Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For owners of a 2018 or 2919 Pilot you might want to check out this NTSB Parts Recall on defective timing belts.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
So Honda uses Gates timing belts?
I thought Aisin was used.
No, I don't even think Aisin makes timing belts at all. The belts included in the Aisin timing belt kits are typically made by Mitsuboshi which is a very reputable belt manufacture.

The Honda OEM belts are made by Gates Unitta. The Unitta belts are Gates OEM offering and from what I can tell not available outside of Honda.

·
Registered
846 Posts
For owners of a 2018 or 2919 Pilot you might want to check out this NTSB Parts Recall on defective timing belts.
Here is a link to one of the original posts regarding the timing belt concern. It shows the TSB 19-045 which was issued 4-12-2019.

Timing Belt Inspection

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct. However if you are traveling down the highway and the infotainment system starts to crack and pop, that is an inconvenience. If you are traveling down the same highway and a faulty timing belt fails, that is a new engine.

Thought this might be of a recurring interest to people that come by here as it is a critical component being recalled.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Done with Gates. I will purge your garbage from my vehicles!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Done with Gates. I will purge your garbage from my vehicles!
View attachment 146629
I dunno - everyone has a bad run of something at some point. Overall the Gates Unitta belts have a very good reputation outside of this bad batch. If we were going to purge every manufacture who had significant issues I think we all would have been completely done with Honda by now.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno - everyone has a bad run of something at some point. Overall the Gates Unitta belts have a very good reputation outside of this bad batch. If we were going to purge every manufacture who had significant issues I think we all would have been completely done with Honda by now.
If we purge every manufacture who ever had significant issues this is what we would be driving.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
If we purge every manufacture who ever had significant issues this is what we would be driving.
Nope, there has been a large swing by Gates. Obviously outsourcing their production elsewhere and quality control has gone out the window.
Gates water pump gasket went flat causing a leak before 50k.

A Gates tensioner. Not putting this on my Honda V6.

Made in Mexico Gates serpentine belt with obvious signs of low quality showing after 50k.

I've seen enough to avoid their brand. In my opinion, they're not the company they used to be.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Nope, there has been a large swing by Gates. Obviously outsourcing their production elsewhere and quality control has gone out the window.
Gates water pump gasket went flat causing a leak before 50k.
View attachment 146652
A Gates tensioner. Not putting this on my Honda V6.
View attachment 146653
Made in Mexico Gates serpentine belt with obvious signs of low quality showing after 50k.

View attachment 146654
I've seen enough to avoid their brand. In my opinion, they're not the company they used to be.
Just want to share a recent Gates product purchase, a cast metal Gates thermostat housing cover from Rock Auto. Before installing I filed down the mold and slag left inside the housing just to ensure a trouble-free thermostat replacement. The task wasn’t hard but annoying that it had to be done. IMO quality from Gates may no longer be the same as seen from the above examples and to some degree my replacement thermostat housing.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Gates is no longer a true North American company and like many others they are outsourcing to Asian factories as well to stay competitive. Unfortunately quality tends to suffer in some cases. It is good that we have forums like this to share knowledge and weed out the bad products.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stupid question: Is this something that shows up if you put your VIN in at www.nhtsa.gov or is this something that has to be manually checked at Honda?
From the Recall Notice posted above:

If you are still concerned call a Honda Dealer and they will look your vin up.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I think what is more upsetting than Gates, is Honda lowering their standards for profit. It's all at our expense.
This Made in Indonesia drive belt for my 2017 EX-L was OEM. I replaced it around 30k miles because of the stitching. Stitching? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
I think what is more upsetting than Gates, is Honda lowering their standards for profit. It's all at our expense.
This Made in Indonesia drive belt for my 2017 EX-L was OEM. I replaced it around 30k miles because of the stitching. Stitching? 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 146672
Were you having problems with the belt or you just observed the stitching and determined it needed to be replaced?

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Were you having problems with the belt or you just observed the stitching and determined it needed to be replaced?
Just me eyes. 👀

1 - 17 of 17 Posts