Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Trying higher octane top tier fuel but not sure if it even helps.
87 octane top tier fuel is recommended and using higher octane fuel will cause issues and put a bigger dent in your wallet. I switched to 87 Esso a few months ago and no more p0430 codes at least for now and I am almost at 60k miles with the original injectors on a 16 EXL. Hoping to get at least 100k out of them before I have to change them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Pilot almost 2 months ago to the day. The “maintenance due” light came on last week. Made an appt. to have it serviced, then yesterday the “emissions system problem” light came on. I noticed it was driving sluggish and seemed to slightly accelerate while sitting at red lights. The dealership says it needs new fuel injectors and that it’s covered under warranty. I was happy that it’s covered but floored that it needs this type of service at 42,000 miles!

This is my first Honda. My Jeep had nearly 200K miles before I had issues. My Kia Soul just now messed up with 150K miles. I bought the Pilot because I’ve heard it’s a reliable car. After reading many posts on here about 2016 Hondas having this same problem, I’m wondering if I should trade it in now or stick with it. I absolutely love this car, but I don’t want to spend unnecessary money for a car that’s having issues with less than 50K miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I have a 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L (bought brand new) and the emission light came on a few days ago. I brought it in to have it check out at (41,200 miles). Turns out I also need all new injectors. Honda Dealership said the fuel injectors are only covered under the 36K/3 year warranty and I'm just out of range. They checked the service bulletin on it and my VIN was also just out of range. Won't cover it! 1400.00 for injectors and 165 for diagnostic test. I called Honda America and currently have a case number going for it. I am absolutely pissed off! I have owned 2 other Honda's in the past and we were planning on buying a new Honda Accord soon. If Honda America doesn't come through, forget about ever having my business again. There's no reason that the injectors should go out at 40k miles, it's definitely a flaw and they should own up to it. We will see what Honda America says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 pilot touring. 86k miles Had the same problem yesterday. Started the car to go to work and all the lights popped up. Including transmission. Got it towed to Honda. They said it was still under warranty. Paid roughly 500 to get it fixed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems like a common problem with the early 3rd gen Pilots. My 2016 error light started around 80000 km.Dealer replaced the catalytic converter with no success. Replaced injectors after several trips and showing Piloteer posts. All under warranty. Big inconvenience though. I agree, injectors should not fail so ealy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Seems like a common problem with the early 3rd gen Pilots. My 2016 error light started around 80000 km.Dealer replaced the catalytic converter with no success. Replaced injectors after several trips and showing Piloteer posts. All under warranty. Big inconvenience though. I agree, injectors should not fail so ealy.
Has the issue come back ever since you got them replaced?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I agree, injectors should not fail so ealy.
I agree as well but are they really failing or just dirty. Has anyone here looked at the old injectors to see if it is really a failure or just carbon buildup?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I thought I'd bring this thread back up...aren't we happy.:rolleyes:

2017 Pilot EX-L
66,000 miles

I've been letting the dealership service our vehicle since we purchased it new. For the last couple of years we've had a sporadic engine light come on stating we had an emissions problem...it might stay on a half a day or maybe stay on for several days and then go off. We mentioned it a couple of times and were told "they do they, just ignore them and they'll go off". Yeah...

Well, since the previous oil change we had been detecting a slight to moderate engine surging when up to 45-55mph'ish speeds...just at the point where you barely have any torque on the transmission

Yesterday we took it in for an oil change and had called earlier letting them know we wanted the "surging" diagnosed. We live about 60 miles from the dealership and they told us it would take 2 to 2-1/2 hours to check things out and service it. Ok, that's fine.

To give a summation, 4-1/2 hours later our service rep told us we needed all new injectors, transmission flush, and the the transmission and catalytic converter "flashed" (computer, I presumed). To start with the rep told us the injectors were a $1200 repair, the transmission flush would be $100, and the computer work would be included in the diagnosis for around $70. And, of course, the cost of the oil change and tire rotation. BUT, the rep told us that he did some digging, found a bulletin, went to the warranty officer/kingpin/chief-bottle-washer and that they would get me out the door for less than $200 (not including the oil change). But, it would now be another 2-1/2 hours before they could get the job completed.<sigh> It was my wife and I, just sitting at a Honda dealership yesterday. COVID-19 didn't help things, being as masks, etc.,. But, at least it was a decent day weatherwise and we managed to get outside and walk some. But, still...seven hours total time sitting around running the batteries down on our smartphones.

At 5pm our Pilot was ready. Total bill....$77.59 which included the oil change and tire service. The rep had gone back again and tied everything into the power-train warranty and service bulletin and the transmission work, computer flashing, and injectors was all covered under warranty. Still kind of odd, but we took it.

I'm curious about the $1200 that they stated as being the cost of the injector replacement. Both the injector set and the fuel rail set were replaced. I'm thankful for no out-of-pocket expense for all of this but wondering about the $1200 quote on the injectors. Does that sound about right?

We had been averaging 26.6mpg on gas mileage. Coming home, with some in-town driving and about a 50mile road trip with speeds ~65mph we ended up with 25.4mpg when we pulled up at home. I'm curious as to how the fuel mileage will be affected by this.

Ah well, I just thought I'd share this. Push for some help with warranty if you run into the injector problem...seems like Honda is well aware of it and have bulletins out regarding it. Best wishes.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, I thought I'd bring this thread back up...aren't we happy.:rolleyes:

2017 Pilot EX-L
66,000 miles

I've been letting the dealership service our vehicle since we purchased it new. For the last couple of years we've had a sporadic engine light come on stating we had an emissions problem...it might stay on a half a day or maybe stay on for several days and then go off. We mentioned it a couple of times and were told "they do they, just ignore them and they'll go off". Yeah...

Well, since the previous oil change we had been detecting a slight to moderate engine surging when up to 45-55mph'ish speeds...just at the point where you barely have any torque on the transmission

Yesterday we took it in for an oil change and had called earlier letting them know we wanted the "surging" diagnosed. We live about 60 miles from the dealership and they told us it would take 2 to 2-1/2 hours to check things out and service it. Ok, that's fine.

To give a summation, 4-1/2 hours later our service rep told us we needed all new injectors, transmission flush, and the the transmission and catalytic converter "flashed" (computer, I presumed). To start with the rep told us the injectors were a $1200 repair, the transmission flush would be $100, and the computer work would be included in the diagnosis for around $70. And, of course, the cost of the oil change and tire rotation. BUT, the rep told us that he did some digging, found a bulletin, went to the warranty officer/kingpin/chief-bottle-washer and that they would get me out the door for less than $200 (not including the oil change). But, it would now be another 2-1/2 hours before they could get the job completed.<sigh> It was my wife and I, just sitting at a Honda dealership yesterday. COVID-19 didn't help things, being as masks, etc.,. But, at least it was a decent day weatherwise and we managed to get outside and walk some. But, still...seven hours total time sitting around running the batteries down on our smartphones.

At 5pm our Pilot was ready. Total bill....$77.59 which included the oil change and tire service. The rep had gone back again and tied everything into the power-train warranty and service bulletin and the transmission work, computer flashing, and injectors was all covered under warranty. Still kind of odd, but we took it.

I'm curious about the $1200 that they stated as being the cost of the injector replacement. Both the injector set and the fuel rail set were replaced. I'm thankful for no out-of-pocket expense for all of this but wondering about the $1200 quote on the injectors. Does that sound about right?

We had been averaging 26.6mpg on gas mileage. Coming home, with some in-town driving and about a 50mile road trip with speeds ~65mph we ended up with 25.4mpg when we pulled up at home. I'm curious as to how the fuel mileage will be affected by this.

Ah well, I just thought I'd share this. Push for some help with warranty if you run into the injector problem...seems like Honda is well aware of it and have bulletins out regarding it. Best wishes.
I have a feeling that Honda is going to expand the injector warranty to cover the 17's at some point as they seem to be failing just like the ones on the 16's. From what I have heard from the Honda tech's is that it is carbon buildup on the injector nozzles that affects the spray pattern causing the DTC's to pop up. It seems to happen around 60k miles on the 3rd gens.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a feeling that Honda is going to expand the injector warranty to cover the 17's at some point as they seem to be failing just like the ones on the 16's. From what I have heard from the Honda tech's is that it is carbon buildup on the injector nozzles that affects the spray pattern causing the DTC's to pop up. It seems to happen around 60k miles on the 3rd gens.

When I had my injectors on my 2017 replaced at 30,000 miles, I asked the service advisor, what if this happens again. He said it won't happen again. We will see if it does happen or not. I am close to 60,000 miles, so if it only took 30,000 miles the first time, I am looking at it again at 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
857 Posts
When I had my injectors on my 2017 replaced at 30,000 miles, I asked the service advisor, what if this happens again. He said it won't happen again. We will see if it does happen or not. I am close to 60,000 miles, so if it only took 30,000 miles the first time, I am looking at it again at 60,000 miles.
Wow, that was early to have them replaced. Is your driving mostly in town stop and go or is it longer trips on the hwy? Mine were just replaced at almost 60k miles but I purchased the vehicle used a year ago with 50k on it and don't know how it was driven by the previous owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought that I would add that the new injectors have a 12-month/12k miles warranty. Not sure what will happen after that if we have an issue.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have a friend with a 2016 pilot. I was worried things like this may happen since they switched to direct injection in 2016 from the previous multi port injection. With the injector face directly in the cylinder running against the high pressure combustion environment in the cylinder is extreme environment for possible problems. I was going to suggest she plan to run some fuel additive on occasion and an intake treatment like Seafoam every 5K or 10K to help keep the valves clean.
Like VCM, I have to wonder what what they were smoking when they came up with the bright idea to go to DI. Especially since they didn't have an injector design that could stand up to the heat and carbon of combustion. But the really unfortunate thing is after replacing the injectors one or more times, next will come dealing with carboned up intake valves which have lost the benefit of incoming fuel wash from MPI. It's not going to be pretty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow, that was early to have them replaced. Is your driving mostly in town stop and go or is it longer trips on the hwy? Mine were just replaced at almost 60k miles but I purchased the vehicle used a year ago with 50k on it and don't know how it was driven by the previous owner.
My driving was usually to work and back and doing errands and also pulling a trailer sometimes. My drive to work was 23 miles one way. So, yeah I was surprised by getting the famous emissions control light

·
Registered
857 Posts
I thought that I would add that the new injectors have a 12-month/12k miles warranty. Not sure what will happen after that if we have an issue.
According to the service bulletin on the 2016's you have a 10yr/150k warranty on the injectors. Hopefully that will expanded to cover future model years.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
According to the service bulletin on the 2016's you have a 10yr/150k warranty on the injectors. Hopefully that will expanded to cover future model years.
Be nice if they wised up and dropped the whole mess from future model years. I see hybrid injector systems are becoming more popular, multiport injectors in addition to direct ones to help keep the intake valves from carboning up.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Be nice if they wised up and dropped the whole mess from future model years. I see hybrid injector systems are becoming more popular, multiport injectors in addition to direct ones to help keep the intake valves from carboning up.
Even better if they take a step back and use MPI again. I can see issues with that new hybrid system as it sounds way too complex and you are still going to have the carbon fouling on the DI nozzles.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Even better if they take a step back and use MPI again. I can see issues with that new hybrid system as it sounds way too complex and you are still going to have the carbon fouling on the DI nozzles.
I totally agree, but I doubt we'll see any stepping back ... marketeers only know "new and improved" ... "old and improved" sounds like an oxymoron and doesn't sell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2017 Honda Pilot with 49K miles has the infamous P0430 Emissions light. Reset it twice only for it to come back a month later. Scheduling an appt with Honda now.. Praying they will cover it under warranty. Still have powertrain warranty till end of 2021. uhhgg

Update: Service advisor stated its all covered under the 8yr/80,000 emissions warranty from Honda.. Phew... Taking it in for repair.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
I also don't see how a dual MPI / GDI system would keep the GDI injectors any cleaner either. Dual MPI / GDI systems are for keeping intake valves clean, not for keeping the injectors clean. I thought Honda admitted that contamination from the HPFP was the issue anyway on early 3rd gen vehicles. You can't clear contaminated injectors with cleaners and different fuel brands if the injectors are internally fouled with metal contaminants or other debris. Maybe professional cleaning that involves back-flushing, but even then...... The labor to replace a set of injectors is pretty high to take a chance on reconditioned injectors. A dealer shop is just going to replace them and not take a chance on it.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
857 Posts
I also don't see how a dual MPI / GDI system would keep the GDI injectors any cleaner either. Dual MPI / GDI systems are for keeping intake valves clean, not for keeping the injectors clean. I thought Honda admitted that contamination from the HPFP was the issue anyway on early 3rd gen vehicles. You can't clear contaminated injectors with cleaners and different fuel brands if the injectors are internally fouled with metal contaminants or other debris. Maybe professional cleaning that involves back-flushing, but even then...... The labor to replace a set of injectors is pretty high to take a chance on reconditioned injectors. A dealer shop is just going to replace them and not take a chance on it.
It is carbon buildup clogging the injector nozzles that is the problem and it is just as easy to replace them with new ones rather than chance cleaning them as you said. It is good that Honda is covering this for 10yrs/150k on the 2016's at this point and hopefully that will be extended to cover later models soon.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts