Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me with my sanity! Had windshield replaced (insurance) and aha, the LKAS and Road Departure Mitigation don't work. So I take it in to the dealership and they say it has to be recalibrated. Sure, makes sense. Not so sure why the jack hole who replaced the glass didn't clue us in on this little necessity. So dealership recalibrates for $195+ (insurance will reimburse). But LKAS and RDM still not working. So I take it back to dealership and an hour later, they say they test drove and it was working. They even had the stones to give me an instructional print out to tell me how it was suppose to work. Without going nuclear, I called BS. So I drove with the service tech and aha, it's not working. Frighteningly enough, the service tech didn't know how it works. Thought just seeing the lines on the screen meant it was working. Behold, the car wasn't keeping the lane and certainly wasn't keep in the road. Shocker. So dealership keeps it to re-recalibrate. 4 hours later they call me and say "per the 'tech-line', the windshield is not OEM and thus will not work with the system. Now, I don't have the car in front of me at the moment but I did look this up the other day when I first realized it was not working and I did see that the windshield looks exactly the same and it does say that it is indeed acoustic glass (i remember a thread here where guys were saying that the Touring and Elite are supposed to get acoustic glass). I don't right now remember the manufactures name but whatever it was, it wasn't the one you guys were complaining about.

Any, long story short - here is my question(s): Is my dealership full of it or just incompetent??? Or both? I called another dealership and they said the glass shouldn't be a problem but said the camera/sensor bracket sometimes can be an issue...but very rarely??

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
Did the glass place install the correct spec windshield? If the camera can't look out, it will never be able to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowledge it is the spec windshield. Looks exactly the same as the old windshield and I compared it to my neighbor's Pilot as well. I just had a lengthy argument with my dealership service manager and he begrudgingly refunded my money for the (twice) failed recalibration. He seemed to nod to the same "tech line" mention of the non-OEM glass issue that the technician and service agent referenced. So I told him that they never should have attempted it and taken my money in the first place. To this he couldn't disagree. Fortunately he did also agree with me that his technicians need training if they are saying (twice) that it was working fine and it wasn't.

Here is the new irony to the whole thing...I am being sent to a different Honda dealer to get it recalibrated again. If they can't do it then they will put in OEM glass (which as we all on here seem to agree, is on backorder for a couple months).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just saw a Safelight television commercial a couple of nights ago.

The commercial showed a windshield being replaced and the narrator said that Safelight replaces AND re-calibrates vehicle windshield optical systems (ADAS) in their shops.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Safelight did mine a few weeks ago. They told us the only option for a window was an OEM one - our backorder was only 1 week (2017 touring). They did the recalibration (it took like 3 hours though).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had mine replaced by Speedy in 2017 (or 2016). OEM windshield, by Pilkinson, IIRC. Didn’t remember re-calibration was mentioned by the installer, but it seems everything working fine. There was no after market glass available at the time. Not sure if it makes any difference, OEM or not, as long as the specs are met, everything should be the same.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check on lower passenger side of windshield. Is there an "H" Honda logo and the word "PILKINGTON" printed below it with a barcode?

If yes, you have a Honda OEM windshield. Take your to another Honda dealer.
If no, you have an aftermarket windshield and it could be the cause of LKAS and RDM not working. I would still take your car to another dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Similar problem on our Elite. Went to dealer with crack in windshield. They say no can do, they refer their glass work to Safelite down the street for replacement. Safelite says a week to order. Ok go back in a week replaced in 2 hours, nothing about calibration said. They install a Fuyoa acoustic windshield. LKAS and Road Departure Mitigation don't work. Back to dealer and they say not OEM so can't work on windshield. After words with service mgr went back to installer to find that they broke camera bracket . after new bracket seems to work now, but wipers are touch and go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We also went to Safelite for replacement and calibration of our '16 Touring. Everything went fine. The only problem is that we needed a new windshield in the first place. My '98 Accord windshield has received several minor chips over the years. Only 2 or 3 resulted in a crack. And when they did, it was tiny and I was able to have it "glued" the following week and did not need a whole new windshield.

On our Pilot, the chip was extremely tiny and the resulting crack was tiny too. Unfortunately, it started growing immediately and was almost across the entire windshield by that evening. I had no time to take it in to be "glued."

Was this just my bad luck or is this just how windshields are now a days?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a 2016 Touring with a cracked windshield thanks to a tractor trailer that kicked-up a rock! I didn't want to have another claim on my insurance this year and quite honestly it could happen again just after getting it fixed so I'm waiting. It was also too long to have it repaired so I'm waiting until it gets worse or just before winter to get it repaired:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts