Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pilot EX-L won't start. It had difficulty starting a few times today, but started after a few times. At the end of the day, it wont start at all. Did not leave the lights on and the head lights turn on, so I am not suspecting a battery issue. But I tried jump starting with another car, but it wont start that way either.

12 second video of the problem:

I hear clicking/ignition noises, but not sure what to make of it. Is it the starter, battery, start button or something else? Appreciate any help, TIA.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
My Pilot EX-L won't start. It had difficulty starting a few times today, but started after a few times. At the end of the day, it wont start at all. Did not leave the lights on and the head lights turn on, so I am not suspecting a battery issue. But I tried jump starting with another car, but it wont start that way either.

12 second video of the problem:

I hear clicking/ignition noises, but not sure what to make of it. Is it the starter, battery, start button or something else? Appreciate any help, TIA.
Looks like a dead battery. Has it ever been replaced? If it has been replaced, you might check the terminal connections. Some aftermarket batteries are a little short. Not allowing the terminals to extend up through the battery box, preventing the terminals from being as tight as they should be. If that's the case, shims like these will help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a dead battery. Has it ever been replaced? If it has been replaced, you might check the terminal connections. Some aftermarket batteries are a little short. Not allowing the terminals to extend up through the battery box, preventing the terminals from being as tight as they should be. If that's the case, shims like these will help.
View attachment 140607
It hasn't been replaced (3.5 years old). If the battery is bad, should't it have started with a jumpstart?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I had a battery fail a few years back and was unable to jump start the car. Sometimes they short out internally. If it isn't the battery, it could be corrosion on battery cables or grounding straps.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I had a battery fail a few years back and was unable to jump start the car. Sometimes they short out internally. If it isn't the battery, it could be corrosion on battery cables or grounding straps.
Just experienced this recently. Could not jump a vehicle with an AGM Battery. $180 later at AutoZone, problem solved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I just checked it and it's around 10.2 volts, looks like it is dead. It has a 6/19 date on it, so I think I had the dealer replace it last year. I'll check with the dealer if its under warranty tomorrow, if not ill get one at Costco.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just checked it and it's around 10.2 volts, looks like it is dead. It has a 6/19 date on it, so I think I had the dealer replace it last year. I'll check with the dealer if its under warranty tomorrow, if not ill get one at Costco.
That's not very old at all. They probably will check the alternator too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dealer replaced my OEM Battery under warranty when I took my 18’ Pilot for an oil change at 15k miles. I feel like bad batch of Batteries made by Johnson Control.

·
Registered
42 Posts
10.2 is a bad cell in the battery. It will get replaced but you might have to deal with the same issue in a year or so. My best advise get a Battery from East Penn Manufacturing aka DEKA Batteries made in the USA search for a local dealer or distributor.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
2017 is over due for a replacement battery.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Really? 4 years old is over due? Seems like the minimum i would expect from a battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Milage and use is a factor. Not just age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts