Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the Pilot for 10 minutes and then drained the ATF fluid for a couple of hours with back slight raised. I measured the amount of drained ATF fluid and was surprised that it was a little over 4 quarts. I thought the drain and re-fill called for 3.3 quarts. Anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
You get a little extra out when you jack up the back. Also it may have been over filled slightly to begin with. Fluid also expands when heated so you always check levels when up to temp. Nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I drove the Pilot for 10 minutes and then drained the ATF fluid for a couple of hours with back slight raised. I measured the amount of drained ATF fluid and was surprised that it was a little over 4 quarts. I thought the drain and re-fill called for 3.3 quarts. Anyone else have this happen to them?
If you elevated the driver side rear jack point and let it drip, you can safely pour in 3.8 quarts. Then drive until the fluid warms. Park on level ground, turn off engine and check level. You might be able to put another ounce, but you should be good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've done several D&F on my pilot and had various amounts drained. anywhere from 3.2 to 4qts. What I came up with, is drain and fill after sitting overnight and checking the level prior to doing that - if it is right in the middle between the dots (when cold), most likely you'll drain around 3.5qts. Also, draining cold allows to measure exactly how much would need to be added back to get it to original level (granted the level was good to begin with). hope this helps

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
You should always warm it up well prior to draining as it will keep a lot of the fine contaminates suspended in the oil and you remove them when you drain the old fluid. Draining cold will leave all that fine stuff behind as sludge.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've done several D&F on my pilot and had various amounts drained. anywhere from 3.2 to 4qts. What I came up with, is drain and fill after sitting overnight and checking the level prior to doing that - if it is right in the middle between the dots (when cold), most likely you'll drain around 3.5qts. Also, draining cold allows to measure exactly how much would need to be added back to get it to original level (granted the level was good to begin with). hope this helps
You nailed it......sitting overnight allows more fluid to drain to the lower area of the tranny, thus more fluid drained out. Twice now I've gotten dead on 1 gallon drained (after sitting overnight, '17 Ridgeline).....pretty much eliminates guessing how much fluid to put back in. I use a opaque plastic drain pan (on a level garage floor) marked precisely at 1 gallon. Works for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
You nailed it......sitting overnight allows more fluid to drain to the lower area of the tranny, thus more fluid drained out. Twice now I've gotten dead on 1 gallon drained (after sitting overnight, '17 Ridgeline).....pretty much eliminates guessing how much fluid to put back in. I use a opaque plastic drain pan (on a level garage floor) marked precisely at 1 gallon. Works for me. YMMV.
I would agree that this is possible if left to drain until it stops. 👍 More so with drivers side rear jacked.

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
846 Posts
After 30 minutes of plug out, I see a drip about every 15-20 seconds......at that point it’s time to snug the plug and refill.👌

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I have always drained when ATF is warm / hot so I get out as much old fluid as possible. The whole back of the car was jacked-up with both wheels about 4 inches off ground. I replaced it with 3.5 quarts, drove it, then used dipstick and it was at bottom marker, so I added another 1/2 quart for a total of 4 quarts.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My thinking is, when doing a hot d&f there is plenty of fluid still in the top of the tranny. It takes hours for that fluid to drip (via gravity) down to the sump at the bottom of the tranny.

I put a floor jack under the front driver's lifting point and raise a little (wheel still on the ground). I get a measured gallon of cold (room temp) fluid out put a gallon of fresh cold fluid in.👌

1 - 11 of 11 Posts