Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot AWD 7p Touring
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have just bought a 2017 Touring. The tow package including the tranny cooler is being installed. I will be adding a brake controller as well. I'm looking at getting a new travel trailer. I know the towing weight is 5000 lbs. The question is what can we really tow? I am looking at 2 trailers that are 3800 lbs dry and one that is 4500 lbs dry. I'm sure the 3800 would be fine for it. We're talking 4-5 times a year of towing, no hills and maybe 20 KM's MAX each time, most less. Would the 4500 be pushing it too much?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Ok. I have just bought a 2017 Touring. The tow package including the tranny cooler is being installed. I will be adding a brake controller as well. I'm looking at getting a new travel trailer. I know the towing weight is 5000 lbs. The question is what can we really tow? I am looking at 2 trailers that are 3800 lbs dry and one that is 4500 lbs dry. I'm sure the 3800 would be fine for it. We're talking 4-5 times a year of towing, no hills and maybe 20 KM's MAX each time, most less. Would the 4500 be pushing it too much?
I know what Honda says, just know that the life of these vehicles are shortened by towing (primarily the transmission). I've got small trailers to go to the lumber yard for small home projects or haul a washer and dryer. But if I knowingly had a need for a vehicle to tow 2500 Lb or more. I'm buying another vehicle where the engine and transmission is not sideways under my hood.
IMO

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,471 Posts
Here is everything Honda has to say about it. Best bet sit down and run the numbers and decide what you can/should and can't/shouldn't do. Towing puts stress on the whole vehicle, suspension, engine and transmission,(usually the first to show the damage) shortening vehicle or component life.

For my towing needs, other than some light short tow, such as a mower to a shop, we have a 3/4 ton PU. The 2020 Passport touring is for traveling etc.

I'm not fond of guestamating tongue weight so this was my solution. Mine is a version with more drop/rise lengths but for the Pilot this would be all that is needed. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Hitch_Ball_Mount-sf-Adjustable_Ball_Mount-hs-Fits_2_Inch_Hitch-pc-Drop_~_4_Inch-pm-Weigh_Safe.aspx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts