from any out of state seller.

Perhaps because Florida regulates the price of the warranty and everyone sells it for the same price?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts