Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to get a trailer hitch for my 2017 EX-L 4wd.

I would like some recommendations for good aftermarket ones. Are they worth it or should I go with the OEM ones?
Also I want to know if the wiring harness is required by law when towing a motorcycle trailer?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Typically, aftermarket hitches such as Curt and others cost less than an OEM from Honda. I think trailer lights are required on most any trailer. The aftermarket hitches are just as good as OEM, just different in that they hang down below the bumper instead of integrated into the bumper. I put an OEM on my 2017 EX.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
Check the pricing at college hills honda or one of the online discount Honda parts dealers (Bernardis) and see if your local dealer will match.

Use the search feature and you'll see threads which include photos of both oem and aftermarket.

The OEM unit looks really good and you can DIY in about an hour. Either way with DIY make sure you do 2 things.

1. Buy "Fluid Film" and spray the shit out of the under side while you're under there. You can buy it at Lowes / HomeDepot. It is a Lanolin based rust and corrosion inhibitor.

2. Make sure you clean the threads before you try to tighten the bolts of the hitch. If you search my posts I mention what size I used but I think it was 20 gauge bore brush. Of course when I did mine the last bolt, I didn't clean well enough 3/4 of the way in and had to remove 5 bolts, drop the hitch and re-clean deeper in the threads.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the pricing at college hills honda or one of the online discount Honda parts dealers (Bernardis) and see if your local dealer will match.

Use the search feature and you'll see threads which include photos of both oem and aftermarket.

The OEM unit looks really good and you can DIY in about an hour. Either way with DIY make sure you do 2 things.

1. Buy "Fluid Film" and spray the shit out of the under side while you're under there. You can buy it at Lowes / HomeDepot. It is a Lanolin based rust and corrosion inhibitor.

2. Make sure you clean the threads before you try to tighten the bolts of the hitch. If you search my posts I mention what size I used but I think it was 20 gauge bore brush. Of course when I did mine the last bolt, I didn't clean well enough 3/4 of the way in and had to remove 5 bolts, drop the hitch and re-clean deeper in the threads.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at one from CURT and I think I will go with that. Do you know if the wiring for trailer lights required by law?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was looking at one from CURT and I think I will go with that. Do you know if the wiring for trailer lights required by law?
It varies from state to state...you'll have to look up the towing/trailer rules with your DMV. There is usually a weight cutoff where trailer brakes are required, so check that too.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts

I would probable err on the side of caution and just do it anyways especially if you will be towing a trailer.

IMO between the headache, delay and possible injury of getting rear ended bc someone didn't know you were braking or stopping doesn't make sense to save $50.

Less time I spend on the side of the road the better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went OEM because I wanted an OEM fit and finish. I hate how low the aftermarket ones sit. Order from "Honda Parts Guys" online and get it for a much better price than the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts