Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I purchased it from Auto Nation. I live in Texas in a tiny town, so the closest dealer is 2 hours away. I took the car to a local mechanic shop who told me the O2 sensor. I have no idea about what DTC means. I literally just have to trust what I am being told. I dont have a clue about mechanics
I'd hate to bash your mechanic that you didn't need an O2 sensor, there is always a chance that the sensor he sold you is now bad too, depending on the brand he sold you. Honda's can be finicky about using Denso brand O2 sensors (I learned the hard way). That being said, we'd really need to know exactly what Trouble Codes you have in order to give any advice.
If you haven't already, you may want to set up a Honda website name and password, enter your VIN # to find the service history for your vehicle as to what has been done. There are several Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that may need to be performed. Taking it to the dealership is your best option. Hopefully they will cover some cost.

·
Registered
248 Posts
DTC = diagnostic trouble code. Basically DTCs are a standardized set of codes across manufacturers that are related to a set of standardized diagnostic tests required by federal emissions laws. Unfortunately Texas is not on the list of states with extended Emissions warranty coverage. As you probably have surmised, early 3G Pilots have been plagued with fuel injector failures but this may be totally unrelated to your problem. Honda has published a series of technical service bulletins to address the injector problem. The TSBs guide technicians on troubleshooting what can be very complex problems. Depending on the DTC(s) being reported by your vehicle, one or more of these TSBs should be followed by the technician. Independent shops have access to the data base of TSBs but if the shop is not familiar with Hondas or if they don’t take time to research they may not know that a TSB exists. For example, TSB 19-073 referenced above could apply in your case depending on the DTCs being reported.
The Honda dealer will have a service history for your vehicle for any service performed by Honda. It might be worth giving them a call to see if they would share the data. It would be helpful to know the vehicle’s service history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have injector problems you need to report it to NHTSA. Honda should be forced to recall the injectors. The TSB states the problem comes from "debris from the high pressure pump or fuel injector maching process can cause internal wear or clogging of the fuel injector. This means the problem was caused by Honda when the car was built. They failed to properly flush after maching and now want us to pay for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m about to go through my 2nd set of fuel injectors on my ‘16 Honda Pilot. Replaced the first time at 26k, which was covered by the warranty. Now, at 104k, I need a new set which will set me back about $2000 at the dealership!
Just wondering if both set of fuel injector was the xxxx-xxxx-315 product number or the xxx-305? Just trying to figure out if their replacement fuel injector was also failing. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I am willing to bet that the big problem with the injectors is carbon buildup clogging the small nozzles and affecting the spray pattern. This will cause poor combustion, misfires and cat converter issues just as we are experiencing. I think we will see this issue in the 18 and later models in time. According to Honda, some of the early issues were related to metal particles clogging the nozzles but to me, that seems like a poor excuse to blame the manufacturer. The 315 injector may just have an updated part number and could be exactly the same design as the discontinued 305.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had mine replaced at 30,000 miles on a 2017 Honda EXL. I am at 50,000 miles. Waiting to see if this happens again. I hope not.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am willing to bet that the big problem with the injectors is carbon buildup clogging the small nozzles and affecting the spray pattern. This will cause poor combustion, misfires and cat converter issues just as we are experiencing. I think we will see this issue in the 18 and later models in time.
Carbon buildup on valves is one thing, but what can we do to prevent carbon buildup on injectors other than using top tier gas? Or will we just end up pulling and cleaning/replacing injectors every 60k miles?

I'm hoping for suggestions. My prevention steps so far include:
1. Use Top Tier gas
2. Disable VCM
3. Install oil catch can
4. Shorter oil change intervals
5. ???

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Carbon buildup on valves is one thing, but what can we do to prevent carbon buildup on injectors other than using top tier gas? Or will we just end up pulling and cleaning/replacing injectors every 60k miles?

1. Use Top Tier gas
2. Disable VCM
3. Install oil catch can
5. ???
50k -60k miles seems to be the norm and I don't know if you can just get away with cleaning them. I had the dreaded p0430 code pop up 4 months ago and switched to Esso gas and ran a can of Seafoam through, changed the air filter and oil/filter and it has not come back and I am at a little over 55k miles now. Keeping my fingers crossed though. Direct injection may be more efficient but it exposes the injectors to the combustion process and we are seeing the effects of it and I don't know what else we can do.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts

1. Use Top Tier gas
2. Disable VCM
3. Install oil catch can
5. ???
.1 Top Tier 87 octane
.5 Less evaporative engine oil
.6 A clean Air Filter
.7 Clean working MAF
.8 Leak free intake tube
.9 Working PCV
.10 Working O2 sensors
.11 More highway speed driving

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I just want everyone to understand the "possible" pit fall of using a VCM disabling device. It does trick your ecu into thinking your engine temp is 160°ish. Your VCM will not activate at this low temp. Just make sure your cooling system is working normally. That includes making sure your 2 cooling fans are both working properly. Inspect your coolant level and fans regularly. I don't want anyone mad at that Nail Grease guy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nail Grease, fortunately that is the benefit of the newer SVCM and VCM Tuner II vs the older resistor-controlled muzzlers. Both of these new systems will restore your temp gauge to normal reading if your engine overheats.

·
Registered
401 Posts
What's the difference between SVCM and VCM Tuner?
Short answer: not much. VCM Tuner II has an accelerometer that notes when vehicle is stationary which is useful for some ECU relearn procedure. Probably a few other minor details. See this thread:

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Nail Grease, fortunately that is the benefit of the newer SVCM and VCM Tuner II vs the older resistor-controlled muzzlers. Both of these new systems will restore your temp gauge to normal reading if your engine overheats.
I've wrote about this somewhere, but I had a experience where having a VCM disabling devices attached to my engine temp sensor defaulting my temp to 165.2°F, it made diagnosing a small over heating problem at idle. It involved a burnt out cooling fan and the A/C. I replaced the fan and all was well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m about to go through my 2nd set of fuel injectors on my ‘16 Honda Pilot. Replaced the first time at 26k, which was covered by the warranty. Now, at 104k, I need a new set which will set me back about $2000 at the dealership!
Hi there. Just wondering if both set of fuel injectors are the 315s serial number or 305s? Also, what fuel are you using? Thanks for he reply. I have a 17 exl and ours are replaced at 72000km(honda covered it) but scared it will re occur. Trying higher octane top tier fuel but not sure if it even helps.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts