Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2018 Steel Sapphire 2018 Pilot Elite with the 9-speed transmission. I recently had it in for a chirpy front motor mount under replaced under factory warranty. I got a 2019 Pilot Ex-l with the 6-speed transmission for a loaner while mine was getting fixed, and it has better takeoff power from a stop at only 2k rpm. My Pilot with the 9 speed takes off at 3-4 K rpm and I am hardly "getting on it".I sweat is is like driving a newer Crv with a CVT transmission. I am still under factory warranty, and am trying to see if anyone has had a software update due to a Tsb to resolve this issue? I traded in my 2014 Pilot Ex-l-Res in for this one which ran circles around this 2018. Once you get "up to speed" it drives great. Eco mode is OFF, and the auto engine shutoff is annoying. I am thinking about making a video with my Go-pro and approaching my dealer with it to see if they can help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello, I have a 2018 Steel Sapphire 2018 Pilot Elite with the 9-speed transmission. I recently had it in for a chirpy front motor mount under replaced under factory warranty. I got a 2019 Pilot Ex-l with the 6-speed transmission for a loaner while mine was getting fixed, and it has better takeoff power from a stop at only 2k rpm. My Pilot with the 9 speed takes off at 3-4 K rpm and I am hardly "getting on it".I sweat is is like driving a newer Crv with a CVT transmission. I am still under factory warranty, and am trying to see if anyone has had a software update due to a Tsb to resolve this issue? I traded in my 2014 Pilot Ex-l-Res in for this one which ran circles around this 2018. Once you get "up to speed" it drives great. Eco mode is OFF, and the auto engine shutoff is annoying. I am thinking about making a video with my Go-pro and approaching my dealer with it to see if they can help.
As I recall the 2019 model refresh brought some changes to the 9-speed transmission (including it starting in 2nd more often, along with some other tweaks/improvements). And of course there are certainly more differences between the 6-speed transmission used on EX-L and lower trims and the 9-speed transmission used in the Touring and higher trims.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to find owners who have the same 2018 Touring or Elite with the 9-speed transmission. What would be awesome is if I could find my local dealer with a used 2018 touring or Elite on their lot that I could test drive to compare. I am also trying to find a current owner who might have had a software update that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) shed light on this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Radioguru - Did you resolve the sluggish acceleration issue? I recently bought used 2018 Pilot Elite with about 25K miles and the initial acceleration (0mph to 25mph) is slow as hell with rpm going upwards of 2500-3000 and I see joggers on the side overtaking my Pilot. It drives well after hitting 40-45 mph. I disabled Eco but to no use. Thinking to switch to 93 grade gasoline to see if it helps. I feel like I'm driving a 2 cylinder go cart.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,668 Posts
Hence the reason dragsters have a two speed transmission. More speeds, smoother ride, less bottom end acceleration in automatic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not Taken my 2018 pilot Elite back to the dealer yet. There has to be an answer as it shouldn't take 3-4 thousand RPMs to get off a stop sign. My 2014 pilot would run circles around this thing. There HAS to be a TSB somewhere for a software update!

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Radioguru - Did you resolve the sluggish acceleration issue? I recently bought used 2018 Pilot Elite with about 25K miles and the initial acceleration (0mph to 25mph) is slow as hell with rpm going upwards of 2500-3000 and I see joggers on the side overtaking my Pilot. It drives well after hitting 40-45 mph. I disabled Eco but to no use. Thinking to switch to 93 grade gasoline to see if it helps. I feel like I'm driving a 2 cylinder go cart.
Ninety-three octane gas will do nothing, it has no more energy in it than regular grades. It's solely a knock suppressant to prevent preignition (knock) and may have more detergents in it. If an engine is mechanically sound and meant to use regular then using a premium grade is just wasting money.
Curious, if you stomped on the throttle from rest, what happens?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2018 elite w/ 9 speed. Could OP possibly have had eco mode turned on?

The long and short of it is that the 9 speed definitely does make the car faster. I think it was also selected to do 2 things: increase towing capacity and provide better gas mileage. Its 100% ok for a big heavy car to need 3-4k off the line in first gear. More gears to choose from is going to mean we will spend more time and higher RPM to make use of them...thats the entire point.

My garage queen has 300hp and torque and does a paltry 5.9 sec 0-60 with a 6 speed. The 2018 Elite AWD at 1.75x the weight is insanely quick at 6.2 seconds.

The 6 speed transmission probably feels very familiar to many drivers, and by all accounts here at piloteers, it was a beloved design. It would make sense that when one gets the opportunity to compare them, it feels better. I just want to point out that the 9 speed is great and if its not broken, it is 100% verifiably faster than a 2014. See here: Honda 0-60 Times & Honda Quarter Mile Times | Honda Civic, Accord, CR-V, Fit, Ridgeline, Pilot & more 0 to 60 stats!

·
Registered
576 Posts
The only time I'd go to 3-4k rpm was when I made the mistake of putting the car in econ mode. Also the thing where it starts off in 2nd gear came on the 2019 Pilot, so the 2018 should take off normally. Hopefully it can be solved from a software update if econ mode wasn't the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts