Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2018/19 used Pilot vs. new Telluride/Palisade/Highlander?

8K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  knhellesky 
#1 ·
I'm looking to replace a 2010 Chevy Traverse. Wish list is a 1-2 year old 3 row SUV with Apple CarPlay, AWD, heated seats and a few other creature comforts. The Pilot is on my list because it checks those boxes and there are quite a few certified used 1-2 year old models for a good price. However, I'm a bit nervous after reading some of the threads on this forum about reliability. Wondering if it may be worth the extra cash to upgrade to a new Telluride/Palisade/Highlander to get those same features, but with a more reliable vehicle.

Anyone looked at or made a similar consideration? Any feedback or input welcome. Thanks!

#2 ·
Why not get another Traverse? The last year or two of the 1st gen is about as good as it gets in terms of comfort and space. The 2nd gen is always available on good deals around me and has the most updated infotainment.

IMO the Highlander is NOT competitive with this group. It is substantially smaller and belongs with the Sorento, CX-9, and other 3 rows that have a kid only 3rd row and are narrower and shorter.

The Telluride and Palisade would be high on my list if I were looking at new vehicles, we've had a number of the Korean cars and they've all been excellent. And they are pushing the needle in terms of design and features.

As a current Traverse AND Pilot owner, I can tell you the Traverse will only be replaced with a Traverse or larger (which means body on frame like Tahoe/Suburban or their competitors). With 3 kids we use that as our pack mule and we fill it up frequently. The Pilot could be replaced with something similar sized since we still have the larger vehicle as needed.

I just put 2,000 miles on my '14 Traverse a couple weeks ago in great comfort so I'm pretty rose colored about the Traverse right now. I was expecting to be miserable the second half of the trip.

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd
#6 ·
Appreciate the feedback! Generally we've been happy with our '10 Traverse - bought it CPO and have only had a handful of issues. I mostly steered away from it now because most of the reviews I've read online rate the other SUVs I mentioned much higher, especially considering the price tag. We also have 3 kids, but they are still young and we also have a Honda Odyssey, which tends to be the preferred choice when we're packing up the whole family on a longer trip. This Traverse replacement is mostly going to be my wife's daily driver, but we still want the flexibility that the 3rd row provides.

#3 ·
It's all about the 3rd row space. If you're OK with a smaller one it really opens your options up. If you want the larger then there are only a handful of SUV options. People used to find the Kia/Hyundai selling with a big markup, but if that's changed then I'd look at them hard. I'd consider the Durango too along with the current Traverse. Not much else out there in unibody land.

#4 ·
Durango is champ in a couple ways... towing for this size and performance models. The Explorer ST is compelling but I'd take a Durango R/T or SRT all day long.

Reactions: huskernut
#5 ·
We bought an Elite on 11/29. We shopped and drove the Telluride/Pallisade/Atlas/CX9/Durango/Pacifica/Explorer et al. Couldn't get my wife near a Chevy/GM dealer though. Space is a little bit better in the 3rd row on the Telluride/Pallisade and Atlas than the Pilot. There is no direct comparo for any of them in terms of features. You have to give this to get that on all of them. Like the Pilot doesn't have a 360 camera, which is a big hit in my book. The tech in the Telluride/Pallisade is a bit better than the Honda, newer flashier. But once you start looking trim for trim and pricing this is where it gets difficult. We spent 4 months shopping. Drove 1 Telluride in the lowest trim. Never got near a high trim, sold too fast. Drove the Pallisade in several trims. But there were just no deals.

So the trims that compare (mostly - again remember not all features compare) to an Elite Pilot came out as such (these were confirmed deals with dealers in our area + TTL ) - Atlas SEL Premium 46.9 and Pallisade Limited AWD 48.1. Never went near a Telluride as the very first offer verbally from 3 different dealers within 500 miles was 1k OVER msrp for an SX. Our pilot was 43.3 +TTL

We also didn't buy a used Pilot because prices were insane. Plus the spread in APR. Used 1-2 year old Elites in our area are listed for between 39-43k with 10-40k miles. Used prices didn't have much negotiation. Then APR. We had CU pre-approval for 3.9 new, and 5.1 used. Final deal was better than that but used that as a ballpark for deciding new/used.

#10 ·
Sold our 2017 Pilot Touring for a 2021 Telluride SX. They Koreans have come a long way while the Japanese have probably rested on their reputation for too long. The technology and engineering on the Telluride exceeds everything on the Pilot. The idle stop on the Pilot is noticeable on the Telluride it’s faster and more refined. I’m trying to be unbiased and fair, the only things the Pilot does better are the capless fuel door, memory keys (driver 1, driver 2) and the mechanical switch for the heated seats, the Telluride is better in every other aspect. This coming from someone who has owned 13 Honda’s and Acura’s. I recently started dabbling in other brands. Subarus and Fords are junk by comparison.

#12 ·
Having a 2019 Outback 3.6 Touring in my stable, i can testify it is not junk. One of the safest cars you can buy, best AWD in any car, electronics work flawless and very well. No issues in two years, none. Great ground clearance, excellent in snow and rain. Plenty of storage room. Not as big as a Pilot or Telluride obviously but hardly junk.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I test drove Pilot and Palisade, and Palisade is way ahead in terms of tech and price as well.

The only reason I am not buying a Palisade is due their pricing. Dealers want MSRP and over, and I refuse to pay it.

I will buy Palisade once they start selling at normal market price.

#22 ·
I test drove Pilot and Palisade, and Palisade is way ahead in terms of tech and price as well.

The only reason I am not buying a Palisade is due their pricing. Dealers want MSRP and over, and I refuse to pay it.

I will buy Palisade once they start selling at normal market price.
It has been well over a year it has been out, by now demand should be down, particularly during a pandemic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#26 ·
If we are comparing MSRP prices they’re comparable. I found my Telluride for the Costco price which was $1,000 under MSRP. The most loaded Pilot (Black Edition) after destination is $51,040, the Palisade (Calligraphy) is $48,925, the Kia Telluride (SX Prestige Nightfall) $48,855. The Palisade and Telluride offer more content, better finishes and features than a comparable Pilot. I can’t speak to the resale value or reliability of the Korean cars but dollar for dollar they’re a better initial value for sure.

#28 ·
Don't discount the Subaru Ascent. I have a 2018 Pilot EX-L and my wife has a 2020 Subaru Ascent. I kick myself repeatedly for not going that route. She has a nicer ride, better gas mileage, better audio, nicer interior and more cup holders. Don't misunderstand me, i have had 0 issues with my Pilot.

#46 ·
I used to share the same sentiment with some of the folks here when I thought I would never buy a Korean car (Hyundai/Kia). That all changed when I got the Telluride last year. I'm still a Honda fan...but definitely will include Kia from now on my list of cars to consider. Just my .02

Reactions: cintocrunch
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.