Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
It is carbon buildup clogging the injector nozzles that is the problem and it is just as easy to replace them with new ones rather than chance cleaning them as you said.
It's probably been discussed, but I'm wondering what's supposed to be better about the revised late model injectors.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
It's probably been discussed, but I'm wondering what's supposed to be better about the revised late model injectors.
I know that the replacements have an updated partnumber but I don't know if the nozzle design has actually been changed to minimize carbon buildup. There are quite a few other automakers using GDI and I don't know if they are having similar issues.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
That's some tough carbon even if it's on the fringes of the nozzle holes. Honda's GDI system uses 1200 psi give or take depending where the fuel pressure regulator puts it based on driving conditions. I'm a believer in Techron for fighting carbon because I've seen the results first hand on BMW intake valves before/after and on vehicles that used it regularly that never had an issue. This was in the 1980s when BMW really struggled with this and walnut shell blasting of intake valves was common.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
31 Posts
a week ago i just bought a 17 exl awd with 36k miles on it. im hoping i dont have to deal with this issue, but if i do i now know where to come get the info i need!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am curious if anyone has noticed a significant diminish in their gas mileage? I have a 2017 Pilot Touring and had this service done around 40k covered under the power train warranty. I have complained about the gas mileage a couple of times since and each time they just tell me its normal. They even went as far to say to use 91 octane "top tier" gas. I've lost around 10-15% on my gas mileage since the repair and am seriously considering selling the vehicle as the cost of the vehicle has now gone up significantly because of the poor gas mileage I am now receiving. My Pilot just hit 60k and I do have a 100k/7 year bumper to bumper warranty on the vehicle. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get this resolved? It seems they just brush you off when you complain about this stuff... it's extremely off putting and making me re-consider buying Honda in the future.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am curious if anyone has noticed a significant diminish in their gas mileage?
No change in my mileage since the injectors were replaced. The car is definately smoother now, especially when idling. My fuel consumption is definately lower in the summer and my avg is around 24mpg calculated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 EX-L started having the power loss issue at 43 K miles. When I step on the accelerator you can actually see RPM needle stagger up, not smooth as it was prior. I thought is was related to gas quality however, using higher tier 87 - 91 octane Mobil, Shell, etc. has not improved or resolved the problem. Although I have not had any engine codes pop up, I believe it's related to the injectors. I dropped Pilot off at the dealership this morning with copies of the TSB. They are aware of the injector problem and claim they will run the computer to see what comes up. If it's the injectors, I hope Honda does the right thing and pick up the cost. Prior to the the 2017, owned a 2011 Pilot and never had an issue. Being a loyal Honda customer since 85', I'm quite disappointed with the lack of quality and their unwillingness to come forward with a recall.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My 2017 EX-L started having the power loss issue at 43 K miles. When I step on the accelerator you can actually see RPM needle stagger up, not smooth as it was prior. I thought is was related to gas quality however, using higher tier 87 - 91 octane Mobil, Shell, etc. has not improved or resolved the problem. Although I have not had any engine codes pop up, I believe it's related to the injectors. I dropped Pilot off at the dealership this morning with copies of the TSB. They are aware of the injector problem and claim they will run the computer to see what comes up. If it's the injectors, I hope Honda does the right thing and pick up the cost. Prior to the the 2017, owned a 2011 Pilot and never had an issue. Being a loyal Honda customer since 85', I'm quite disappointed with the lack of quality and their unwillingness to come forward with a recall.
There is a service bulletin covering the 16 to 19 model years and the injectors are covered for 10 yrs or 150k miles as long as you have the emissions codes. Hopefully the dealership can sort it out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanted to thank all of you. Came here last night when Emission error/ check engine light came on and you are all correct. Just bought 17 Pilot EXL with 33K miles on it 4 months ago. Brought to Honda, got the call that it was fuel injectors. Honda replacing free of charge under the bulletin (no current normal warranties on the car). Disheartening, only got this vehicle to vehicle to replace our beloved 06 Odyssey that was destroyed in accident. I will say this though, the reason I didn't look at the 2nd gen Pilots, is that their safety rating is far below the 3rd gen. It matters when it matters, know what I mean? Our Odyssey saved me and my daughter by taking the brunt of the accident. Just hoping no more errors. This is our 4th Honda, with the least mileage and never, ever had a check engine light come on the others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a service bulletin covering the 16 to 19 model years and the injectors are covered for 10 yrs or 150k miles as long as you have the emissions codes. Hopefully the dealership can sort it out to your satisfaction.
Unfortunately I haven't had the emission codes flash up on the dash and the dealer claims the computer run came back clean. At this point, I don't know if he is being dishonest or not. Do you know the service bulletin number so i can download and keep it handy?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't had the emission codes flash up on the dash and the dealer claims the computer run came back clean. At this point, I don't know if he is being dishonest or not. Do you know the service bulletin number so i can download and keep it handy?
Here are the copies of the Service bulletins FYI. The A20 covers the 2016's and the A21 covers the 17-19's. I would also invest in a OBD scanner and check the specific codes if you get the warning again. Just don't clear them before going to the dealership

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
The stuttering RPM guage you described in post 148 is actually more characteristic of a slipping torque convertor. Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed? If not I would get it done ASAP and consider disabling the cylinder deactivation system (VCM) which exacerbates the clutch slippage problem. Multiple threads here on disabling VCM and the theory of why it should be done.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The stuttering RPM guage you described in post 148 is actually more characteristic of a slipping torque convertor. Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed? If not I would get it done ASAP and consider disabling the cylinder deactivation system (VCM) which exacerbates the clutch slippage problem. Multiple threads here on disabling VCM and the theory of why it should be done.
Yes, disabling the VCM definitely improves throttle response and gives you a smoother engine running on 6cyl all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Pilot almost 2 months ago to the day. The “maintenance due” light came on last week. Made an appt. to have it serviced, then yesterday the “emissions system problem” light came on. I noticed it was driving sluggish and seemed to slightly accelerate while sitting at red lights. The dealership says it needs new fuel injectors and that it’s covered under warranty. I was happy that it’s covered but floored that it needs this type of service at 42,000 miles!

This is my first Honda. My Jeep had nearly 200K miles before I had issues. My Kia Soul just now messed up with 150K miles. I bought the Pilot because I’ve heard it’s a reliable car. After reading many posts on here about 2016 Hondas having this same problem, I’m wondering if I should trade it in now or stick with it. I absolutely love this car, but I don’t want to spend unnecessary money for a car that’s having issues with less than 50K miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I bought a brand new 2018 Honda CR-V and after 9 months of use the blind spot sensors were damaged. I struggled for 3 days because Honda needed the car to report that in the diagnosis, at the end an inspector saw the problem and decided it was covered by warranty. At 13 months, the battery died leaving us stranded 3 hours away from home ar night took 2 tow trucks to finally get to the Honda dealership: one to drive to my home at night and another one in the morning to the dealership.
It took 6 hours to replace a battery.
At 18 months all the light sensors in the CR-V's dashboard lighted up with errors. I mean literally ALL of them and with that The vehicle had issues recognizing the road. Honda couldn't find the problem and just as the sensors errors lighted up they dissapear.
2 or 3 months after the dashboard code errors they same issue came back. The only solution was to disconnect the battery and reconnect it again. This would reboot the computer and TEMPORARY made the sensors error dissapear.
At 46k the check engine light appears. This time with a code P0301 which is covered by and extension of warranty, but guess what?!? The code was for something specific not covered by Honda warranty - the FUEL INJECTORS.
So after struggling with Honda they never honour the warranty and after 2 weeks in the dealership we ended up paying $1,200 usd.
I have to say Honda is not a good car anymore.
I have own Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and all can say HONDA is the worst. Not recommend

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
50 Posts
I bought a brand new 2018 Honda CR-V and after 9 months of use the blind spot sensors were damaged. I struggled for 3 days because Honda needed the car to report that in the diagnosis, at the end an inspector saw the problem and decided it was covered by warranty. At 13 months, the battery died leaving us stranded 3 hours away from home ar night took 2 tow trucks to finally get to the Honda dealership: one to drive to my home at night and another one in the morning to the dealership.
It took 6 hours to replace a battery.
At 18 months all the light sensors in the CR-V's dashboard lighted up with errors. I mean literally ALL of them and with that The vehicle had issues recognizing the road. Honda couldn't find the problem and just as the sensors errors lighted up they dissapear.
2 or 3 months after the dashboard code errors they same issue came back. The only solution was to disconnect the battery and reconnect it again. This would reboot the computer and TEMPORARY made the sensors error dissapear.
At 46k the check engine light appears. This time with a code P0301 which is covered by and extension of warranty, but guess what?!? The code was for something specific not covered by Honda warranty - the FUEL INJECTORS.
So after struggling with Honda they never honour the warranty and after 2 weeks in the dealership we ended up paying $1,200 usd.
I have to say Honda is not a good car anymore.
I have own Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and all can say HONDA is the worst. Not recommend
That really sucks. We have a 2017 CRV bought cpo a year ago at 47k miles, and a 2020 Pilot bought new. We have had zero issues with both cars so I do count myself very lucky.

We had a 2017 Pilot bought new that got up to 65k miles but we constantly, on and off, got the emissions system error message, which I now know was due to bad injectors. At 15K miles I installed the S-VCM controller so hopefully I won’t get bad injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Pilot almost 2 months ago to the day. The “maintenance due” light came on last week. Made an appt. to have it serviced, then yesterday the “emissions system problem” light came on. I noticed it was driving sluggish and seemed to slightly accelerate while sitting at red lights. The dealership says it needs new fuel injectors and that it’s covered under warranty. I was happy that it’s covered but floored that it needs this type of service at 42,000 miles!

This is my first Honda. My Jeep had nearly 200K miles before I had issues. My Kia Soul just now messed up with 150K miles. I bought the Pilot because I’ve heard it’s a reliable car. After reading many posts on here about 2016 Hondas having this same problem, I’m wondering if I should trade it in now or stick with it. I absolutely love this car, but I don’t want to spend unnecessary money for a car that’s having issues with less than 50K miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I own 17 Pilot and had the same issue of failing fuel injector at around 40K miles. I have now put about 129K miles. about 80K miles, catalytic convertor failed so I have replaced and now at 129K Miles, fuel injector again failed. Quality of Honda is not good at all. I Owned many Toyotas in my life time and never had any issue like this. My Camry had over 350K miles and not a single issue. Honda is not reliable car like Toyotas etc... Honda do have free repair on this type of breakdown.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts