Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a friend with a 2016 pilot. I was worried things like this may happen since they switched to direct injection in 2016 from the previous multi port injection. With the injector face directly in the cylinder running against the high pressure combustion environment in the cylinder is extreme environment for possible problems. I was going to suggest she plan to run some fuel additive on occasion and an intake treatment like Seafoam every 5K or 10K to help keep the valves clean.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to clean the valves with fuel additives with direct injection (DI). regards...

biz
;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Unfortunately, it is not possible to clean the valves with fuel additives with direct injection (DI). regards...

biz
;)
Biz, If I fog seafoam through a vacuum line on the intake every 10K will it help any to clean the valves? Or is this a wasted effort?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yikes.... this worries me. My 16 EX-L has 37k miles and I am experiencing some very troubling symptoms. For example, when I’m creeping through a parking lot at idle (no gas) and the parking lot inclines, when I apply the gas it almost feels like the engine is trying to stall. Also noticed the car slightly jolting forward repeatedly.
My 17 Elite was actually stalling while I was driving (usually only under 5mph or with the autostart/stop feature) but the dealership couldn't figure it out, claimed there were no "codes" to help them so they replaced the battery. Again talking to them today they keep saying there were no codes, I'm getting a feeling that they are trying to get out of something or not tell me something. Now 7 weeks later, no stalling (yet) but all the systems failed, every light and code flashed. This time they said they didn't connect the battery right. I find it hard to believe that it took 7 weeks for that to be a problem, so they said they fixed that problem and not even 3 days later I have the same problem with all the systems failing. Now they say they have to replace the fuel injectors. This is my 3rd Honda, 2nd Pilot and never had any issues like this. I am beyond angry and will be talking to the dealership about my options. I won't be going back to this dealership anyways since I have zero faith in their ability to fix my car.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I traded my 2017 EX-L for a 2019 EX-L about a month or so ago. Never had an issue with the 2017. Anyone know if it's been resolved in the 2019?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I traded my 2017 EX-L for a 2019 EX-L about a month or so ago. Never had an issue with the 2017. Anyone know if it's been resolved in the 2019?
Read the attachment in post #14. As of 7-19-19, some 2019 Pilot's are affected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Pilot Elite is at the dealership right now, pending a decision from Honda America to cover my out-of-warranty (I’m at ~52,000 miles) fuel injection replacement. I’m also upset as a longtime Honda customer who thinks it’s ridiculous that this issue with all the activity on this thread isn’t being considered as an official recall. My hope is that at least the temporarily suspended Service Bulletin 19-073 does indeed get revised and reposted to cover the cost of fixing the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Surprise! Honda America declined to cover the cost. Below is an edited transcript of my chat session:

Honda (9/24/2019, 8:52:05 AM): Thank you for providing this information. Upon review of your request for assistance with the fuel injectors it is considered an emission part.
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:52:44 AM): Emissions warranties vary by state, based off of your state the warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date whichever comes first.
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:53:12 AM): We have verified your vehicle is no longer in the parameters of the warranty and the cost of repair would be relinquished to the owner.
Me (9/24/2019, 8:53:33 AM): So, there is no goodwill offered by Honda?
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:54:05 AM): Correct, I apologize as we respectfully decline any assistance for your issue.
Me (9/24/2019, 8:55:11 AM): This is upsetting to a loyal Honda customer. I'm losing my confidence in the company and the vehicles. Honda is supposed to be a reliable brand!
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:55:43 AM): I understand this is frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Me (9/24/2019, 8:56:48 AM): Bummer; I guess we won't be doing future business with Honda.
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:57:30 AM): I am sorry that you feel this way. I will document concerns pertaining to this matter. Do you have any further concerns at this time?
Me (9/24/2019, 8:58:41 AM): My further concerns will be brought to the BBB, FTC, and NHTSA
Honda (9/24/2019, 9:00:46 AM): I understand, I once more apologize. If you do not require any further assistance we thank you for contacting American Honda.

So, I guess I'm paying for the service myself. Good luck to any other Piloteers out there with this same issue!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Surprise! Honda America declined to cover the cost. Below is an edited transcript of my chat session:

Honda (9/24/2019, 8:52:05 AM): Thank you for providing this information. Upon review of your request for assistance with the fuel injectors it is considered an emission part.
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:52:44 AM): Emissions warranties vary by state, based off of your state the warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date whichever comes first.
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:53:12 AM): We have verified your vehicle is no longer in the parameters of the warranty and the cost of repair would be relinquished to the owner.
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:54:05 AM): Correct, I apologize as we respectfully decline any assistance for your issue.
Me (9/24/2019, 8:55:11 AM): This is upsetting to a loyal Honda customer. I'm losing my confidence in the company and the vehicles. Honda is supposed to be a reliable brand!
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:55:43 AM): I understand this is frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Me (9/24/2019, 8:56:48 AM): Bummer; I guess we won't be doing future business with Honda.
Honda (9/24/2019, 8:57:30 AM): I am sorry that you feel this way. I will document concerns pertaining to this matter. Do you have any further concerns at this time?
Me (9/24/2019, 8:58:41 AM): My further concerns will be brought to the BBB, FTC, and NHTSA
Honda (9/24/2019, 9:00:46 AM): I understand, I once more apologize. If you do not require any further assistance we thank you for contacting American Honda.

So, I guess I'm paying for the service myself. Good luck to any other Piloteers out there with this same issue!
You are probably just chatting with a low level agent that doesn't really care what you say. They just want to get through the chat and move on. You could ask for a supervisor and try to work you way up the chain but not sure how that would play out. Doing a bit of research on the Pilot, I knew when I bought it I had to get the extended warranty JUST in case I was one of the unlucky ones that got hit by one of these issues. I also live in one of the States that have the extended Emissions Warranty to I am covered there too.

If the end result is it won't be covered under warranty work, you can see what a normal mechanic will charge to do the work vs the dealer. I watched a Youtube video on replacing the injectors and it really doesn't look like a very difficult job. I have built engines from the ground up but what I mean is, it doesn't look like anything special with the replacement so any good mechanic should be able to do it without a problem. Nothing a Honda dealer has to do type of thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is really upsetting. I'M IN MARYLAND, which is one of the 17 states that it goes up to 50k miles for emissions. At 54k miles they wouldn't pay to replace the oil pressure sensor that went bad.
Btw dont trust the dealer. Go buy a BlueDriver bluetooth OBD2 reader that works with an app on your phone. I'm able to see exactly what code is thrown.
The code it threw for me told me exactly which oil pressure sensor was bad and I changed it myself.
There's actually a youtube video of how to replave the fuel rails and injectors on the new pilot. They guy takes you step by step. I would (will) do it myself when the day comes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My hope is that at least the temporarily suspended Service Bulletin 19-073 does indeed get revised and reposted to cover the cost of fixing the problem.
TSB 19-073 was suspended because of a parts shortage (didn't say which part). It has sense been re-posted but no additional information was added.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
Afternoon, I was reading some the threads and noticed a trend. This is happening to us now with our 2016 Honda Pilot EX with 74,000 miles. Multiple lights came on while vehicle was being drive from San Antonio to Temple, TX. The lights worried me cause they were like Power Steering, Emission Control, Traction Control, and Tow assist. I took the car to the dealer and they told me this is a known issue and there was a service bulletin on it. It relates to the Injectors being bad due to metal shards in the injector assembly. He told me the injectors had to be replaced and it was like 2,000+. I was like really, I have to pay that on a three year old car. It is Unfortunately outside of the warranty because the bullentin said that Honda would replace it free upto 30k miles. I paid for the injectors to be cleaned and that resolved the issue for about a month. The vehicle is driveable but now we are cautious with it. I have engaged Honda Corporation but honestly I am thinking about trading it in and taking the loss.
Are you sure you just don't need a battery? The injectors will impact the way the Pilot accelerates, etc. Sounds like yours just threw a bunch of dummy lights with is a Honda tell-tale sign of a batter going bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list. Just left Honda dealership. 2017 Pilot Touring with 64,000 miles. Engine light came on and message about emission system problem. I have an engine scanner and checked the code. It was P0340 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold- Bank 2) - I saw a TSB 17-136 about reprogramming module and showed to dealership. They came back and said it was injectors. $1400. As with the rest of you, very disappointed with Honda. I have a friend that is technician and Honda Dealership and will consult with him. Sounds like Honda not admitting to any issues. I still have a 2006 Honda Odyssey with 260,000 miles and have never had a problem. Maybe they are losing there edge on quality. Sad to see.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Absolutely unbelievable. Absolutely not the Honda I grew up with. It's a sad day when you can't count on Honda to 1 - be reliable & 2 - not be accountable. I was interested in buying a Pilot about a half year ago. So I came on a few Honda forums, not really expecting to see anything but glowing reviews. Boy, was I surprised at what I saw. Complaint after complaint and even anger. Same problems unresolved year after year, unresolved - for this Pilot generation. Transmission, Injectors, Head Unit/Infotainment, Rear Suspension, Service department issues - It was like I was reading a Chrysler forum! I nixed the idea of the Pilot purchase - even with the huge discounts being offered. Honda had a reputation (in my head) of being practically bulletproof regarding the quality of the build, reliability, longevity and customer focus. Apparently that is all history. Another vehicle I have been looking at but have nixed until the 2021 model is the Subaru Ascent, because they are having issues as well. HOWEVER, there is a difference. Subaru is taking care of the issues and taking care of their customers - and by and large, they are remaining positive.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You guys think Subaru is helping people with head gasket issues after the warranty goes up? Or Toyota is replacing the "sealed" transmissions on the Tundras when the fluid gets too old? Or Chevy is replacing Silverado's with failed AFM lifters after the warranty?

Warranties have to stop at some point. Yes, it sucks that common problem areas often don't get realized in extended warranties or recalls for replacement. Yes, it sucks this has happened to you. Yes, I would be really pissed as well.

But at the end of the day these companies are all for profit and have a contractual relationship with the buyers... if they live up to their side of the contract they don't owe us anything.

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can add me to the list too! I only have 47600 miles on my 2017 Pilot and the Emission System light came on. Paid $67 for the dealer to check for what the problem was. Code was po 340. Said 1 injector was rich and needed to replace injectors, cost will be around $1800 with tax. Called Honda and complained. Waiting to hear back. This is my second Pilot. Still have the 2009 Pilot which has around 150000 miles. No problems with the 2009. I have to say I am saddened by this. I've been a loyal Honda owner for years, and evening telling everyone how happy I've been with them. If Honda does not take responsibility for this, I will look at buying another brand from here on out. Maybe Toyota.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys think Subaru is helping people with head gasket issues after the warranty goes up? Or Toyota is replacing the "sealed" transmissions on the Tundras when the fluid gets too old? Or Chevy is replacing Silverado's with failed AFM lifters after the warranty?

Warranties have to stop at some point. Yes, it sucks that common problem areas often don't get realized in extended warranties or recalls for replacement. Yes, it sucks this has happened to you. Yes, I would be really pissed as well.

But at the end of the day these companies are all for profit and have a contractual relationship with the buyers... if they live up to their side of the contract they don't owe us anything.
Meh, people like to dump on VW but on my wife's 2012 2.0 turbo they replaced all the fuel injectors under warranty although the vehicle was well past warranty terms. Brought her 2017 VW in today (we have had all service done at this dealership) as a check engine light came on and a radiator fluid level warning came on the prior week and I added coolant for the first time ever, and the car has 46k on it. Dealer called and said it was the MFS tripping the emission warning and the water pump was going out/leaking and said they would cover both for us although it is out of warranty. Completely different mindset than Honda when my fuel injectors and assembly last week and wouldn't do jack as 1,500 miles out of the 36k warranty and I bought it new less than 2 years ago and had all service done at the dealership. That sends a poor message to me. I have never been an extended warranty person, but if I wanted a Pilot I would not buy a new or used 2016 vintage forward without an extended warranty as it is not if, it is when.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ha! Didnt even realize he used BlueDriver too, anyway here's the video of how to do the job:
That video makes my stomach hurt to watch... So sloppy, bolts laying everywhere...”gotta be careful to not drop one of these bolts in the intake port” How about dont leave em laying around?

But, it shows the job....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Meh, people like to dump on VW but on my wife's 2012 2.0 turbo they replaced all the fuel injectors under warranty although the vehicle was well past warranty terms. Brought her 2017 VW in today (we have had all service done at this dealership) as a check engine light came on and a radiator fluid level warning came on the prior week and I added coolant for the first time ever, and the car has 46k on it. Dealer called and said it was the MFS tripping the emission warning and the water pump was going out/leaking and said they would cover both for us although it is out of warranty. Completely different mindset than Honda when my fuel injectors and assembly last week and wouldn't do jack as 1,500 miles out of the 36k warranty and I bought it new less than 2 years ago and had all service done at the dealership. That sends a poor message to me. I have never been an extended warranty person, but if I wanted a Pilot I would not buy a new or used 2016 vintage forward without an extended warranty as it is not if, it is when.
This is pretty rare treatment... I'm gonna guess you will continue to buy from them, I would if I found a dealer like that. Unfortunately all of the dealers around me for every manufacturer have bad customer service, so I have little to no allegiance to the dealers.

Has anyone with the injector problems looked into the Federal Emissions Warranty? I still find it hard to believe that fuel injectors are not part of the drive train.. https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles-eg/federal-extended-emissions-warranties-are-often-forgotten-or-overlooked.html
Are you the same Aviator from DriveAccord some years back? With the 6-6 sedan?

21 - 40 of 82 Posts