Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2017 pilot that recently has the timing belt and water pump replaced by our local dealership when we took the car it was just for a oil change but they recommended to replace the timing belt and water pump and we agree to do it cost was $1300, 8 days later my wife was driving to work and the check engine light comes on when she was close to work and started feeling the motor force, she get to work and park the car when she was ready to leave work and start the car the car start throwing white smoke from the muffler, we xall the dealer and they told us to bring the car my wife said that she can’t drive it like that so they send a tow truck to pick it upand then they said they will do a diagnostic to see what happens 4 days later they call and said that the engine is blow and needs to be replace they will charge me about $5000 to replace it with an use engine, they said that the car was overheated and that is why the engine is blown we have videos of that the car was not overheating and I think it has to be something they did wrong or didn’t do when they replace the timing belt please we need some advice
Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
if Overheating is the issue, I suspect the water pump they replaced when they did the timing belt. Was it out of or low on coolant? if not, a mechanical,part failed. If it’s low, maybe they didn’t put the the correct amount if coolant in.

in any case, they need to tell you how they concluded it was overheating and what failed. did your wife notice the temp needle climbing? You should be looking at the gauges every 15-20 secs when driving, at least I always do, just a glance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have zero mechanical knowledge, but I think your dealer messed up. We had a similar situation many years ago (not a Honda). Dealer replaced timing belt. We brought the car home and it was making a weird grinding noise when starting and a, sort of, high pitch noise when running Took the car back to dealer. It turned out to be something about misaligned and bad tension.

·
Registered
449 Posts
How many miles were on it when you had the timing belt changed?

A failed water pump could cause overheating, so could a thermostat if stuck closed....that's pretty unusual though. The white smoke is indicative of a blown head gasket, which an overheated motor would cause.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Sounds like they may have failed to fill it back up with coolant after the timing belt water pump job.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pretty sure their work is guaranteed for a period of time so dealer should cover it as what they did could easily cause an overheating issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if Overheating is the issue, I suspect the water pump they replaced when they did the timing belt. Was it out of or low on coolant? if not, a mechanical,part failed. If it’s low, maybe they didn’t put the the correct amount if coolant in.

in any case, they need to tell you how they concluded it was overheating and what failed. did your wife notice the temp needle climbing? You should be looking at the gauges every 15-20 secs when driving, at least I always do, just a glance.
The tempetures never reached more that what is supposed we have a video and it don’t show the tempeture overheating

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

A failed water pump could cause overheating, so could a thermostat if stuck closed....that's pretty unusual though. The white smoke is indicative of a blown head gasket, which an overheated motor would cause.
It was 120k miles

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Sounds like they screwed something up, and is now NOT owning up to it.

Is this a Honda Dealer? Call Honda

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That is what the dealer said that cause the engine to blow they never give me anything in writing and they don’t want to take ownership

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It was 120k miles, we have no problems before and we always take the car there for maintenance, I have a civic with 300K+ miles on it and never have problems and they are telling me a brand new pilot the engine is blown when they do all the service for it

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Call Honda Corporate

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
119 Posts
4 days later they call and said that the engine is blow and needs to be replace they will charge me about $5000 to replace it with an use engine
With this situation, a Honda dealership recommended repair is to replace the blown engine with a used engine.

Never heard of dealership installing a used engine. Anyone else ever heard of this?

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
We use local salvage yards.
😲 And the shock effect ripples through the Piloteer community.
And I thought I was the only one going to Disneyland. 😁😂🤣

1 - 20 of 66 Posts