Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experience the following problems. Of course the dealership tells me that it is only a vibration noise or wind rattle noise which it most definitely is not!

1. While traveling, you will hear a low grumbling like sound which can last for several seconds. When you hear this sound, if you look at your gas mileage indicator lights, you will notice that they go completely white. While this is occurring, if you tap on the brakes to slow down or the accelerator to speed up, it will stop the grumbling sound and all goes back to normal. I have only noticed this happening when I am traveling over 50 miles an hour at a consistent speed. Although it is most noticeable when using cruise control, I have noticed it when not using cruise control as well. It appears to happen when a consistent speed is kept. The quieter, smoother the highway, the more noticeable it is. It can happen several different times within a 10 miles stretch. If you are on a road that is consistently up hills and down hills, it will not do it as your speed is constantly changing. Also, if you do not hit the brakes or the accelerator to make it stop, it will stop on its own after a few seconds. You can gently hear and/or feel when it stops.

2. Another noise that appeared about the same time as the above, although it doesn’t occur as frequently, is a noise that appears to come from the driver’s side of the engine area. I have not noticed this noise occurring at the same time as the above noise, but it is just as random and can last for several seconds. As with the above, if you tap on the brakes it will go away. The noise kind of sounds like rapid dull sounding machine gun fire or something similar to that.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sounds like VCM vibrations. The active motor mounts and the sound baffle system hide most of it, but rumbles still come thru. Get a VCM disabler asap.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with @STMech. Those are the exact circumstances when the engine would be running on 3 cylinders and the active motor mounts are getting a workout trying to minimize the vibrations. Your motor mounts may be on the way out if this is noticeable now in a way it was not prior.

Buy a VCM Tuner II or SVCM and shut that cylinder deactivation system down!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with @STMech. Those are the exact circumstances when the engine would be running on 3 cylinders and the active motor mounts are getting a workout trying to minimize the vibrations. Your motor mounts may be on the way out if this is noticeable now in a way it was not prior.

Buy a VCM Tuner II or SVCM and shut that cylinder deactivation system down!
Thank you! Yes - this new sound started happening happing about a month ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts