Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've done some searching and it seems my issue is less common. I have in the past maybe 4 or 5 times had the tailgate release button on the remote, in the driver door, and on the underside of the tailgate (the one you can see when it's open/up) not work. The two buttons on the car will usually not be backlit when this happens, either. It usually fails when it's up. I can manually shut it, and manually open it with the "handle" button (button where a handle would normally be). When this happens I would usually get the power tailgate malfunction on the dash. Randomly it would start working again.

That was the first 4 or 5 times. This time, it has remained not working. I tried removing and replacing the 10A under-hood fuse that is indicated as the "remove to reset" fuse per the factory troubleshooting info via Service Express. Unfortunately there is really no other troubleshooting provided.

The electronic latch still works (releases when I press the "handle" button and latches again when I manually shut it). Not sure if that's a likely cause, one of the struts, or the controller itself.

Any ideas before I have to start trying to remove and troubleshoot parts separately? I am disappointed that Service Express doesn't have more troubleshooting info, or if they do, I can't find it. This is the sort of thing the paper manuals were always pretty good about covering.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I did some digging and updated my HDS/HIM software to work with the Pilot... I went in and searched for Body Electrical codes and got a "B1384: Tailgate Closer Unit Half Latch switch circuit malfunction." Possible failures are listed as "Signal line open/short" and "Half switch failure." Not sure what a "half switch" is, but I guess I will look into how that switch is wired and see if I can find an open or short, and if that seems OK, replace the latch.

Incidentally I can clear the Body Electrical DTCs, and when I do, it does reset the system and the hatch will open once, then I get the dash malfunction warning again.

I've also reset them and I can manually activate the system through the HDS software, but once I do so it malfunctions again and then ignores all HDS commands.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I did some digging and updated my HDS/HIM software to work with the Pilot... I went in and searched for Body Electrical codes and got a "B1384: Tailgate Closer Unit Half Latch switch circuit malfunction." Possible failures are listed as "Signal line open/short" and "Half switch failure." Not sure what a "half switch" is, but I guess I will look into how that switch is wired and see if I can find an open or short, and if that seems OK, replace the latch.

Incidentally I can clear the Body Electrical DTCs, and when I do, it does reset the system and the hatch will open once, then I get the dash malfunction warning again.

I've also reset them and I can manually activate the system through the HDS software, but once I do so it malfunctions again and then ignores all HDS commands.
Hi. We are having the same issue with the same B1384 code. Did you ever find a way to fix the issue?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. We are having the same issue with the same B1384 code. Did you ever find a way to fix the issue?
I wish I could tell you exactly what I did but I don't remember. I think all that I did was pull the fuse for the unit and reset it in the hope that it would behave... and it appears to do so. Haven't had it fail again since. I expected to have to replace the struts but didn't get that far. Maybe it was a combination of hard and soft resets and multiple openings and closings. Can't tell you if it was open or closed when I did the fuse pull, it likely was closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts