Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
TSBs only are covered if the vehicle is under warranty vs a recall that is fixed for all vehicles because of a safety issue. That being said would it be a compelling argument that if this happens during driving that it could be considered a safety issue? Hard to say. But with the amount of people having the same issue around the same mileage you would think there would be some official response to who will be covered and who will not. There’s conflicting info that some people have had it replaced at no charge and others paying close to $1800.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently experienced this issue with my 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L with a little over 60K miles on it and am pretty livid. I called Honda @ (800) 999-1009 to complain and they said the more calls they get the quicker a recall will probably be issued and refunds issued, so please call them everyone. The lady I spoke with said she had already spoken to multiple people with the same complaint. Also to note--it's better to call Honda before you get the repairs done than after, as they are more able to help with the cost at the time. I was leaving the next day for a trip so I just told Honda to go ahead and do it unfortunately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to have this done on our 2016 Elite at 53,000 miles. Honda would not cover the cost. The service tech at the dealership told me that they are seeing 2 to 3 of these per month. Surely this will become a recall at some point...

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the response I received from Honda. VERY FRUSTRATED WITH HONDA!!!

We value you as a Honda customer and we appreciate the opportunity of responding to your concern. On behalf of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., we offer our sincere apologies for the experience you are having with your 2017 Pilot.

Upon further review of the circumstances regarding fuel injectors, we confirmed your vehicle is outside of the warranty from the manufacturer by mileage. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty for your vehicle is 3 years of the original purchase date, or 36k miles, whichever comes first. In addition, we verified there are currently no open campaigns pertaining to this matter (safety recall, warranty extension or product update). We will document your feedback as a product complaint.

If you have any additional feedback or concerns, please feel free to reach back out to us.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service
Case #

·
Registered
72 Posts
What code was pulled? PO4030 is being covered under the emissions warranty, 7/70 I believe. Also, anyone buying a pilot should buy an extended warranty just before the factory warranty runs out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What code was pulled? PO4030 is being covered under the emissions warranty, 7/70 I believe. Also, anyone buying a pilot should buy an extended warranty just before the factory warranty runs out.
P219B - generic diagnostic trouble code (DTC) - means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an air to fuel ratio imbalance for the bank of the engine which does not contain the number one cylinder.

Interesting reading this. Powertrain. My discussions with the dealership and Honda indicated this was not covered under the powertrain / engine warranty. Seems kind of odd since the error was tied to the powertrain. I will contact Honda again. Thanks for the information!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update from Honda:

Information I sent in:
Concerning this issue. I failed to mention that the error code diagnosed by the Honda dealership was P219B - generic diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Looking this up indicated that this was an issue with the powertrain control module (PCM), which has detected an air to fuel ratio imbalance for the bank of the engine which does not contain the number one cylinder.

Why is this not covered by the Powertrain warranty? It would seem that if the error code indicated 'Powertrain Control Module' and is connected to the engine, should be covered by the Powertrain warranty.

I am confused and frustrated with what is covered by the Honda PowerTrain warranty? I like Honda vehicles a lot, but this frustrates me that an error tied to the powertrain and the failure of the components in the engine (fuel injectors) are deemed 'not part of the engine'.

Thank you for your concern on this matter.

Response from Honda:

Thank you for providing us with this information.

We have confirmed these fuel injectors are covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. Your vehicle is currently outside of these parameters by the mileage. Please visit https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL_02971_2017_Honda_Warranty_Basebook__KA__FINAL.pdf page 10, to view what is covered under the Power Train Warranty.

My response:
Thank you for the prompt reply. Looking at the warranty manual, page 10, what is covered under the Power Train Warranty, it looks like the engine is covered:
" Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing gears and gaskets, timing chain/belt and cover,flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, intake and exhaust manifolds,engine mounts, engine/powertrain control module, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets."
Looking at the definition of "all internal parts" I looked up the definition of what an internal part of the cylinder block and head. Per reference from Honda looking up internal parts of the engine,Select Parts Category - 2017 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | E Honda Parts Store
it shows the fuel injectors as part of the 'internal parts of the engine". I looked through the entire PDF and there is no reference to the fuel injector, which I understand, but why isn't it considered part of the internal engine. Without the injectors working properly, then engine will not work properly.

If the fuel injectors are not covered by the warranty, are their recommendations from Honda for maintenance or additives I should follow so I don't have this issue every 2 years?

Again, I like the Honda Pilot very much. But I have never seen this on other vehicles at such a short period of time. If this would have been a spark plug, no problem, tires, no problem. Internal parts of the engine, which is where i think this falls, seems kind of odd.

Response from Honda
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We can only recommend following the maintenance minder in the vehicle for all services and maintenance needed for your vehicle. Unfortunately, we dont have access to information regarding why the fuel injectors are not apart of the Power Train Warranty as a internal engine component.

Not sure where to go from here. Very frustrated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update from Honda:

Information I sent in:
Concerning this issue. I failed to mention that the error code diagnosed by the Honda dealership was P219B - generic diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Looking this up indicated that this was an issue with the powertrain control module (PCM), which has detected an air to fuel ratio imbalance for the bank of the engine which does not contain the number one cylinder.

Why is this not covered by the Powertrain warranty? It would seem that if the error code indicated 'Powertrain Control Module' and is connected to the engine, should be covered by the Powertrain warranty.

I am confused and frustrated with what is covered by the Honda PowerTrain warranty? I like Honda vehicles a lot, but this frustrates me that an error tied to the powertrain and the failure of the components in the engine (fuel injectors) are deemed 'not part of the engine'.

Thank you for your concern on this matter.

Response from Honda:

Thank you for providing us with this information.

We have confirmed these fuel injectors are covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. Your vehicle is currently outside of these parameters by the mileage. Please visit https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL_02971_2017_Honda_Warranty_Basebook__KA__FINAL.pdf page 10, to view what is covered under the Power Train Warranty.

My response:
Thank you for the prompt reply. Looking at the warranty manual, page 10, what is covered under the Power Train Warranty, it looks like the engine is covered:
" Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing gears and gaskets, timing chain/belt and cover,flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, intake and exhaust manifolds,engine mounts, engine/powertrain control module, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets."
Looking at the definition of "all internal parts" I looked up the definition of what an internal part of the cylinder block and head. Per reference from Honda looking up internal parts of the engine,Select Parts Category - 2017 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | E Honda Parts Store
it shows the fuel injectors as part of the 'internal parts of the engine". I looked through the entire PDF and there is no reference to the fuel injector, which I understand, but why isn't it considered part of the internal engine. Without the injectors working properly, then engine will not work properly.

If the fuel injectors are not covered by the warranty, are their recommendations from Honda for maintenance or additives I should follow so I don't have this issue every 2 years?

Again, I like the Honda Pilot very much. But I have never seen this on other vehicles at such a short period of time. If this would have been a spark plug, no problem, tires, no problem. Internal parts of the engine, which is where i think this falls, seems kind of odd.

Response from Honda
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We can only recommend following the maintenance minder in the vehicle for all services and maintenance needed for your vehicle. Unfortunately, we dont have access to information regarding why the fuel injectors are not apart of the Power Train Warranty as a internal engine component.

Not sure where to go from here. Very frustrated.
That's really poor customer support from Honda. They know the injectors are a problem - they should stand behind the product and do the right thing. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You
That's really poor customer support from Honda. They know the injectors are a problem - they should stand behind the product and do the right thing. Very disappointing.
You may want to try talking to the GM of the dealership where the car was purchased.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hearing a lot of "noise" about the emissions systems check engine light / fuel injectors issue on here and facebook. Note that this is just the car throwing a minor diagnostics / trouble code, it isn't preventing your car from running or having any noticeable impact on the car getting you around or its performance.

I feel some folks here are over-dramatizing this - nobody's being stranded by a P0430 trouble code that can be cleared with a $20 handheld reader and probably won't come back for many months....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hearing a lot of "noise" about the emissions systems check engine light / fuel injectors issue on here and facebook. Note that this is just the car throwing a minor diagnostics / trouble code, it isn't preventing your car from running or having any noticeable impact on the car getting you around or its performance.

I feel some folks here are over-dramatizing this - nobody's being stranded by a P0430 trouble code that can be cleared with a $20 handheld reader and probably won't come back for many months....
You should do some more reading about this issue. Attached is the TSB. Performance can and is being impacted. The "noise" is real, not just hearsay.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is very concerning to me. I have a '17 EX-L (bought new in 11/17) that I put I very low miles on (~7K per year). Seems like this issue is popping up past the 25K mileage mark for most folks, is that right? At my rate, I won't hit that mileage until the 4 year mark of ownership (2021).

Hoping there's a TSB that comes out. But not holding my breath on that.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts