Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2017 Pilot almost 2 months ago to the day. The “maintenance due” light came on last week. Made an appt. to have it serviced, then yesterday the “emissions system problem” light came on. I noticed it was driving sluggish and seemed to slightly accelerate while sitting at red lights. The dealership says it needs new fuel injectors and that it’s covered under warranty. I was happy that it’s covered but floored that it needs this type of service at 42,000 miles!

This is my first Honda. My Jeep had nearly 200K miles before I had issues. My Kia Soul just now messed up with 150K miles. I bought the Pilot because I’ve heard it’s a reliable car. After reading many posts on here about 2016 Hondas having this same problem, I’m wondering if I should trade it in now or stick with it. I absolutely love this car, but I don’t want to spend unnecessary money for a car that’s having issues with less than 50K miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yikes.... this worries me. My 16 EX-L has 37k miles and I am experiencing some very troubling symptoms. For example, when I’m creeping through a parking lot at idle (no gas) and the parking lot inclines, when I apply the gas it almost feels like the engine is trying to stall. Also noticed the car slightly jolting forward repeatedly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes.... this worries me. My 16 EX-L has 37k miles and I am experiencing some very troubling symptoms. For example, when I’m creeping through a parking lot at idle (no gas) and the parking lot inclines, when I apply the gas it almost feels like the engine is trying to stall. Also noticed the car slightly jolting forward repeatedly.
That sounds EXACTLY the same as mine! Mine feels like it's about to stall at red lights, and the acceleration is awful now. I went on vacation shortly after getting the car, which was 5 hours away, and it felt like I'd hit 90 mph barely touching the gas. Now, I dang near have to floor it in order to get to 60 mph. I'm dropping it off at the dealership in the morning to have the fuel injectors replaced. If I were you, I'd go ahead and schedule an appointment before the engine light comes on. Hopefully, your warranty will cover the cost as well. Keep me posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your lucky I’ve read seen a few people with the fuel injector issue and dealerships saying only covered under 3/36!
I know! I purchased extra warranty when I bought the car, but I'm pretty certain that this particular issue is still under factory warranty. I'll ask tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you buy used? maybe something the previous owner did...
I did buy used. One previous owner. I saw that the car was serviced on time. With the exception of mileage, the car looks brand spanking new on the inside and outside. I've probably done more "damage" on the inside in 2 months than he did when he had it. LOL. I asked the sales person why the guy decided to trade it in because it is a VERY nice car. He claimed the guy upgraded to an elite. Of course, there's no real way for me to verify this, but I wouldn't be surprised if he traded it in due to issues similar to the ones we are posting about. I'm surely thinking about it!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I know! I purchased extra warranty when I bought the car, but I'm pretty certain that this particular issue is still under factory warranty. I'll ask tomorrow.

Thats good. Did you get Hondacare or a 3rd party? From what I understand from people posting its only covered under 3/36 but with Hondacare its covered until it works out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, I’m not sure if it’s HondaCare, but I sure hope it covers the car for the duration of this issue! Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Afternoon, I was reading some the threads and noticed a trend. This is happening to us now with our 2016 Honda Pilot EX with 74,000 miles. Multiple lights came on while vehicle was being drive from San Antonio to Temple, TX. The lights worried me cause they were like Power Steering, Emission Control, Traction Control, and Tow assist. I took the car to the dealer and they told me this is a known issue and there was a service bulletin on it. It relates to the Injectors being bad due to metal shards in the injector assembly. He told me the injectors had to be replaced and it was like 2,000+. I was like really, I have to pay that on a three year old car. It is Unfortunately outside of the warranty because the bullentin said that Honda would replace it free upto 30k miles. I paid for the injectors to be cleaned and that resolved the issue for about a month. The vehicle is driveable but now we are cautious with it. I have engaged Honda Corporation but honestly I am thinking about trading it in and taking the loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not sure why the dealership charged you. My car had about 39K miles when I bought it and I was charged nothing for the replacement of the fuel injectors. Also, when I looked at my receipt, it specifically said that there was no charge due to the bulletin report. Honestly, there should be a full on recall. I don’t know why some people are being told they have to pay while others do not. I will say that although I am in love with my pilot, if something else goes amiss or if this same problem happens again, I’m getting rid of it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Afternoon, I was reading some the threads and noticed a trend. This is happening to us now with our 2016 Honda Pilot EX with 74,000 miles. Multiple lights came on while vehicle was being drive from San Antonio to Temple, TX. The lights worried me cause they were like Power Steering, Emission Control, Traction Control, and Tow assist. I took the car to the dealer and they told me this is a known issue and there was a service bulletin on it. It relates to the Injectors being bad due to metal shards in the injector assembly. He told me the injectors had to be replaced and it was like 2,000+. I was like really, I have to pay that on a three year old car. It is Unfortunately outside of the warranty because the bullentin said that Honda would replace it free upto 30k miles. I paid for the injectors to be cleaned and that resolved the issue for about a month. The vehicle is driveable but now we are cautious with it. I have engaged Honda Corporation but honestly I am thinking about trading it in and taking the loss.
I've traded in lots of 3 year old cars with decent miles and never taken a loss. Most of these were at really low interest rates with little to no money down and so not a lot of equity upfront. My guess is you can get out of this and at least break even if not in the positive.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Add me to the list of replaced injectors and rails. Popped a P0403 code yesterday. They did a cylinder test as per S/B 19-073. My vehicle fell under S/B 19-072. Cylinders 4 and 5 failed under rich. I have HondaCare up through 8/120 and they said even if I did not it would be covered up to 50,000 miles. I’m at 48,900 currently on my 4+ year old Pilot. I was waiting for this to happen.

·
Registered
466 Posts
As of July 19, Honda has pulled bulletin A19-072, and A19-073 bulletin has been temporarily suspended, it will be revised and reposted in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Pilot almost 2 months ago to the day. The “maintenance due” light came on last week. Made an appt. to have it serviced, then yesterday the “emissions system problem” light came on. I noticed it was driving sluggish and seemed to slightly accelerate while sitting at red lights. The dealership says it needs new fuel injectors and that it’s covered under warranty. I was happy that it’s covered but floored that it needs this type of service at 42,000 miles!

This is my first Honda. My Jeep had nearly 200K miles before I had issues. My Kia Soul just now messed up with 150K miles. I bought the Pilot because I’ve heard it’s a reliable car. After reading many posts on here about 2016 Hondas having this same problem, I’m wondering if I should trade it in now or stick with it. I absolutely love this car, but I don’t want to spend unnecessary money for a car that’s having issues with less than 50K miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m about to go through my 2nd set of fuel injectors on my ‘16 Honda Pilot. Replaced the first time at 26k, which was covered by the warranty. Now, at 104k, I need a new set which will set me back about $2000 at the dealership!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m about to go through my 2nd set of fuel injectors on my ‘16 Honda Pilot. Replaced the first time at 26k, which was covered by the warranty. Now, at 104k, I need a new set which will set me back about $2000 at the dealership!
Ugh! That's crazy. I have never had to replace fuel injectors on any cars that I have owned? If they replaced the "bad" ones with good ones, you would expect no problems. Sorry to hear about this. You should call Honda, sometimes they will pick up part of the cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your state emission warranty. Massachusetts and some other states require an emission warranty to 7 years and I believe 70K miles. My 2016 came up with the emission error code at 60K which required new injectors and rails and it was covered by the emission warranty.

Interesting - i got the error code using and odbii reader and two dealers pretended they didn't know what it was - including the dealer I purchased it from. I called another dealer that I was more comfortable with - and they basically knew what it was immediately and were "pretty sure it was covered". Basically, they verified the error code I gave them over the phone and the new injectors were installed 3 hours later under warranty..

Ed

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a friend with a 2016 pilot. I was worried things like this may happen since they switched to direct injection in 2016 from the previous multi port injection. With the injector face directly in the cylinder running against the high pressure combustion environment in the cylinder is extreme environment for possible problems. I was going to suggest she plan to run some fuel additive on occasion and an intake treatment like Seafoam every 5K or 10K to help keep the valves clean.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts