Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to do my research regarding batteries for my 2017 Pilot Touring, as it's just over 3 years old.

Based on my research, it seems that the Tourings and Elites take an AGM Group 48 - H6 Battery

I've been reading very mixed reviews on batteries for this vehicle, specifically related to the Idle Start/Stop function (which I turn off when Im driving the vehicle). Some people seem to realy like the Walmart Everstart Batteries, and I see they make a few AGM models. It's really inexpensive compared to the other brands of batteries.

For those of you that replaced your OEM battery, which replacement did you go with? Any brands you recommend purchasing, or are there any brands you tried and would stay away from?

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ironically I am looking around for one on my 2016 Pilot right now too. FWIW, I would buy based on statistics ....CCA, Amp Hrs, Reserve Capacity (especially the RC), price and warranty, not brand name or manufacturer. My '16 Pilot does not take an AGM battery. But if it did I would install the one you selected, especially because of Walmart's 4 year warranty on that battery. Hard to get 4 years on a battery anywhere these days. Plus I doubt you'll find another AGM with better stats at a lower price. I am tempted to get the Walmart AGM you picked out, but in my case will probably go with the non-AGM Duracell at Sams Club cause my Pilot didn't come with an AGM battery. The Sams battery I'm considering has identical stats as the Walmart 48(H6) non-AGM battery but at a lower price. I found the same to be true when comparison shopping Sams Club batteries online versus Oreillys, Autozone, Advance Auto and NAPA. No better battery statistics-wise at a better price. Follow my logic?

Lastly, I'm also one of those nuts who prefers to baby my batteries by topping up the electrolyte, periodic testing and saturation charging on a smart charger to help extend their useful life. Alternatively, I could ignore them until I'm stranded some day, and then complain about it. Maintenance costs would be zero.. but I'm spending $$ every 2-3 years on new batteries. Especially with Honda and their two mode charging levels (which is why I drive with my lights on most of the time) that often leaves batteries under charged. With periodic testing you can generally see a battery decline before it gives up it's last breath, allowing you time to replace them ... and without needlessly replacing a perfectly good battery based simply on time alone. I know that's more than you asked, but it's part of battery ownership and selection. Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Forgot to mention. As an example of what I'm talking about I put a new Duracell battery in my son's '12 CRV last week when he was home from college for Christmas. While the old battery was testing fully charged and "good," it also repeatedly showed just 80% CCA with my tester. He drove 300 miles to get home, thus the fully charged level. Since the battery was 4 years old and the car sits for days and weeks on end at school not driven, I feared he would find a dead battery one day soon given the declining CCA. And dear old dad no where in sight to help out. ;) Sooo, I elected to buy the Duracell, because no one else has a better battery for less money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I treat batteries, especially for computer heavy - electronic laden vehicles I own, the same way I do tires. US Made only. Brand don't care, only where it was made. Plenty or resources online to figure out which are made where and buy what is available in your area. YMMV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts