Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got four new tires at pep boys. After charging a $48 “TPMS programming” fee my tires are reading 3-4 PSI over actual. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
861 Posts
If they used the vehicle specific sensors, no reprogramming is required and all you need to do is drive a little and the system picks up the signals from each wheel. I would question that $48 charge and find out what sensors they installed. I purchased 4 sensors from RockAuto last fall and installed them in my winter rims and no programming was required and they read spot on with my tire gauge. Are you checking all the pressures at the same temp (ie cold)? Temp change can cause a 3-4 psi difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We checked with pep boys and definitely think this is a bogus charge. They didn’t replace the sensors themselves just said they “reprogrammed” the TPMS system.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Just got four new tires at pep boys. After charging a $48 “TPMS programming” fee my tires are reading 3-4 PSI over actual. Does anyone have any thoughts?
How do you know they are off. Did your TPMS light go on?
Your car has the ability to calibrate its own TPMS sensors should they need it. You just have to drive around a while over 30mph.
If TPMS sensors were installed that needed "TPMS programming" they were probably the wrong sensors for your car.
Even so, you can still calibrate them manually yourself. $48 is outrageous. Ask them specifically what they did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts