Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2017 Honda Pilot touring model. Bought it used with around 9k miles back in 2018. With in a few months of owning it I started getting engine light on saying the 02 sensor was bad and occasionally make it where my Pilot wouldn't move. I could reset it and move on. Do to the repair cost I couldn't afford to get it fixed. Finally a recall came out in 2021.Took it in had it repaired at 69k miles on it. They replaced the bad injectors and reprogram (software update) the PGM-FI and TCM. Few months after the transmission would act like it couldn't find the gear and would go into neutral tell the rpms came down. It would do this every once in awhile but not consistent. Put off taking it in do to distance to service center and needing the vehicle to get back and forth to work. Big mistake on my part. Well on my way back from a road trip it decided to go completely out. Had to get it towed to the Honda Service center that was about 1hr away. My Honda is out of warranty and they are saying it's not related to the software update. Looks like I'll have to pay around 7k out of pocket. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned and will never by another Honda product. I'll be reaching out to Honda USA but I'm not very optimistic about it. I'm curious if anyone else has had issues after the software update?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
quesiton
did the dealer install the transmission cooler and the atf filter?
did they pay for it? if not what was the cost?
i am dealing with the same issue.
thanks
The torque converter was replaced under the Honda warranty, at no cost to me. I asked for the transmission cooler, and they charged me for parts, but not labor—or so they claimed. I think that they actually charged me full price, but I wanted the Honda cooler. The external filter was something that I insisted they include as part of the warranty work. I felt that the old filter was full of friction material from the torque converter, and they finally agreed to replace it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have 2017 Honda Pilot touring model. Bought it used with around 9k miles back in 2018. With in a few months of owning it I started getting engine light on saying the 02 sensor was bad and occasionally make it where my Pilot wouldn't move. I could reset it and move on. Do to the repair cost I couldn't afford to get it fixed. Finally a recall came out in 2021.Took it in had it repaired at 69k miles on it. They replaced the bad injectors and reprogram (software update) the PGM-FI and TCM. Few months after the transmission would act like it couldn't find the gear and would go into neutral tell the rpms came down. It would do this every once in awhile but not consistent. Put off taking it in do to distance to service center and needing the vehicle to get back and forth to work. Big mistake on my part. Well on my way back from a road trip it decided to go completely out. Had to get it towed to the Honda Service center that was about 1hr away. My Honda is out of warranty and they are saying it's not related to the software update. Looks like I'll have to pay around 7k out of pocket. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned and will never by another Honda product. I'll be reaching out to Honda USA but I'm not very optimistic about it. I'm curious if anyone else has had issues after the software update?
Sorry, but driving for years with an engine light showing a defective part and the vehicle actually not being able to move occasionally when it did happen doesn't equate to the vehicle being the worst vehicle ever owned or built by Honda. Resetting it and moving on until it came on again isn't or wasn't a fix as you knew for two years.

Then the transmission starts acting up and again you keep driving it due to distance to Honda service center and needing your car for work? Even with the car going into neutral at times or it couldn't find the correct gear?

Best of luck hope it works out for you for less than $7000.00

·
Registered
42 Posts
The torque converter was replaced under the Honda warranty, at no cost to me. I asked for the transmission cooler, and they charged me for parts, but not labor—or so they claimed. I think that they actually charged me full price, but I wanted the Honda cooler. The external filter was something that I insisted they include as part of the warranty work. I felt that the old filter was full of friction material from the torque converter, and they finally agreed to replace it.
if i get remanufactured transmission will i receive a new transmission cooler and filter with it?? maybe a stupid questions.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
if i get remanufactured transmission will i receive a new transmission cooler and filter with it?? maybe a stupid questions.
From Honda? There should be a new external filter for sure. If you want an auxiliary cooler, you will probably have to pay for it. You can try to negotiate a cooler as part of the deal, or try to get a discount on it. Auxiliary cooler is not standard equipment on the 3rd Gen Pilots.

If you tow, or plan to tow, you need an auxiliary cooler. There are aftermarket non-Honda coolers available as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From Honda? There should be a new external filter for sure. If you want an auxiliary cooler, you will probably have to pay for it. You can try to negotiate a cooler as part of the deal, or try to get a discount on it. Auxiliary cooler is not standard equipment on the 3rd Gen Pilots.

If you tow, or plan to tow, you need an auxiliary cooler. There are aftermarket non-Honda coolers available as well.
yes from the honda dealer. i never use the car to tow. do i still need a transmission cooler. i was just planing on getting an s vcm disabler.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
An auxiliary cooler is not standard equipment on the Gen 3 Pilots. Do you need to add one? If you are not towing anything, and you are not doing hill climbs in Death Valley, maybe not. It’s really up to you. If you don’t add a cooler, be sure to service the transmission regularly by doing a drain and fill with the proper ATF. I don’t know what interval is recommended by Honda for Gen 3 6 speeds, but I would certainly refresh the ATF every 30k miles. That’s probably more often than Honda recommends, but considering the stories told here about early transmission failure—under 100k miles—I think that frequent ATF changes are well worth the expense.

·
Registered
42 Posts
An auxiliary cooler is not standard equipment on the Gen 3 Pilots. Do you need to add one? If you are not towing anything, and you are not doing hill climbs in Death Valley, maybe not. It’s really up to you. If you don’t add a cooler, be sure to service the transmission regularly by doing a drain and fill with the proper ATF. I don’t know what interval is recommended by Honda for Gen 3 6 speeds, but I would certainly refresh the ATF every 30k miles. That’s probably more often than Honda recommends, but considering the stories told here about early transmission failure—under 100k miles—I think that frequent ATF changes are well worth the expense.
i have read alot about how the atf dw1 fluid shouldnt be used. Synthetic fluid is better such as vasoline synthetic. any comments on that.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i have read alot about how the atf dw1 fluid shouldnt be used. Synthetic fluid is better such as vasoline synthetic. any comments on that.
Here‘s my opinion. Honda DW-1 is a high quality ATF. Honda does not make DW-1. It is manufactured by a lube company to Honda’s specs. I believe that DW-1 is a synthetic base ATF.

Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF is a high quality product made by Ashland Oil Co., a lube manufacturer. Lots of Honda owners have had good results with this ATF.

You can use either ATF, or other approved brands. I think that DW-1 and Maxlife are both good products. If your Pilot has high miles, I think that Maxlife is better because it has seal conditioners.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
565 Posts
Opinions vary on this. I disagree with @STMech in that I think DW-1 is a middling-quality dino-based fluid that overheats easily and loses it's lubricating properties, resulting in damaged torque convertors and shifting problems. That's why Honda recommends 30K service intervals and just about every other manufacturer is 60K or more. I see similar issues on the Honda Odyssey forums with the 6-speed in the 4th gen Ody. Works fine, but once the fluid gets old or overheated you've got problems. (I'll admit, Aisin makes a DW-1 variants and list it as synthetic.)

I'd much rather use Maxlife, or one of the high-end synthetics coming from Redline or Amsoil. I switched to Amsoil ATL in both my Pilot when I owned it and my Odyssey (same 6AT transmission) and I'm not looking back. Redline D6 is probably a good fit for this transmission too.

That said, there are millions of Odyssey, Pilot, and Ridgeline owners who have never used anything but DW-1 and have no complaints so take this for what it is....my .02

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Opinions vary on this. I disagree with @STMech in that I think DW-1 is a middling-quality dino-based fluid that overheats easily and loses it's lubricating properties, resulting in damaged torque convertors and shifting problems. That's why Honda recommends 30K service intervals and just about every other manufacturer is 60K or more. I see similar issues on the Honda Odyssey forums with the 6-speed in the 4th gen Ody. Works fine, but once the fluid gets old or overheated you've got problems. (I'll admit, Aisin makes a DW-1 variants and list it as synthetic.)

I'd much rather use Maxlife, or one of the high-end synthetics coming from Redline or Amsoil. I switched to Amsoil ATL in both my Pilot when I owned it and my Odyssey (same 6AT transmission) and I'm not looking back. Redline D6 is probably a good fit for this transmission too.

That said, there are millions of Odyssey, Pilot, and Ridgeline owners who have never used anything but DW-1 and have no complaints so take this for what it is....my .02
And.. I don’t really have a dog in this fight. I’m running DW-1 in my Pilot right now, but plan to use Maxlife in the future. I thought that DW-1 was synthetic. .?? Either it is or it isn’t. I don’t think that it’s bad ATF. And I can’t get too worked up about it either way. Frequent ATF changes are good for Honda transmissions. Use the ATF that you like.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I want to another 2 cents to this discussion. Honda 5 and 6 speed transmissions are rather unusual. They are really automatic shifting constant mesh manual transmissions. They are not compact nested sets of planetary gears like the GM/Borg-Warner auto trannies that came out of Detroit. Honda trannies have multiple shafts and multiple clutch packs. They need a lot of clean hydraulic oil (ATF) to make everything work. You can neglect a Chevy Hydromatic and it will still work. A Honda needs clean ATF.

Use the brand of quality ATF that you like. Just do frequent drain and fill service. Honda transmissions need it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I want to another 2 cents to this discussion. Honda 5 and 6 speed transmissions are rather unusual. They are really automatic shifting constant mesh manual transmissions. They are not compact nested sets of planetary gears like the GM/Borg-Warner auto trannies that came out of Detroit. Honda trannies have multiple shafts and multiple clutch packs. They need a lot of clean hydraulic oil (ATF) to make everything work. You can neglect a Chevy Hydromatic and it will still work. A Honda needs clean ATF.

Use the brand of quality ATF that you like. Just do frequent drain and fill service. Honda transmissions need it.
once my transmission is replaced i plan using an s vcm disabler and changing atf fluid every 30k miles.
I had my fuel pressure pump and fuel rails replaced at 32K miles. i have read that may people have had issues with the fuel injectors. because i got the fuel pump and fuel rails replaced does that mean im less likely to have an issue with fuel injections. i always use 91 gas.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
once my transmission is replaced i plan using an s vcm disabler and changing atf fluid every 30k miles.
I had my fuel pressure pump and fuel rails replaced at 32K miles. i have read that may people have had issues with the fuel injectors. because i got the fuel pump and fuel rails replaced does that mean im less likely to have an issue with fuel injections. i always use 91 gas.
Was the fuel pump & etc. done under warranty? I believe that there is an extended warranty now from Honda for GDI fuel injectors. You should have received a letter about this. You really don’t need to use 91 octane for daily driving. If you tow a trailer, especially if you are pushing it near the maximum load rating, then Premium would be appropriate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was the fuel pump & etc. done under warranty? I believe that there is an extended warranty now from Honda for GDI fuel injectors. You should have received a letter about this. You really don’t need to use 91 octane for daily driving. If you tow a trailer, especially if you are pushing it near the maximum load rating, then Premium would be appropriate.
no it was not done under warranty. i though it wouldnt be covered so i took it to my local mechanic and he fixed it. will honda replace the fuel injectors for everyone that got the letter bc i got the letter. my mechanic told me about to use 91 because many of the gdi direct engines end up having carbon build up. a fuel cleaner and 91 gas may help in the long run.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
no it was not done under warranty. i though it wouldnt be covered so i took it to my local mechanic and he fixed it. will honda replace the fuel injectors for everyone that got the letter bc i got the letter. my mechanic told me about to use 91 because many of the gdi direct engines end up having carbon build up. a fuel cleaner and 91 gas may help in the long run.
Read your letter on the fuel injector issue. I believe that Honda will reimburse you for the repair.

Fuel injector cleaner and Premium fuel will not make any difference on GDI carbon build up. If your mechanic told you that, you need to get a new mechanic.

GDI carbon builds up on the stems of the intake valves. These areas never see fuel, unlike the earlier Port Fuel Injection systems. Your mech does not seem to understand this.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i submitted a copy of my invoice and the letter to honda and never got anything back.
I’m not Honda, and I have no idea why they are not responding. Perhaps someone else here on the forum can chime in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got a call from the dealership after waiting 3.5 weeks and now they say that i dont need a new transmission but the valve body/solenoid sensor needs replacement. Has anyone has this issue or part replaced. I dont understand how i went from you need a new transmission to, now you dont lets see if this works. Im not sure i just dont think this will work.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I just got a call from the dealership after waiting 3.5 weeks and now they say that i dont need a new transmission but the valve body/solenoid sensor needs replacement. Has anyone has this issue or part replaced. I dont understand how i went from you need a new transmission to, now you dont lets see if this works. Im not sure i just dont think this will work.
The solenoid assembly on the 6 speed transmission is one piece with all the solenoids and their little feed tubes with screens ganged together. It is possible to remove and replace this with the transmission still in the vehicle. If the dealer is saying that this needs to be replaced, then in my opinion, your transmission has an issue with dirty/degraded ATF that has gummed up the solenoids. If you have this work done, insist that they also replace the external filter.

There is an internal filter that is not accessible, as well as an internal hydraulic valve body that cannot be cleaned short of a full rebuild. This is why so many people preach about clean ATF.

Is this warranty work? If so, then I would guess that the Honda Tech Line has told the dealership that this repair will fix your problems. Honda corporate has to sign off on warranty work like this. Are they also replacing the torque converter? Has your transmission set a torque converter trouble code (P0741)?

I would be interested in what a more experienced forum member has to say about this.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts