Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
New smart power control unit/module is installed! So far so good but I know I need to give it at least a month or so before i know for sure. I will be arming the alarm at night and any other chance I get. First 24 hours have been quiet. Fingers crossed this new module solves the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
has anyone figured this out? I have a 2016 EX-L with 80k miles. Same thing. The alarm randomly started going off. The car flickers in and out of accurate mode, and is making a clicking noise. I located the clicking noise. It’s coming from a relay just above the fuse box. When the relay is disconnected the noise still exists, but is much more faint.

I initially thought it was the start stop switch. The dealer replaced the switch under the warranty extension. I brought it home today and the issue started back up tonight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
has anyone figured this out? I have a 2016 EX-L with 80k miles. Same thing. The alarm randomly started going off. The car flickers in and out of accurate mode, and is making a clicking noise. I located the clicking noise. It’s coming from a relay just above the fuse box. When the relay is disconnected the noise still exists, but is much more faint.

I initially thought it was the start stop switch. The dealer replaced the switch under the warranty extension. I brought it home today and the issue started back up tonight.
Jme5009- Replacing the smart power control module completely solved my problem. I have 2017 pilot touring and part # for mine is 38320-TG7-A52. Not sure if its exact same part number for a 2016 so make sure you verify that. I had it installed on January 26th and I've been setting the alarm everywhere and every chance I get. Hot weather, cold weather, wet weather. The pilot has behaved perfectly for almost 2 months straight now. If you use a non honda shop they may try to tell you you have to buy new honda keys BUT the hack to this is for them the program a new aftermarket key first. At that point it will allow you to add your original fobs back to the system. Then just make sure they delete the aftermarket key from the system and your all set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome thank you! I just had the dealership replace part 38320-TG7-A52... it's been a few days and appears to have solved the problem. It was about $800 for the repair. A little overpriced, but I didn't want to take a chance in not being able to start the vehicle after. Just wanted to reply to confirm that this appears to have fixed my issue as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Awesome thank you! I just had the dealership replace part 38320-TG7-A52... it's been a few days and appears to have solved the problem. It was about $800 for the repair. A little overpriced, but I didn't want to take a chance in not being able to start the vehicle after. Just wanted to reply to confirm that this appears to have fixed my issue as well.
Good to hear! Was the dealership able to diagnose it all? Or did they simply order and install the part because you asked them to? That was my biggest issue. Honda dealership couldn't get a code. They couldn't diagnose. Luckily i found this thread and I was able to feel really good about going forward with a new module.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good to hear! Was the dealership able to diagnose it all? Or did they simply order and install the part because you asked them to? That was my biggest issue. Honda dealership couldn't get a code. They couldn't diagnose. Luckily i found this thread and I was able to feel really good about going forward with a new module.
No they weren’t initially. They thought it was the Start/Stop switch and replaced under the Warranty Extension. I did my own research after they went through additional diagnostic testing and hadn’t found anything. I sent them the part number referenced in this thread as a possibility due to there being duplicate symptoms. They contacted me with a couple hours telling me they were “very confident” I was correct and took some money off the diagnostic fee. But you’re right, they didn’t see anything with their computer/scan tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So this is exactly what seems to be happening to my 2016 EXL Pilot. Dealer has replaced ignition start button 2x and still can't find the problem. Today I've pulled all the relays and wiring plugs and checked grounds - even with the wires pulled from the fuse box under steering wheel - the glitching sound is coming from that area behind the fuse box.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2016 EXL and was also experiencing the same issues. My alarm was getting set off randomly. I reset it and then noticed all my dash lights going nuts and the clicking noises others have described. I too replaced the start / stop switch but then the problem returned. I had to install a battery terminal switch on the positive terminal to allow me to disconnect the battery anytime I was going to be away from the vehicle. Not exactly convenient.
This last week I started not disconnecting the battery and the problem has seemingly gone away. Crazy and frustrating. I replaced the battery with top of the line from Autozone today as it was due for a new battery anyway. We will see how it goes but this is ridiculous for a Honda!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had this same problem on our 2016 Pilot. Dealer replaced start button and didnt resolve problem. They finally kept it for a few days and thanks goodness it did it while sitting in garage bay for them to hook up computer to it. It turned out to be a computer module that was bad. I cant complain cause Honda paid for parts and I just covered labor which was 500 dollars. It took them wks to figure it out. They where tracing wires thinking it was a short, change starter button, just luck it was sitting in their garage when it starting acting weird. Ill look to see if I can find maintenance record and see exactly what was replaced. Goodluck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2017 Pilot EXL. After much frustration and mitigation efforts, I searched the forums for answers. Thanks to @kraude and @B_Rock2017Pilot for pointing me in the right direction. 2 months since the control unit replaced and problem free! Attaching invoice. My extended warranty covered the $771.09 expense (just paid the $100 deductible).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
New smart power control unit/module is installed! So far so good but I know I need to give it at least a month or so before i know for sure. I will be arming the alarm at night and any other chance I get. First 24 hours have been quiet. Fingers crossed this new module solves the issue.
Is it still working?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it still working?
We would like to know as well please as we just had the issue start when raining last week. Now we are afraid to take it anywhere in case it starts to beep and blink.
We started to keep it unlocked in the garage at night so as not to set it off.

Do you think it would not do it if we keep it unlocked in the parking lot when we shop? Does it only do it in the rain or high humidity?

This is a very disturbing problem and makes us think about trading it in for another brand. Too bad as we loved this 2017 Pilot touring with only 45,000 on it.

Thanks for any insights on this

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I disconnected the hood sensor and it solved the problem. I took it to the dealer months ago and of course they
could not find any error codes on the sensors. After reading that others are having issues I followed someone's advice and disconnected the sensor on the hood and it solved the problem. You will get an alert saying that the hod is open but it's only because the sensor is disconnected. I'm sure tt is the Smart Power Control Unit which is located behind the glove box. I'm very upset about this car. I have a 2016 Touring with 45, 371 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I disconnected the hood sensor and it solved the problem. I took it to the dealer months ago and of course they
could not find any error codes on the sensors. After reading that others are having issues I followed someone's advice and disconnected the sensor on the hood and it solved the problem. You will get an alert saying that the hod is open but it's only because the sensor is disconnected. I'm sure tt is the Smart Power Control Unit which is located behind the glove box. I'm very upset about this car. I have a 2016 Touring with 45, 371 miles.
Hello and Thanks for responding!
I was going to do that as well but could not find it on the 2017? I watched a bunch of videos but it looked different for the 2017.
Do you have any ideas about how I could disconnect on the 2017?Where did you discover how to do it on the 2016?
Thank You again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having same issues on my 2016 honda pilot ex . If you disconnect the battery for a hour or so it temporarily fixes the problem for like 2 and half weeks than like clock work it starts again. Sending my pilot today into a local Honda dealership in hope they have seen this before and will diagnose the problem. Now if the dealership says they found the problem but it wasn't the smart control unit, then 2 weeks later it does it again they are definitely on the hook for that ,as in they shouldn't charge me again?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So this is exactly what seems to be happening to my 2016 EXL Pilot. Dealer has replaced ignition start button 2x and still can't find the problem. Today I've pulled all the relays and wiring plugs and checked grounds - even with the wires pulled from the fuse box under steering wheel - the glitching sound is coming from that area behind the fuse box.

Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 147357
Replacing the smart power control module was the solution for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
We would like to know as well please as we just had the issue start when raining last week. Now we are afraid to take it anywhere in case it starts to beep and blink.
We started to keep it unlocked in the garage at night so as not to set it off.

Do you think it would not do it if we keep it unlocked in the parking lot when we shop? Does it only do it in the rain or high humidity?

This is a very disturbing problem and makes us think about trading it in for another brand. Too bad as we loved this 2017 Pilot touring with only 45,000 on it.

Thanks for any insights on this
Shastasage- I replaced my smart power control module back in January and haven't had a single issue since. Back when I first had the issue I too noticed that rain and humidity seemed to be a factor in triggering the symptoms. It makes you want to think its bad wires somewhere but its not. Its a faulty smart power control module. Not locking the car does NOT prevent the symptoms. It simply keeps the alarm from going off which helps but the blinking dash will continue to occur thus taking power from your battery. If you disconnect the alarm wire for the hood from the hood latch area (wire is clipped in just underneath the hood latch assembly) it will allow you to lock the car without arming the alarm. Since the wire is not connected your dash will tell you that your hood is open even when its closed. Small price to pay in my opinion. Again, this doesn't prevent the symptoms and battery drain but it does allow you to lock the car without worrying about the alarm going off. I have 2017 pilot touring and part # for mine is 38320-TG7-A52. Not sure if its exact same part number for other trim levels or for a 2016 so make sure you verify that. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Having same issues on my 2016 honda pilot ex . If you disconnect the battery for a hour or so it temporarily fixes the problem for like 2 and half weeks than like clock work it starts again. Sending my pilot today into a local Honda dealership in hope they have seen this before and will diagnose the problem. Now if the dealership says they found the problem but it wasn't the smart control unit, then 2 weeks later it does it again they are definitely on the hook for that ,as in they shouldn't charge me again?
Awolfman, disconnecting the battery is simply clearing the "memory" from the smart power control module but as you have found it only lasts for so long. Good luck but my guess is the dealership will not be able to diagnose it UNLESS the blinking dash/alarm symptoms happen to occur at the exact moment they have their diagnostic equipment hooked up to the car. THe frustrating thing about warranty work is that a dealership shop cannot replace a part under warranty unless they have a code or something definitive telling them a specific part will fix a specific symptom. asking them to replace the smart power control module because a blog thread says so just isnt enough. My pilot has 95K miles and is no longer in warranty so i took it to a private shop and asked them to replace the part knowing it may or may not solve my issue. I did a TON of research before i finally took the gamble but it sure did pay off! It seems to be paying off for other people as well. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to all that shared this info. I have a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L having the same issue, the car seems like it is possessed. After dropping off wife and shutting the car off, sometimes the drivers display starts clicking with relays on/off. The lights even went on/off in the garage.

I took to dealer and they are replacing the power control module 38320-TG7-A5 under my 100K extended warranty for $0

21 - 40 of 40 Posts