Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
So I'm new to the Pilot world, and am checking out what will be our first one, a 2017 Touring with 25k miles on it. Spent the majority of its life in Cleveland area of ohio, so definite rust belt...I got to looking underneath and the amount of subframe rust alarmed me, especially since my '14 Tundra with 3x the mileage isn't even anywhere close! I would just like to get some knowledgeable opinions from people who might spend a good deal of time under one of these, to see if it should be a no-go or not. Also, is it normal for the welds to look kinda shoddy with a lot of splatter and such?

·
Registered
813 Posts
My 2020 Touring has some rust in the same place as your first pic I think. I'm not very knowledgeable in suspension stuff, so I don't know what exact part it is. Sorry about that....

I live in the south so there's no salt on the roads here, and it's been rusty since day 1 so I guess it's normal?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Some of that looks excessively crusty, with chunks and flakes ready to come off rather than a tight surface rust pattern.

I'd pass.

Reactions: Stive

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting it through Carvana, and the carfax showed all the service records for the VIN. It just sucks because there's not much for the picking out there because they all are claimed once I find a good one.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I'd pass.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm getting it through Carvana, and the carfax showed all the service records for the VIN. It just sucks because there's not much for the picking out there because they all are claimed once I find a good one.
It is not worth getting a vehicle that is in poor condition just because there aren't many to pick from. If you absolutely need a vehicle ASAP I can understand feeling the pressure but if you have time I would not rush into a bad purchase.

I will say Honda has some decent deals and 0% interest going right now. A Pilot may be out of the price range but good deals are out there on CR-Vs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not really that bad overall, but the body rust beneath (what I think is the spare tire area?) is pretty aggressive for an 2017. I think they went through a salty winter and let it sit - with the salt spray residue picking up moisture/drying out/picking up moisture, etc., that can rust a car fast - it needs to be washed off), or they parked it over grass or dirt or something.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts

Don't be afraid to expand your search.
Getting a car transported from another dealership or from out of state isn't that expensive.

Plus it's a great excuse for a road trip.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think I'd pass. Also it seems the Pilot's seem to hold their used value insanely well, yet the new ones can be had with a pretty solid discount. Have you looked at just buying a new one? Maybe not fully optioned and a great finance offer? Also on the new front Acura is practically giving away new 2020 MDX's right now since the new model is out.

·
Registered
767 Posts
There are so many available cars in the south, find a cheap flight and buy one that hasn’t been subjected to rust. What better way to “break in” your new(used) car than a nice road trip?
No kidding - my Atlanta based 2013 has zero rust and 69k miles. Looks waaaay better underneath.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
There are so many available cars in the south, find a cheap flight and buy one that hasn’t been subjected to rust. What better way to “break in” your new(used) car than a nice road trip?

This is the way....

But for ya'll rust belt folks i recommend getting it sprayed / coated underneath before too long.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2012 Ford Escape has about the same rust and that thing sits outside. What does it look like on the underside of the liftgate and the rocker panels?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
349 Posts
The floor pan welds in the 6th photo look SCARY as all hell. Maybe it’s been replaced and whoever welded a new one in did a piss poor job. Looks like some crappy flux core welding was done in the middle of the night by a 12 year old getting yelled at by his dad who was 6 beers deep in a 30 rack. Hard pass lol

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The floor pan welds in the 6th photo look SCARY as all hell. Maybe it’s been replaced and whoever welded a new one in did a piss poor job. Looks like some crappy flux core welding was done in the middle of the night by a 12 year old getting yelled at by his dad who was 6 beers deep in a 30 rack. Hard pass lol
Oddly specific but that level of skill also matches my 33 year old never welded before level!

Reactions: Depleted Islet
1 - 16 of 16 Posts