Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying a 2017 Pilot EX-L with Navi with 75k. Took it for the weekend and while driving noticed low-end crappy power, including tach jumping around from 1-1.5k and like it couldn't get going, once rev'd up seemed to be fine. When up to speed, 65+ after about 30 mins of driving, the Transmission System Warning came on x2 (two separate legs of the trip, about the same place where I could get up to some speed). Turned off and the warning went off and didn't come back for the rest of the trip.

The price is ok, not great but less than the book. Everything else looks great.

Buy or Pass Obviously, going to report findings to the dealer and see what they want to do to resolve, but I doubt they will be taking it to the Honda shop.
(losing confidence in this dealer, as trading in a car bought from them with a blown engine)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Depending on the code in the trans, it likely needs a torque converter. I would want that question answered before determining if the price is reasonable. If I remember correctly, the last converter I put in customer pay was right at $2k.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
It's a known problem. Honda has issued a TSB on the Torque Converter Clutch Lock issue. Their fix is 3 drain and fills of the ATF and a software update. I solved my issue with multiple drain and fills of the ATF and disabling the VCM.

Attachments

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Depending on the code, some are automatically a converter.
Come to think of it, I don't recall having a code with the erratic rpm gauge. Maybe that's a good thing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This isn't a minor issue -- I'd pass. Pilots aren't rare, and it seems to me you'd be better off getting one that doesn't require repairs.

Aside from that, they sold you a car that now has a blown engine, you're test driving another car from there that already has a problem, and you're considering giving them more of your money?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hard pass. If you noticed it you can guarantee the sales staff noticed it. They are just trying to pawn their problem off on somebody else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard pass. If you noticed it you can guarantee the sales staff noticed it. They are just trying to pawn their problem off on somebody else.
To be fair, I took it for a 2 hour drive, they probably never drove it far from the lot where it was traded in on another vehicle. But I smell what your stepping in here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This isn't a minor issue -- I'd pass. Pilots aren't rare, and it seems to me you'd be better off getting one that doesn't require repairs.

Aside from that, they sold you a car that now has a blown engine, you're test driving another car from there that already has a problem, and you're considering giving them more of your money?
The current car, I did put 50k on it since I purchased it. It now sits at 130k, I bought it at 70-80k. I wish they would be a little more helpful on making this a deal.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If it's not setting certain codes, reprogramming and drain/fill x 3 seem to be permanent. If the converter is already damaged, then a new converter is the only fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's not setting certain codes, reprogramming and drain/fill x 3 seem to be permanent. If the converter is already damaged, then a new converter is the only fix.
Thanks - So as long as I have Honda Dealer vouch that it is fixed with above, I feel good to buy. Talk tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts